GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 8

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Manchester City for example has 4 players that have played all 7 of their games, 2 that have played 6, and 4 that have played 5. Liverpool have 5 that have played all 8 of their games, 2 that have played 7, and 5 that have played 6.

Both were making a lot of noise about 5 subs, and maybe they are right, but they also aren't rotating their squad as much as they could, which would be a huge start if they are concerned about fatigue.
I mean these clubs have to try to win too. Not going to speak to much on the others but Liverpool particularly have have their bench shortened by injuries. Big difference in trusting a guy like Chamberlain/Keita to come off the bench than a guy like Jake Cain, who has been on the bench for I believe all three CL games. It’s not like they can play Joe Gomez at RB to rest Trent, because they need him at CB with Virgil out. They finally signed a backup LB in Tsimikas, but he has been injured or had Covid. Klopp doesn’t do handouts and he needs to have trust in who he is putting in. It’s not that easy. It’s not like any other manager fighting for the league title is going to rotate against Man City either. It’s not like Watford or whoever knowing they are going to lose anyway so they can rotate to save players for a more winnable game. It’s different.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well, okay. If "they have to try to win" and "it's different" for Liverpool than smaller sides, then why should teams 7-20 care about Liverpool's players more than they do? I mean, chips on the table, both Klopp and Guardiola prioritized the results over player safety despite all the impassioned press conferences after the fact. So what are we supposed to make of that?

It's not as if Klopp was rotating players last season when everyone was healthy. Alexander-Arnold played every PL game last season, Salah and Mane played just about every match in multiple competitions. The whole "has to have trust" angle seems like a Klopp problem, not an everyone else problem.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Both answers are yes for big clubs. Smaller clubs maybe not as much because of their lack of depth but they also play less games.
I think it can also help smaller clubs. You can tactical foul more, run your guys at a higher pace, etc. Allows them to disrupt the flow of the game more.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I think the 5 subs is a bit of a red herring.

The issue is that no one has budged on any competition. They're jamming too much into a calendar month

teams has wildly varying pre-seasons. There is no rest for a full calendar year between domestic comps, europe and national duty.

No one wants to sacrifice money, but the schedule is the issue. Taking a couple extra starters out 10 mins before full time on a Sunday in England when you're going ot Turkey Wednesday, back home Sat morning doesn't do all that much.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think it can also help smaller clubs. You can tactical foul more, run your guys at a higher pace, etc. Allows them to disrupt the flow of the game more.
For a team like Brighton with a good amount of depth, you’re not wrong. For a team like say Burnley who have basically no depth, it doesn’t really matter.
Look at the post above yours. It's not happening.
we get it’s not happening doesn’t mean there can’t be a discussion

Reactions: robertmac43

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think the 5 subs is a bit of a red herring.

The issue is that no one has budged on any competition. They're jamming too much into a calendar month

teams has wildly varying pre-seasons. There is no rest for a full calendar year between domestic comps, europe and national duty.

No one wants to sacrifice money, but the schedule is the issue. Taking a couple extra starters out 10 mins before full time on a Sunday in England when you're going ot Turkey Wednesday, back home Sat morning doesn't do all that much.
Completely agree with you.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Look at the post above yours. It's not happening.
We weren't discussing whether or not it will happen..
For a team like Brighton with a good amount of depth, you’re not wrong. For a team like say Burnley who have basically no depth, it doesn’t really matter.

Yeah Brighton is one of the clubs that benefited from the 5 sub rule as we already heavily rotate the squad and have solid depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad