GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Stick to soccer discussions. If any of you have issues, pm me.

Liverpool and United deserve all the crap they get for those performances. It is about 9 hours later and Im still trying to comprehend how Villa won 7-2.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Stick to soccer discussions. If any of you have issues, pm me.

Liverpool and United deserve all the crap they get for those performances. It is about 9 hours later and Im still trying to comprehend how Villa won 7-2.

When you shoot constantly with defenders in front of you...sometimes the ball is just going to hit someone and go in.

Also, the team is like a Ferrari. They don't just barely lose. When it goes wrong, it all goes wrong. Three of those goals were deflected firstly. Then another one was basically given to them from playing around with the ball like dummies. That's four straight from the off. Fact is the team was worse than poor. Like every time the team loses, that was an utter breakdown. The only losses last season in which the team played moderately well were against Arsenal and at Atletico. Sometimes they just rock up to an opposing pitch and don't play well. Sometimes the other team is ready to play and sometimes they aren't. Villa were ready to play today. That's how it is and that's before even accounting for four great players not being able to play.

I should also point out that I do strongly believe Fabinho is going to take Gomez's place in the team for at least the majority of the season and that's part of getting rid of one of the issues in the performance today. He was shit again and needs to be forced to sit on the bench for a while. When that happens he won't get his spot back.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Willian wasn’t even that good at Chelsea his last year. He’d take penalties, free kicks, corners. It made his numbers look respectable, but he did very little from the run of play. Doesn’t make a ton of mistakes with the ball, but doesn’t create much. Any team that scouted the guy well wouldn’t have given him the contract Arsenal did. Arsenal was swayed too much by the English press, I presume.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Who’s the arsenal poster who left?
The best poster ever on this board, Edo. Actually I don't see his account anymore which is quite sad. He had pure brilliance with endless amount of waves of intelligence. Edo if you're reading this please come back!!!! I can't recall but I swear we had an Edmonton Oilers fan who used to come here quite a bit that I haven't seen in a really long time.

three year deal lmao

Besides just one fluke game against a championship side, he's been okay, which is what Willian ever was. He has this weird trait to always wants to cut inside with the ball, it actually isn't that bad because normally all our players stick to the wings but he adds another element. He's created some good chance from running into the inside, but we don't got anybody who can link him up with the forwards so his final third tends to have him surrounded by two to four players at times.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
GOATmez hasn’t been the same since Pulisic put him on a poster. On a bright side, Kimmich has been able to recover from that in the past, so maybe he will also.

Gomez has had ups and downs, but they were masked by Matip being healthy and Lovren being here.

After the 2018 WC, Lovren was injured, Gomez took his spot.
Lovren came back and took the spot back. Lovren got injured again. Gomez took the spot, got injured. Matip took over and looked world class for 6 months.
In 19/20, Matip got injured, Gomez got the first shot but had a few bad games, Lovren took over and looked great. Then got injured again.
Gomez took over and looked largely pedestrian, but noone cared as Liverpool were winning and he's not a popular target to pile criticism on.

He's still very young, and he's still inconsistent (Gomez). He would definitely benefit from Matip being healthy and whoever Lovren's replacement will be being available to Klopp.

But he looks really off form this season.

Then again, so does Virgil, but noone dares say it. He looks like Varane post-WC, a shell of his usual self.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The best poster ever on this board, Edo. Actually I don't see his account anymore which is quite sad. He had pure brilliance with endless amount of waves of intelligence. Edo if you're reading this please come back!!!! I can't recall but I swear we had an Edmonton Oilers fan who used to come here quite a bit that I haven't seen in a really long time.

Besides just one fluke game against a championship side, he's been okay, which is what Willian ever was. He has this weird trait to always wants to cut inside with the ball, it actually isn't that bad because normally all our players stick to the wings but he adds another element. He's created some good chance from running into the inside, but we don't got anybody who can link him up with the forwards so his final third tends to have him surrounded by two to four players at times.

Lol no. Cassano left.

The problem with Arsenal is they don't have any on in the central midfield area that can offer creativity and attack. So the attacking players won't look great. Let's see if deadline day is going to be madness or MADNESS!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The best poster ever on this board, Edo. Actually I don't see his account anymore which is quite sad. He had pure brilliance with endless amount of waves of intelligence. Edo if you're reading this please come back!!!!

He hadn’t been around in about a year, but his account still exists. He just has certain members blocked.
630C5F76-9099-442D-8078-0F9B656F1CFE.jpeg

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that this needed to be highlighted with statistics but...

bnyt702fd9r51.png

I don't like throwing Liverpool players under the bus, but the gap between the best keeper in the league to arguably the worst keeper in the league with the style of play that Liverpool have is just too big. I'd be interested to see where Karius fit on that chart before the CL debacle; I know it's almost impossible to come back from that but he was very good that season and suited Liverpool's play up until the game against Madrid (though I've seen revisionism about him not being good enough in general).

Reactions: Savant

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also Mourinho is becoming more and more likeable.

Had some pretty great quotes this week about United and VAR, Spurs needing an attacking coach and calling Gareth 'Gary' this week because he thought it Gary was short for Gareth. Great stuff.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not that this needed to be highlighted with statistics but...

bnyt702fd9r51.png

I don't like throwing Liverpool players under the bus, but the gap between the best keeper in the league to arguably the worst keeper in the league with the style of play that Liverpool have is just too big. I'd be interested to see where Karius fit on that chart before the CL debacle; I know it's almost impossible to come back from that but he was very good that season and suited Liverpool's play up until the game against Madrid (though I've seen revisionism about him not being good enough in general).
Absolutely. Yes we all know Adrian blows. Adrian is also getting a ton of undeserved abuse on social media because that’s where the culture is now. It’s a shame.

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
When you shoot constantly with defenders in front of you...sometimes the ball is just going to hit someone and go in.

Also, the team is like a Ferrari. They don't just barely lose. When it goes wrong, it all goes wrong. Three of those goals were deflected firstly. Then another one was basically given to them from playing around with the ball like dummies. That's four straight from the off. Fact is the team was worse than poor. Like every time the team loses, that was an utter breakdown. The only losses last season in which the team played moderately well were against Arsenal and at Atletico. Sometimes they just rock up to an opposing pitch and don't play well. Sometimes the other team is ready to play and sometimes they aren't. Villa were ready to play today. That's how it is and that's before even accounting for four great players not being able to play.

I should also point out that I do strongly believe Fabinho is going to take Gomez's place in the team for at least the majority of the season and that's part of getting rid of one of the issues in the performance today. He was shit again and needs to be forced to sit on the bench for a while. When that happens he won't get his spot back.

I actually wonder if Grujic could play some central defender. Maybe in a back three or in a pinch.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Absolutely. Yes we all know Adrian blows. Adrian is also getting a ton of undeserved abuse on social media because that’s where the culture is now. It’s a shame.
Yeah I hate that stuff. I'm all for supporting the person when they're with Liverpool, and I'm also for criticism where it's warranted, but the personal abuse is completely unnecessary (the Lovren stuff recently was deplorable, Karius as well). I hate that side of fandom. I think you can bring up legitimate concerns about a player within a team you support without being scum.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol no. Cassano left.
Cassano hung up the keyboard and entered retirement.
Whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, seriously like when did this happen? How did I miss this? I love you @Cassano

He hadn’t been around in about a year, but his account still exists. He just has certain members blocked.
View attachment 370266
I tried to @ him and it only comes up with a bloke called edog37. Tell me if you @Edo here?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah I hate that stuff. I'm all for supporting the person when they're with Liverpool, and I'm also for criticism where it's warranted, but the personal abuse is completely unnecessary (the Lovren stuff recently was deplorable, Karius as well). I hate that side of fandom. I think you can bring up legitimate concerns about a player within a team you support without being scum.
Yeah and did you see Lovren defending the squad yesterday too?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah and did you see Lovren defending the squad yesterday too?
I went an checked after you mentioned it. Good for him. He knows what's up, and despite all his faults he was always passionate and 100% for Liverpool and his teammates. Always liked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad