GWT: PL Matchweek 3

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Have to agree with the Spurs supporters. Mourinho should be sacked tomorrow morning if United wants to save their season and not finish 9th.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mourinho is not the biggest problem in that organization, none of the available names will perform significantly better if at all. If they maintain a losing mentality come Christmas then fire him, but at the moment it does no good.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mourinho is not the biggest problem in that organization, none of the available names will perform significantly better if at all. If they maintain a losing mentality come Christmas then fire him, but at the moment it does no good.

He’s one of them though. There’s a multitude of issues and he definitely exacerbates some of those issues.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well, Big Sam is free, maybe he'll work better with Woodward. Realistically it'd be someone like Conte, but I don't really see him even as a lateral move.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They'd burn Old Trafford to the ground if they hired Allardyce. I don't know who makes the transfer decisions at United, but whoever it is that's who 80% of the blame rests with. You can't make that many bad bets in the transfer market over 4-5 years and come out smelling like roses.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mourinho looks like a defeated man, but the scoreline didn't really tell the game by any means. Man United were the better team throughout the match, but Spurs were simply more clinical and scored on every mistake United made.

Shaw looked fantastic today, even though he's a Chevrolet shirt it's nice to see a guy bounce back through his injury list. Phil Jones on the other hand is complete rubbish, he's at Arsenal's level for a CB.

Lucas man, holy cow has he been a revelation for Spurs or what? Getting him in this form is like Spurs actually bought a player from the window because he has been that good for the season. Harry Kane is the Xhaka of strikers, almost a yellowcard every game.

Also, Mkhi > Alexis.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What is going on in that box? :p
That "pile everyone on the goal" strategy by Mourinho was simply hilarious because it was so bad.

Alli probably acts and dresses like a thug off the pitch. Great talent, but the dude needs a chill pill.

Fred is looking like United's version of Xhaka for me. Good technical flashes in there surrounded by a bunch of brainlessness in the rest of his game.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Manchester United have definitely not made good use of the money they have spent, and it shows on the pitch.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, I know Woodward isn’t good, but most of the crap they’ve got is what Jose wanted. He picked the players to an extent.

Jose is trying to get fired.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What I don't personally get about their spending is how they've spent so much with so few World Class players to show for it. It honestly resembles an Arsenal side/spending policy of the past decade, just a bunch of good but not world class players outside of a few (Pogba sometimes/De Gea/maybe Lukaku). A club of that revenue should have no problem filling out their side with better players than that...

The Lindelof and Fred types should be the types of depth players that come through your academy, the rest you buy.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean, I know Woodward isn’t good, but most of the crap they’ve got is what Jose wanted. He picked the players to an extent.

Jose is trying to get fired.

No way he's ego would admit defeat like that... he's clearly angry at today's presser. Guy has been exposed that's it thats all.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What I don't personally get about their spending is how they've spent so much with so few World Class players to show for it. It honestly resembles an Arsenal side/spending policy of the past decade, just a bunch of good but not world class players outside of a few (Pogba sometimes/De Gea/maybe Lukaku). A club of that revenue should have no problem filling out their side with better players than that...

The Lindelof and Fred types should be the types of depth players that come through your academy, the rest you buy.
Lets not forget Lindelof is one of the ten most expensive center backs of all time. That doesnt scream "depth player" The problem is Woodward and Mourinho are not in sync. Why would Woodward and friends back Jose if he is going to fire him anyway; and saddle the next guy with players he may not want. Man U has spent for Jose, and it's more than partially on Mourinho if he cant make it work with those players.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Amazing. Mourinho has hypnotized how many people in this thread the way Trump has hypnotized a large swath of the country.

You can't lay it all on his lap and a case can be made he's not been entirely supported in the transfer market, but at the end of the day there are multiple managers that would be getting more out of that side than he is.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Gone from crazy genius to just crazy.

You would think people get better at these kind of jobs with age. Dealing with egos etc. tend to get easier when you got experience from dealing with similar players before. Tactics evolve of course, but as Heynckes and others have shown older managers can be able to adjust and be tactically competitive.

Mourinho has clearly lost it. Not sure why.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Mourinho would be better suited at a smaller club with high ambitions than a top club in my opinion. His structured, negative football will benefit them more with less blowback than he gets at a top club.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Mourinho would be better suited at a smaller club with high ambitions than a top club in my opinion. His structured, negative football will benefit them more with less blowback than he gets at a top club.

He's got too much past success/too much ego to do that though. He'll either go to another top club or retire.

Reactions: Blender

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Can Mourinho really blame spending when he suffered his largest home defeat in his entire career (apparently) to the team that didn't have a single incoming transfer this summer?
& the squad spurs trotted out there yesterday cost $3 million euros less than Pogba, total

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Mourinho leaving yesterday's presser with the tried and true "look away from this flaming wreck and instead look at my illustrious past."

Mourinho implosion in year three has to be somewhere in the farmer's almanac.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There's still too much dead weight at United for them to compete for the league title even if Mourinho were sacked today.

Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Juan Mata, and Fellaini are all Championship quality players at this point of their careers.

The rest fall into the following categories:

Barely PL quality: Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, and Lindelof, though the latter is young, Bailly has not been in good form since his last injury, either. For the midfield. I'd put Pereira and McTominay here too. They're not good enough for a side like United yet.

PL quality: Shaw, Valencia, Herrera, Matic, Fred, Martial, Sanchez

Above average PL quality: Rashford, Lukaku

World Class: Pogba, De Gea

A lot of middle of the road players with few world class players. It's going to be a long road unless United spend smarter and better under a new manager along with (hopefully) a new footballing director.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad