GWT: PL Matchweek 24

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Aside from beating up on City, they've won 1 PL game against a team above 16th place and that was against (currently) 9th place Southampton.
They have a lot of draws and they started out very slow, and were effected by Europa League schedule. I am calling it like I see it. Eye test tells me they are no worse than 3rd best, but they do have a double on City.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They’re just the only team with a player powerful enough to counter Liverpool’s tackling ability.

The guy was riding through hard challenges like they were nothing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Traore is an absolute unit. He also has shown enough skill that makes me think he could be successful on a team that dominates possession and not just a counterattacking side.

Wolves are definitely good...I wouldn’t put them above Leicester and City but I could see them fighting for 4th.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Traore is an absolute unit. He also has shown enough skill that makes me think he could be successful on a team that dominates possession and not just a counterattacking side.

Wolves are definitely good...I wouldn’t put them above Leicester and City but I could see them fighting for 4th.
Them and City in the same bracket. Chelsea and Leicester in the same bracket right below. Sheffield wasn’t fun either. Two worst teams I saw this season were Arsenal and Everton. Can probably put United and Bournemouth in that group too.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Another great thing about this run is that Liverpool haven't been playing at 4:30 AM as they're always in the featured slot. It's the little things that matter, at least for the foreign fan who has a difficult time waking up at 4:25 AM when their mom had cancer. Fortunately it is now had cancer. Makes all of this much easier to enjoy.

This is a dream season, the perfect way for this long running nightmare to end. It definitely won't ever be replicated. We can't make proclamations on exactly how great a team this was until the end of the season, but this is one of the great teams. This is the second season of such form, and while luck can matter sometimes in determining a result here and there, the consistency of the team to always be in position to get a result is staggering. That they didn't lose this game as fatigued as they looked at the end of the United match, and in the face of a major player getting injured, that says it all.

Last time I sat down to watch a league game at Anfield and we lost was April 2017. The squad for that game was almost entirely different than it is now. Thank you Coutinho.

Haven't watched them lose a CL home game since they got back in it. Only lost the final in 2018.

Haven't lost a two legged CL tie in two and a half seasons.

The only game the first team lost this season came from a shambolic penalty award and a bad VVD backpass. The loss was harsh, but it was a loss.

The best thing is that in terms of the squad and their ages this doesn't look very near to ending anytime soon. Inevitably they will lose something this season, maybe it's just a game, maybe they drop out of the cup, maybe they lose to Atletico. At some point, surely this team must lose again? Their standard is so high though. It's not perfection but it's pretty goddamn close. We're almost there and it isn't going to take 27 more points. This will be done when they play Crystal Palace in March, might be able to win it against Everton. Can only imagine the scenes if the latter happened.

Reactions: YNWA14 and Chimaera

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The worst team for me versus Liverpool is Bournemouth
We ragdolled that team. It was almost hard to watch. And their record around those games hasn't been much better. We broke Leicester in half but they've proven their quality in other games. Bournemouth look like the worst team in the league right now.

United last week was by far the most relaxed I've ever been in a 1-goal game. Today gave me blood pressure.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
5 more wins and they will break City's record 18 straight league wins. Should do it too as none of them are trick tricky.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just finished watching the game.

Wolves are a good team but I don't see how Liverpool were lucky to win.

I feel like the expectation with LFC are to ragdoll all teams but other teams are very good too.

IMO the problem with LFC in that game was the change of formation. They looked confused and not able to get sinc together.

Minamino showed good hustle but he is definately not there yet.

Traoré surprised me today. Not because of his play but his cardio and intensity for 90 minutes. Usually muscular guys are gased out faster. I think Salah was very good, selfish but by reading the comment I thought it was an awful game from him. Not really.

Overall good performance.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
5 more wins and they will break City's record 18 straight league wins. Should do it too as none of them are trick tricky.
When United stopped us at 17, I never dreamed we'd get another crack at it.

This team is from another planet.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh the match was definitely as bad as the commentary in this thread. United were reduced to taking around 12-15 shots from outside the box. Four or five more from the very top of the box with no hope of scoring. It was pitiful. It was far worse than the Watford match for example, around the level of their pitiful display against Arsenal.

Maguire played center forward for more or less 25 minutes when Solskjaer had two substitutions remaining. He decided to use them elsewhere. I think that's all that needs to be said, but I will continue.

Then, after the match, Ole brings up that they've started a clearout at the club. In that light it is hard to accept excuses about the players he no longer has at his disposal. It is clear to me they didn't pay Herrera because they just spent a wedge on Fred for that role, and they couldn't get rid of Matic either. Nor did it seem like they wanted to get rid of Matic and in fact they're talking about giving him a new contract the same way they did Jones and Bailly and Young.

What's crazy is that they were actually worse with Pogba. They only won two games when he played. Couldn't believe it when I saw that. They played him 90 minutes in the league cup and drew Rochdale at Old Trafford. Went through on penalties. Didn't count that one as a win. Rashford, de Gea (sometimes), and Pogba are the only real quality in the team, but they wanted it that way.

I wasn’t referring to the match. I was referring to the team in general.

As for the players who aren’t there and why, you’re speculating and drawing some really thin lines. Rather ridiculous to link Herrera’s departure with a clear out comment months later.

Not much of a sample size you’re using with regards to Pogba and pretty clearly ignoring last season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wasn’t referring to the match. I was referring to the team in general.

As for the players who aren’t there and why, you’re speculating and drawing some really thin lines. Rather ridiculous to link Herrera’s departure with a clear out comment months later.

Not much of a sample size you’re using with regards to Pogba and pretty clearly ignoring last season.

I'm not sure how I'm ignoring last season when they won 2 of their last 12 games in all competitions last season?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah it is feeling that way. I think City away will be a massive test still.
It might not matter by then. Don’t care about being undefeated at all, but am enjoying the precession to the PL title

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What I’m saying is more that Ole genuinely has no clue how to use him. Or for that matter pretty much anyone currently at the club except Rashford.

I think Rashfords growth might also be despite Ole’s management. The biggest difference in his game this year has been consistency instead of showing his talent in 5-10 game spurts like years before. Like if he could manage Rashford successfully you’d think he could get Martial to take that next step as well. But I could wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad