GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just checked, Spurs also played 4 pre-season games, the first one about a week after United were finished in the Europa League. Slightly different preparations. Still doesn't explain why so many players look like they completely forgot how to play football.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Manchester United conceding six at home to Spurs, Liverpool shipping seven to Villa,

Safe to say I never expected to see all that happen over the course of half a day.
Weekends like today is why the EPL is so popular, other leagues need to learn if they want to get on EPL in terms of pure entertainment.

Also for how gigantic football is in Great Britain and how much Sky Sports paid for the telly rights, they have some of the worst commentators I've ever listened to. I already told you lot what I think about Keane and Scouserman, but you can add another bloke to that list with Alan Smith. The entire freakin' match it sounded like he was hoping the Blades would win. It wasn't like an undertone speech and words, he kept whining about how much Sheffield deserved to be up in this game. Get lost you biased arse-up. Then you had Evra on which provided absolutely zero insight in the 30 seconds of half-time report surrounded by 15 minutes of commercials. Like wtf? Bill Leslie on the other hand though is brilliant.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think you gotta give a lot of credit to Dean Smith. It woulda been real easy for him to have picked a more conservative lineup with Hourihane over Barkley. He picked an extremely offensive lineup with Barkley and McGinn both in the midfield, and it extremely paid off.

Reactions: Stray Wasp and Peen

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Imagine the outburst if that was Roy Keane there instead of Evra...

The melodrama around United is pretty funny sometimes, honestly. There's a toxic situation with West Ham right now too, but these dudes are seriously about to cry on TV.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
it has been nearly 5 and half years since theyve have a match this embarassing.

Well I would hope so. Hell, that's not even a long time ago for a scoreline like that.

Anyway, I didn't see the match I'm still going to put it out there that I predict Liverpool win the league again. I just find today's scoreline shocking all things considered. Probably fluky to some degree or some context there.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal was solid, weak first half but I thought neither team was awake. A win is a win though. I am loving me Gabriel, but his confusion was responsible for McGroudrick goal - which in itself was beautiful. Yes, Luiz got away with a red card though I also suggest that was because Leno was so close, that's more of the reason than a truly terrible forgotten call. At least for me that's a yellow. Saka was easily the MOTM for me besides just his goal, he was fabulous today. We're going to regret not selling AMN, this bloke comes on and one touch of the ball he falls down and McGroudrick almost scores to tie it. He's been really poor these last two matches.

I just do not understand Arsenal as a whole, okay we bought Luiz yet the entire system has be surrounded around him? I don't get it, just cut the eight million pounds as lost and try to build the tactics you truly want Arteta. This stuff is nonsense that we're forcing players out of position just for the sake of David effin' Luiz.

I think you're getting confused mate. Nobody is saying here that Ceballos is the answer at all, because he isn't....I mean hell he's a loan player as of now. However, he's a damn good player in his own right that is what Jack Wilshere should've became if it wasn't for injuries. A deep-lying playmaker which possesses fantastic dribbling skills and vision to create some good chances from the middle of the park. I think we all agree that Arsenal needs is a CAM that is more advanced positionally and Dani isn't that.

Absolutely brilliant from him, very few players can change that direction and score with such accuracy as he did there. Just needs to be a bit more consistent in form.

Lol, good shout here.

That was terrible decision, but Anthony Taylor is always going to Anthony Taylor. It wouldn't have changed the game though, Spurs was playing you lot off the pitch even if United had twelve men out there. That was pathetic from Lamela, but on part for Argentina players though. I would've given them both reds or at least yellows. What's more idiotic is how your player steps on Kane's Achilles with his studs and doesn't even get card, let alone a straight red which it was.

He's a disaster as a commentator.

Mate, I don't blame you. I've watched some really bad Arsenal sides, especially the ones which got battered by Bayern in the CL home and away. I watched that 7-1 lost against Man United live on the telly. I've watched Soton get shellacked by Leicester and Bulgarian clubs show up against 2009 Barcelona at Camp Nou. That today had to be one of the worst half performances I've ever seen any football team ever play in my entire life. It wasn't just the manager, the players themselves looked defeated and uncontrollable emotionally.

Aurier had more space to run on his side than I've ever seen someone have. Hell, even Bebe would've had enough time to put in a properly positioned cross into the box he was so open. Sure, Spurs played great, but how United played including absolutely zero tactics - it seemed like - a Sunday team honestly could've won against them today. Nobody was picking up runs, nobody was looking around, every single player was ball-watching constantly, and it was like you lot were afraid to handle the ball.

He's a fantastic player but I rather not have a diver on this club. I had enough when Alexis was here.

Nah mate, wrong question here. Liverpool's defence and form was always performing at almost demi-god level, them losing tonight is going to be one of many as the defence heads back down to Earth as Sputnik did in the 1960s.

I wouldn't worry if I was a Reds fan, I would rather take a CL win and a EPL title along with a 2-7 washing-machine loss than whatever we're doing... I just don't think it's fair to put the entire loss on Adrian as Pool fans have been doing the past two seasons like against Atletico. Klopp's system also has a time limit on it as well when teams start adjusting to the high-press. He got fired from BVB for a reason if it looks bad in hindsight.

Did you actually compare Wilshere to Ceballos? Wilshere was miles ahead at litteraly everything and a world class midfielder when fit. Even Jack Wilshere in 17-18 was much better than Ceballos defensively and on the ball. A fit Wilshere was not far off the likes of Fabregas and Cazorla.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Did you actually compare Wilshere to Ceballos? Wilshere was miles ahead at litteraly everything and a world class midfielder when fit. Even Jack Wilshere in 17-18 was much better than Ceballos defensively and on the ball. A fit Wilshere was not far off the likes of Fabregas and Cazorla.
Ceballos and Wilshere is a much better comparison than Wilshere to Fabregas and Cazorla....That is a brutal take.

Healthy Wilshere had great games but it was no where near consistent enough .

Reactions: Gecklund

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just checked, Spurs also played 4 pre-season games, the first one about a week after United were finished in the Europa League. Slightly different preparations. Still doesn't explain why so many players look like they completely forgot how to play football.

Get over it. United could've easily scheduled some friendlies themselves but chose not to. Their form is all their own fault and nobody else's.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Get over it. United could've easily scheduled some friendlies themselves but chose not to. Their form is all their own fault and nobody else's.

When were they going to schedule friendlies?

There was less than a month between their loss to Sevilla and opening the season against Villa (which was match week 2)

I don’t think the lack of friendlies is a good excuse for the third league game (plus two cup games), but “they should have just scheduled them” is the dumbest possible response to the lack of friendlies.

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Ceballos and Wilshere is a much better comparison than Wilshere to Fabregas and Cazorla....That is a brutal take.

Tough to be consistent when he was always injured.

Ceballos is good but Arsenal need someone to spray throughballs since Ozil won't be playing.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

A prime healthy Wilshere had the technique of a David Silva and the defensive ability of an old school brittish powerhouse. Ceballos is not a top 10 team level player, just too stupid defensively, weak physically and indecisive on the ball.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Well I would hope so. Hell, that's not even a long time ago for a scoreline like that.

Anyway, I didn't see the match I'm still going to put it out there that I predict Liverpool win the league again. I just find today's scoreline shocking all things considered. Probably fluky to some degree or some context there.

Today's result brings back to me poignant memories of 96-97, when Manchester United conceded 11 goals in two games, but still went on to win the league.

That season set a record that still stands - lowest points for a title-winning campaign. Based on results to date, I wonder whether this season a points haul in the low 80s will be enough to win the league.

Reactions: YNWA14

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Weekends like today is why the EPL is so popular, other leagues need to learn if they want to get on EPL in terms of pure entertainment.

Also for how gigantic football is in Great Britain and how much Sky Sports paid for the telly rights, they have some of the worst commentators I've ever listened to. I already told you lot what I think about Keane and Scouserman, but you can add another bloke to that list with Alan Smith. The entire freakin' match it sounded like he was hoping the Blades would win. It wasn't like an undertone speech and words, he kept whining about how much Sheffield deserved to be up in this game. Get lost you biased arse-up. Then you had Evra on which provided absolutely zero insight in the 30 seconds of half-time report surrounded by 15 minutes of commercials. Like wtf? Bill Leslie on the other hand though is brilliant.

Alan Smith to my mind always sounds miserable. Funnily enough, in the Vieira-Bergkamp-Henry days I thought he struggled to persuade that he didn't retain affection for Arsenal from his playing days.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

They returned to training a week before the friendly. They REALLY needed the break, the players were completely spent at the end of the EL games. Also, you do understand that it's not easy to arrange friendlies in the Corona era? City had none.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
When were they going to schedule friendlies?

There was less than a month between their loss to Sevilla and opening the season against Villa (which was match week 2)

I don’t think the lack of friendlies is a good excuse for the third league game (plus two cup games), but “they should have just scheduled them” is the dumbest possible response to the lack of friendlies.

That game was played during week one. United opened the season vs Crystal Palace.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Just now seen the highlights.

First goal: Liverpool can’t play out with Adrian like they can with Alisson, especially if this is gonna be for 4-6 weeks. I suspect they know this since they found a way to make it work last year.

Second goal: that’s at least the third time Liverpool have conceded that goal this season - guy cuts in from the left side and sticks it top right corner. The book on Liverpool is clearly to go after TAA and Gomez.

Fourth goal: I guess the entire line goes to sleep because they think they’ve caught Villa offside?

Seventh goal: Trent is lost.

Not commenting on the deflections. With those in mind, you obviously can’t put seven goals on Adrian but you can put the first on him. It’s a bad mistake and it’s early. I feel like the team reacts poorly to it and are much more demoralized than they are if Alisson costs them a goal. It’s in Adrian’s head and in the team’s and I don’t know how you fix that.

Apparently that was Liverpool’s worst top flight loss since 1963? Hopefully that was them getting a half season’s worth of bad deflections out of their system and they’re in Run Through Walls mode against Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad