GWT: PL Matchweek 27

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So the ball hitting your arms in the air on a free kick isn't a penalty? Or is shielding your face considered a natural position?

Shielding your face when it's that close is considered natural.

If De Bruyne's arms were further out from his body I'm assuming it would have been given, but they were pretty close.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
no way in a million years is that a red or a penalty. Ederson is going for the ball he didnt initiate contact. Just a collision
Hilarious. He doesn't even get close to the ball and just takes out Iheanacho. If a player took him out like that it's a penalty 100% of the time, goalies shouldn't get special treatment to just clean out attacking players with impunity.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hilarious. He doesn't even get close to the ball and just takes out Iheanacho. If a player took him out like that it's a penalty 100% of the time, goalies shouldn't get special treatment to just clean out attacking players with impunity.
They do though just like defenders with the ball do when attackers go for a challenge.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Meaning he didnt go for his head but for the ball

I agree that intention plays a role, but you don´t have to go Roy Keane "I want to purposely break your leg" for something not being allowed in football.

Clearly reckless. How that is not a penalty I will never know. And with the way the game is refereed these days I also believe it is a red. Again - reckless is enough to get you a red.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Drogba got a punch to the face on a similar play... nothing was called but offside. Keeper usually gets the call here

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So because something happened that was probably called the wrong way 10 years ago this isn´t a penalty? I´m struggling to follow the logic here.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So because something happened that was probably called the wrong way 10 years ago this isn´t a penalty? I´m struggling to follow the logic here.
It happened before not called it happened again not called hmmm maybe because thats the rule lol

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think the "rule" is "something happens when a goalkeeper is involved and refs are confused".

A defender coming in that late and there is no question - penalty - and maybe a red.

I just love VAR more and more. I´m honestly starting to wonder if it makes the reffing overall worse. Refs now know that some decisions are taken away from them so they are not even bothering to make the tough call on the pitch - just wait and see - VAR will get the blame anyway. Why not? The ref on the pitch has every incentive to behave that way.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Also in regards to the De Bruyne claim, under the new rule it actually should be a pen (I forgot about the new rule).

The new rule states:

It is usually an offence if a player:
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The explanation they gave:
• having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding

If his arm was directly between the ball and his face I think the "usually" is overridden there since it doesn't make his body bigger, but when he turns from the side it turns into a pen. His arms are above his shoulder and they're not protecting his face any more since he's pulling his face out of the way.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It happened before not called it happened again not called hmmm maybe because thats the rule lol
So if you can find any single example of something called a certain way in the past, that justifies how it's called in the current game? Incredible take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad