Wednesday 22 January
Leicester X West Ham
Tottenham X Norwich
Man Utd X Burnley

Thursday 23 January
Wolverhampton X Liverpool

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Could see this game being tough for Liverpool.
I agree, Wolverhampton are always threatening against LFC... that being said I also thought Sheffield United would be one of the tougher mathcup and they (LFC) completely dominated that game.

From what I've seen of Wolverhampton they love their long balls and they really rely on Adama Traoré creating space.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I believe our first loss will be against City. If Liverpool advances through this round of the CL, they play City right before a CL tie. That's the time to rotate players as the situation is very much in Liverpool's favor at that point and they don't need to get a result.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Liverpool losing is probably more meaningful to me than Arsenal winning at this point.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I believe our first loss will be against City. If Liverpool advances through this round of the CL, they play City right before a CL tie. That's the time to rotate players as the situation is very much in Liverpool's favor at that point and they don't need to get a result.
Going invincible should be prioritized ahead of winning the League and CL double anyway, it is a much bigger achievement.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Going invincible should be prioritized ahead of winning the League and CL double anyway, it is a much bigger achievement.

Trying harder to win a trophy already won, causing the team to lose another one they can win, is completely illogical on all levels.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It's really not.

More rare does not mean more significant.

In my eyes, it kind of does, also considering the consistency needed to go invincible. To Win the UCL, being at the top of your game a few times is enough. For a club like Liverpool in particular, who has had a lot of recent CL sucess overshadowed by League faliure, winning the Prem invincible would be a massive statement.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Trying harder to win a trophy already won, causing the team to lose another one they can win, is completely illogical on all levels.
Depends on the trophies you consider to be the most important. A gold Premier League trophy would be a lot more significant for you than a double, considering all the CLs you already have, and considering that would be the ultimate punch to the face to all gooners.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
In my eyes, it kind of does, also considering the consistency needed to go invincible. To Win the UCL, being at the top of your game a few times is enough. For a club like Liverpool in particular, who has had a lot of recent CL sucess overshadowed by League faliure, winning the Prem invincible would be a massive statement.

Need to be at the top of your game at least 7 times against teams who are almost always better than the ones in this league.

Also, last season...nobody gave much of a damn about not winning the league.

Depends on the trophies you consider to be the most important. A gold Premier League trophy would be a lot more significant for you than a double, considering all the CLs you already have, and considering that would be the ultimate punch to the face to all gooners.

Arsenal aren't our main rivals...so no. What's really important to me now that this is won is getting to play Madrid again and running their fascist faces into the ground. Or to play Barcelona again and prove there was no fluke. To send Ronaldo off without this trophy again as he nears the end of his career. Etc.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

They should clearly focus on winning the prem above the CL....but the good part for them is that they've destroyed the league so hard thus far that's all but guaranteed at this point.

The debate isn't PL vs CL, it's PL + CL vs. unbeaten PL and no CL. The former is clearly more valuable to chase than the latter.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They should clearly focus on winning the prem above the CL....but the good part for them is that they've destroyed the league so hard thus far that's all but guaranteed at this point.

The debate isn't PL vs CL, it's PL + CL vs. unbeaten PL and no CL. The former is clearly more valuable to chase than the latter.

I do not think bragging about 7 CLs and a League would mean more to the fans than talking about their unique, almost unprecentented acheivment.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Need to be at the top of your game at least 7 times against teams who are almost always better than the ones in this league.

Also, last season...nobody gave much of a damn about not winning the league.

Arsenal aren't our main rivals...so no. What's really important to me now that this is won is getting to play Madrid again and running their fascist faces into the ground. Or to play Barcelona again and prove there was no fluke. To send Ronaldo off without this trophy again as he nears the end of his career. Etc.

You are a Liverpool fan so you have more of a saying in what you prefer, but I thought you hated Arsenal enough to want to massively reduce the value of our best ever acheivment. Barcelona and Madrid are usually not really relevant to a Liverpool fan. I think the absolute rarity of going invincible would make it a lot more admirable and memorable for you guys.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I do not think bragging about 7 CLs and a League would mean more to the fans than talking about their unique, almost unprecentented acheivment.

This season is already unprecedented. It's quite literally the best start to a season in top flight football history.

TBH the invincible this isn't really something fans outside of Arsenal care about. It's a nice little trivia bit, and was impressive to do, but no one outside of Arsenal fans looks back at that team as in contention for best PL team ever. Liverpool going something crazy like 35-2-1 would basically given them that spot without argument, regardless of that 1 L.

I have never once looked back at SAF's teams and thought "oh man, if only they had gone unbeaten one year"

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd take a league win with ~105 pts(like 2 losses) and a treble over an invincible win with ~110pts or whatever it would be.

Yep, it's not just the CL in play here. And we won the other trophies earlier in the season. We went a long time without seeing the team win anything. The priority now is to win as many trophies as possible before these players get old and a squad overhaul is needed.

The way they started the season from a historical perspective is enough for me and means just as much as being invincible. No team in history, not even invincible teams, ever won this many games to start their season. Bringing last season into play, they've taken 91 points from 93. That is now the standard.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You are a Liverpool fan so you have more of a saying in what you prefer, but I thought you hated Arsenal enough to want to massively reduce the value of our best ever acheivment.

Not really, no.

Barcelona and Madrid are not really relevant to a Liverpool fan.

Oh but they are. Especially after the last two seasons. After how they deliberately injured our player in the final, the latter especially is a team I would like to see this side destroy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yep, it's not just the CL in play here. And we won the other trophies earlier in the season. We went a long time without seeing the team win anything. The priority now is to win as many trophies as possible before these players get old and a squad overhaul is needed.

The way they started the season from a historical perspective is enough for me and means just as much as being invincible. No team in history, not even invincible teams, ever won this many games to start their season. Bringing last season into play, they've taken 91 points from 93. That is now the standard.

Even if somehow you guys lost like 6 games to end the season and went 32-1-6(which won't happen) this stretch of games is infinitely more impressive than Arsenal going invincible.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This season is already unprecedented. It's quite literally the best start to a season in top flight football history.

TBH the invincible this isn't really something fans outside of Arsenal care about. It's a nice little trivia bit, and was impressive to do, but no one outside of Arsenal fans looks back at that team as in contention for best PL team ever. Liverpool going something crazy like 35-2-1 would basically given them that spot without argument, regardless of that 1 L.

I have never once looked back at SAF's teams and thought "oh man, if only they had gone unbeaten one year"

Most people consider the Invincibles the greatest PL team ever, not losing a single game in the toughest era of the leagues history is more impressive than having a few more points. So no, what you are saying is not true. The invincibles were voted the best ever PL team like a year or so back.

It could be argued it was the best team in Football history. I do not genuinely believe you would rather flex ”105 points” or whatever than ” unbeaten”

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Even if somehow you guys lost like 6 games to end the season and went 32-1-6(which won't happen) this stretch of games is infinitely more impressive than Arsenal going invincible.

Oh yeah? More impressive than being the first ever team to go 49 games unbeaten in an era were so many teams were competitive, unlike today. You can’t convince anyone you actually think that, however large your agenda against Arsenal.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Another crazy stat is if they win all their games through the Bournemouth game.

If that happens they would be 37-1-0, taking 111 of 113 points on offer. I am fairly certain no team in history has ever done that or even been that close. It would be great but certainly that isn't Liverpool's priority now, nor should it be.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I'd take a league win with ~105 pts(like 2 losses) and a treble over an invincible win with ~110pts or whatever it would be.

An 'invincible season' includes draws, so it could contain less total points on the season than a season with some losses and more wins.

You are a Liverpool fan so you have more of a saying in what you prefer, but I thought you hated Arsenal enough to want to massively reduce the value of our best ever acheivment. Barcelona and Madrid are usually not really relevant to a Liverpool fan. I think the absolute rarity of going invincible would make it a lot more admirable and memorable for you guys.

Would you trade Arsenal's invincible season for the PL title and CL title that same season?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The invincibles aren't the greatest team of all time. It doesn't even crack the top 5 most points in a PL season by a team. They are a great team and an all time team but they don't compete with this Livepool team or Pep's Barca.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad