GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 23

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes but Virgil is a lot better than Laporte, and City can just throw another 40-50m CB in. Liverpool can’t.
They threw a lot of money at it in the past and it wasn’t good enough. Last year they had one central defender worth much and he went down. It’s hard to come back from. This summer, since FFP doesn’t matter, they addressed that need

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
No. This is not evidence. This (first one) is an opinion piece. The three peat season is always the hardest. That’s why it is so rare. I think it’s more likely playing near perfect soccer for 2.5 years has caught up and they haven’t managed well.

As I said at the start of the season. The team that handles the condensed schedule/Covid the best will win the league. Liverpool have done it the worst. That’s why it was a miracle they were at the top for awhile but never thought it was sustainable

I never said I believe what they are saying, but it is an interesting theory that might have some weight to it. Rare to see a team decline physically to such a large extent in such a short period of time.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Paraphrasing, but Pep said that Foden "is young and doesn't know what he is doing sometimes", "is often out of position", "was lost a lot in the first half", "I moved him out wide in the 2nd half and he doesn't know how to play wide", etc.
I remember a game against Dortmund in Pep's final year. It was a 0-0 draw which Dortmund needed to win, and once the full time whistle sounded he just lit in Kimmich on the field. He is always coaching, what makes him great though.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Did Dias try to play the ball while giving away a penalty? If not haven't we just discovered that that's a red card offence? Obviously should not be a red or even a pen but the ”laws” are dumb.
Does the Prem not have double jeopardy?

That only applies in DOGSO situations and just being in the box doesn't automatically qualify as a DOGSO situation. It was, at best, a 50/50 ball between Salah and the other City defender

Reactions: Machinehead

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I remember a game against Dortmund in Pep's final year. It was a 0-0 draw which Dortmund needed to win, and once the full time whistle sounded he just lit in Kimmich on the field. He is always coaching, what makes him great though.
Calling someone out in the media who you played out of position against Liverpool and actually performed very well considering is not "coaching". When Mou has done nonsense like this, people rightfully torch him for it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I never said I believe what they are saying, but it is an interesting theory that might have some weight to it. Rare to see a team decline physically to such a large extent in such a short period of time.
I mean City lost 9 games themselves last season.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Calling someone out in the media who you played out of position against Liverpool and actually performed very well considering is not "coaching". When Mou has done nonsense like this, people rightfully torch him for it.
Jose comes off as a bitter old man though, so everyone's perception makes him get criticism. Pep is just a weird guy in some of his interviews. "This is the happiest day of my life". I dont think he should be doing this either, but there could be things going on behind the scenes that he wants to get his attention.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What a game by City!! Total domination! This year is City's year!!
Definitely is City’s year. Good for them.

I think total domination is not accurate this game was very even until Alisson gave it away. Twice. 1-1 certainly would have been a fair result.

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
Definitely is City’s year. Good for them.

I think total domination is not accurate this game was very even until Alisson gave it away. Twice. 1-1 certainly would have been a fair result.

Would have been 2-1 if Gundo didn't mess up the PK

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This brings up the thing I keep wondering about: even when things are right, how is Thiago supposed to work here?
I still think they have bigger problems than Thiago honestly. I think next season when Wijnaldum is gone we might have a better idea, but there are a lot of very similar players in that midfield right now. Once they took Jones off it showed because no one was stretching the field anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still think they have bigger problems than Thiago honestly. I think next season when Wijnaldum is gone we might have a better idea, but there are a lot of very similar players in that midfield right now. Once they took Jones off it showed because no one was stretching the field anymore.
When everyone is healthy it will be interesting to see what the plan is for him. He feels very much like a square peg in a round hole this year and the whole thing about "he wants to play long balls higher up the pitch than we usually do" isn't going to change.

He did look great against Chelsea which was the one time we saw him in a healthy side.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
When everyone is healthy it will be interesting to see what the plan is for him. He feels very much like a square peg in a round hole this year and the whole thing about "he wants to play long balls higher up the pitch than we usually do" isn't going to change.

He did look great against Chelsea which was the one time we saw him in a healthy side.
I think when the fullbacks can get up higher more often that’s when we can take advantage of that.

Reactions: Machinehead

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Great start Chelsea. :facepalm:

Can't believe how trashed the field is in the corners, this is a PL quality field?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad