GWT: PL Matchweek 33 & 34

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Good win. Needed a clear win after dropping that last one to West Ham.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Brilliant player, but he needs to catch up physically still.

No, he's a very passive player. He's been better this year than last for sure, but I have never thought that he has played the aggressive pressing and quick vertical progression game that Lampard wants to see.
That’s kinda my point. I don’t know that he looks to carve up other teams as much as he’d be expected to do so. I think he rather go side to side at times than vertical. Barkley for all his faults is looking to go at teams.

I’m not saying he can’t, but he’s looked a touch slow at times in the EPL and that’s not uncommon from Italy, where you get longer on the ball.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Your goalkeeper of the future being 27 years old (28 early next season) isn't great....
I did mention this like four seasons ago, he just never really got playing time because he was behind Cech (legend) and Leno (Mislintat German love)...not exactly bad quality if I were to say. I am not saying he's good enough for Arsenal either, but he would absolutely be starting for any of the bottom 5-7 EPL clubs easily beside Fabianski.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That’s kinda my point. I don’t know that he looks to carve up other teams as much as he’d be expected to do so. I think he rather go side to side at times than vertical. Barkley for all his faults is looking to go at teams.

I’m not saying he can’t, but he’s looked a touch slow at times in the EPL and that’s not uncommon from Italy, where you get longer on the ball.
No you're right for sure, Jorginho prefers back and side passes, he's a pure possession player that will look to make safe passes to ensure they keep the ball and can slowly build up. Kovacic has essentially replaced him as he is one of the best players in the league this season at vertical progression with passing and running. Kovacic is constantly looking for opportunities to exploit space and quickly move the ball up the pitch, Jorginho just doesn't bring that.

Where having Jorginho is usually better is when we have a lead and want to lock it down, because he will just play keep away in the middle of the pitch and burn time off the clock.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's happening over the course of 4 months and we clinched the league while it was going on but we're very quietly having the Klopp January.

It's fine because we won like every other game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's happening over the course of 4 months and we clinched the league while it was going on but we're very quietly having the Klopp January.

It's fine because we won like every other game.
Not going that far unless they drop points home against Villa tomorrow.

They have had two really tough away games. They are not United right now who are feasting on bad teams; which is fine for them, thats how Ferguson won titles for them.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not going that far unless they drop points home against Villa tomorrow.

They have had two really tough away games. They are not United right now who are feasting on bad teams.
Could be wrong but if you wanna go back before the covid, I believe we're 3-1-4 in our last 8 in all comps.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Could be wrong but if you wanna go back before the covid, I believe we're 3-1-4 in our last 8 in all comps.
I’m not going back before covid. Completely different circumstances. If you want to go back further, you still have a team winning all their home games while entering the hard part of their schedule, and got Adrian’ed twice in knock out competitions over that time. LFC clinched the league with 7 games remaining. People are just tying to find things to complain about.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m not going back before covid. Completely different circumstances. If you want to go back further, you still have a team winning all their home games while entering the hard part of their schedule, and got Adrian’ed twice in knock out competitions over that time. LFC clinched the league with 7 games remaining. People are just tying to find things to complain about.
Not complaining. Just pointing it out and I'd like to finish strong.

They talked about it on NBC. The edge just isn't there since they lost the unbeaten record, which is understandable. That matches the timeline and applies to both sides of the break.

That's completely different from the Champions League where we got boned.

Klopp was in a bad mood the other day. I think he's going to re-edge things.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not complaining. Just pointing it out and I'd like to finish strong.

They talked about it on NBC. The edge just isn't there since they lost the unbeaten record, which is understandable. That matches the timeline and applies to both sides of the break.

That's completely different from the Champions League where we got boned.

Klopp was in a bad mood the other day. I think he's going to re-edge things.
I don’t buy that. NBC has been terrible recently too. Liverpool also smashed Crystal Palace a week ago, in what was probably their best or second best performance of the season. I don’t think they lost edge. Maybe they lost some urgency? But to me there is no reason to ring an alarm yet. If they are losing and don’t want to go themselves out, it does not bother me at all. Would prefer everyone staying healthy

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s actually pretty funny. At the start of the season I made the point that LFC would need to clinch the title early to win, because City had an easier run in, and I was tarred and feathered for it. Look where we are now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t buy that. NBC has been terrible recently too. Liverpool also smashed Crystal Palace a week ago, in what was probably their best or second best performance of the season. I don’t think they lost edge. Maybe they lost some urgency? But to me there is no reason to ring an alarm yet. If they are losing and don’t want to go themselves out, it does not bother me at all. Would prefer everyone staying healthy
Staying healthy is the primary concern, of course.

Not gonna lie, though, I do want that points record. They deserve it.

I've never experienced this before (most of us haven't) and it's unique compared to American sports. You partly feel like it's "mission accomplished" but until the schedule is complete, the instincts still kick in. It's this weird half-chub.

I don't know about them but I wasn't ready for Thursday. I'm feeling more back to business this weekend.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There’s nothing to play for. They’re out of the FA cup and CL. They won the league easily. If you’re a Liverpool fan - who cares now. There is nothing for play for.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There’s nothing to play for. They’re out of the FA cup and CL. They won the league easily. If you’re a Liverpool fan - who cares now. There is nothing for play for.

Yep. Don't know why anyone cares at all.

Waited years for this and I'm going to be worried about a game against Aston f***ing Villa when the league is already won? Surely taking the piss. I don't care if they lose by a lot, it doesn't matter.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yep. Don't know why anyone cares at all.

Waited years for this and I'm going to be worried about a game against Aston f***ing Villa when the league is already won? Surely taking the piss. I don't care if they lose by a lot, it doesn't matter.
Yeah I can't fathom why anyone would care about the team they follow winning or not?

I dunno, I can't speak for others but I love Liverpool and I care about every game they play. I always want them to win and it always sucks when they lose. There are levels to that obviously and scope is important, I'm not going to cry about their entire season if they lose to Aston Villa, but I'll still be disappointed and I'd still care just like it sucked in a big way to lose 4 - 0 to City regardless of the circumstances.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Burnley leading 1-0 over Sheff Utd at half-time. If this stands, it would practically kill their small remaining CL hopes, and Burnley would actually overtake them in the table.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
David Moyes brilliant plan after scoring? Give Newcastle 80% of the ball and see what happens. And wouldn't ya know it, they scored.

Look halfway competent with the ball, but Moyes is so damn negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad