GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 32 & 33 - not the Ndombele thread

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
VAR has really been a disaster in the PL, just so terribly run and handled.
It's hard to see exactly why this is the case too. Bundesliga has it and it isn't a huge distraction, the calls are almost always correct, and the games go right back along. Never seen it be a huge deal in MLS either. It doesm't seem like the type of thing that has a lot of variables in implementation, just terrible execution I guess?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wouldn’t hate it those started being given as reds. But that just not remotely how the English game calls it.
If he breaks Rashford's ankle, people (not saying you) would sing a different tune.
And frankly, Rashford was lucky to get out uninjured.
This is the definition of dangerous tackle.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
To be fair, he slipped into the tackle, it wasn't intentionally dangerous. Maybe that was the thinking, because it was nasty.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
That was a awful header, had all the time in the world too smh

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If he breaks Rashford's ankle, people (not saying you) would sing a different tune.
And frankly, Rashford was lucky to get out uninjured.
This is the definition of dangerous tackle.

I don't remotely disagree. But generally the English game lets defenders go pretty crazy in the name of defending the goal and only steps in if there's an actual injury.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
McTominay was motm in the reverse fixture and today he is comfortably the worst player on the pitch. Bielsa has made good adjustments.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I get what you say, but I think the accepted rule is also that if your hand makes your body bigger, then it's handball. And there's no doubt that it made Shaw's body bigger since it prevented the ball from going to the Leeds player.
As for being harsh, we've seen tons of much weaker calls ending up in penalties this year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I get what you say, but I think the accepted rule is also that if your hand makes your body bigger, then it's handball. And there's no doubt that it made Shaw's body bigger since it prevented the ball from going to the Leeds player.
As for being harsh, we've seen tons of much weaker calls ending up in penalties this year.

Just because that has happened, doesn't mean it should again.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just because that has happened, doesn't mean it should again.
Yeah, especially when it's against United, rather than in favor, right :D
I can garantee that if it was a Leeds player, it'd be penalty. Big teams bias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad