GWT: PL Matchweek 19

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He probably said something against Pep so he's in the doghouse.

The same reason Mahrez can't play more than 45 minutes in a game despite often looking like the most dangerous player on the pitch when he plays.
No doubt Mahrez is great, but who do you even bench for him. Lol

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They didn’t lose!!!!

No, they didn’t, but they exited Europe in the QF losing to another English team. They also did draw 12 matches.

food for thought: Arsenal scored as many goals last season as the invincibles

The standard for what it takes to win has increased a lot.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This will be a very deserved title for Liverpool and a long awaited one too, happy for them.

I'm curious what other top teams will try against them on the CL, starting with Atletico. Good news for Pool is that I don't see any team posing a real challenge... Spanish teams look weak, so do German and Italian ones... we will see

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This will be a very deserved title for Liverpool and a long awaited one too, happy for them.

I'm curious what other top teams will try against them on the CL, starting with Atletico. Good news for Pool is that I don't see any team posing a real challenge... Spanish teams look weak, so do German and Italian ones... we will see

We play poorly against Latin American football and that’s how Simeone sets up...truthfully I am not looking forward to that.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It doubly impressive given the amount of money Pep has spent on CBs and FBs since he got to City.

One injury and they're trotting out DMs in a CB role.

It's not like Liverpool thinking about putting Fabinho at CB for a random game because they've got fixture congestion and think he's better than your 5th string CB. This is putting Fernandinho there repeatedly because you think he's better than your 3rd string CB who you just spend like 60 million on a couple years ago.

We all know what's gonna happen though. Pep will spend 50M in the winter on CBs and then another 150 in the summer along with 150 on more attackers.

For starters, attributing every purchase to a club's manager is probably very inaccurate as I've stated multiple times before. As for how much City have spent on CBs since Guardiola took over, it's less than Lindelof and McGuire combined and yet City are a notably better side.

So assuming he thinks Fernandinho is better he should instead play Stones (who again we don't know he asked for and who has demonstrated exactly what in recent memory) instead?

He just said no January signings.

Pep has spent £317 million on his back line since coming to Manchester City, including £108 million on two centrebacks. They also bought Otemendi for £40 million the year before Pep was hired. The quality of defending they have gotten out of that money is shocking.

The quality of defending they've gotten out of Stones is shocking assuming you expected a lot from him. The quality of defending they've gotten out of Laporte is not.

Oh it is a one horse race. Just not his horse.

City fans are having a go at him on Blue Moon. So again, their cup results better be good.

Amazes me when dumb supporters have a go at a player or manager they have no reason to have a go at.

He won last year against the same team... was it a one horse race against the eventually CL winners? Seriously where do you guys come up with this?

The same place they always come up with this stuff? I mean the butthurt set of supporters from one club in particular would be fascinating were it not so hilarious. And they wonder why they have the reputation they do. Then you've got people who say the following:
  • Going back to Barça might not be good for Guardiola's legacy.
  • Odegaard is a 134 million euro player.
  • Valverde is better than De Jong.
Answer your own question and you could be a billionaire.

Remember when Mendy was untouchable as best LB in the world...

No.

IDK man, Liverpool hardly reinforced their squad and they're breaking all these records.

What can be done when Nike pushes them for a Sancho/Mbappe transfer? They have a warchest.

Like I said, really weak league this season. Liverpool are still an excellent side though.

Mbappe? What can be done is you wake up from your dream.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Like I said, really weak league this season. Liverpool are still an excellent side though.
The PL is not a weak league this is. It is strong.

Liverpool are the best of the bunch but when you have Leicester, Sheffield and Wolverhampton contending for European spots, that is indicative of a strong league to me, not a weak one. Teams are spending more on their rosters and have better talent now than ever. Guardiola has raised the level. You can’t win the league with 80-85 points anymore. You need over 90. I’m not having that this is a down year for the PL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Liverpool are the best of the bunch but when you have Leicester, Sheffield and Wolverhampton contending for European spots, that is indicative of a strong league to me, not a weak one. Teams are spending more on their rosters and have better talent now than ever. Guardiola has raised the level. You can’t win the league with 80-85 points anymore. You need over 90. I’m not having that this is a down year for the PL.

Arsenal and United are very weak though. One is struggling just to make the top half. I wouldn't say the league isn't strong though. All four teams that were in the CL advanced to the next stage. All of the teams in the Europa League did the same thing. The only other league that did that was La Liga.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Very clearly a down year for the Premiership. Exactly why the likes of Sheffield United and Wolves are up there. Leicester is a different story, but even they wouldn't be as high as they are if some of the other clubs were at the level they should be. Same goes for other leagues as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Arsenal and United are very weak though. One is struggling just to make the top half. I wouldn't say the league isn't strong though. All four teams that were in the CL advanced to the next stage. All of the teams in the Europa League did the same thing. The only other league that did that was La Liga.

Which isn't indicative of the strength of the league on it's own. If those results tell you anything it's simply indicative of the strength of the Premiership and La Liga to other leagues. It's been clear for some time that the Premiership and La Liga are the top two leagues too. This year's Premiership is a weak league as it this year's La Liga.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Very clearly a down year for the Premiership. Exactly why the likes of Sheffield United and Wolves are up there. Leicester is a different story, but even they wouldn't be as high as they are if some of the other clubs were at the level they should be. Same goes for other leagues as well.
I don’t agree with this viewpoint. The top teams are dropping because the middle class is better - a stronger middle class means a deeper league. The bottom teams are bad, but a 15th place Brighton has looked very good in several games this season. The European presence of the PL tells this story as well. The PL was much weaker earlier this decade when you could win the league with 80 points, whereas now you need at least 90. PL is still at a very high level

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We play poorly against Latin American football and that’s how Simeone sets up...truthfully I am not looking forward to that.

Yeah I think Atletico is truly the only team that will give you big issues. Otherwise I think Liverpool would be the favorite in basically every other matchup.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah I think Atletico is truly the only team that will give you big issues. Otherwise I think Liverpool would be the favorite in basically every other matchup.
Atleti suck this year sooo. THere's still the fav.

IF LFC get knocked out in any round of the CL it should be considered a choke job by them. Other than City in the final if they get in form.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

IF LFC get knocked out in any round of the CL it should be considered a choke job by them. Other than City in the final if they get in form.

I don’t think they’re the underdog, just Simeone and Atleti just play the style most conducive to slowing them down.

Messi could also win the tie by himself. But yeah they should be in the final this year for sure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Liverpool are definitely the favorite, but Atlético (and healthy/in-form City) is the toughest matchup for them in the competition. You’ve seen them more than me but Atlético is still a very solid defensive team. Their offense has been banged up and who knows it it heats up again once they they healthy. Still a long time until R16 starts. Choke is very harsh word, Atlético is a very strong team; and after winning the competition last year, no one is going to think it’s the end of the world. If Liverpool win the premier league, no one is going to be mad about what happens in Europe.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don’t think they’re the underdog, just Simeone and Atleti just play the style most conducive to slowing them down.

Messi could also win the tie by himself. But yeah they should be in the final this year for sure.

We tried that last year and fell short the team is somehow worse this year.

Lol I wouldn't go that far.

I would... there's nobody else than can match them toe to toe.

Liverpool are definitely the favorite, but Atlético (and healthy/in-form City) is the toughest matchup for them in the competition. You’ve seen them more than me but Atlético is still a very solid defensive team. Their offense has been banged up and who knows it it heats up again once they they healthy. Still a long time until R16 starts. Choke is very harsh word, Atlético is a very strong team; and after winning the competition last year, no one is going to think it’s the end of the world. If Liverpool win the premier league, no one is going to be mad about what happens in Europe.

It's not the end of the world if they lose but they shouldn't be losing to this Atleti team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I would... there's nobody else than can match them toe to toe.

It's not the end of the world if they lose but they shouldn't be losing to this Atleti team.
They shouldn’t. But the consensus would be saying that about Napoli, and we have seen what happens when LFC play Napoli. Atletico is better than Napoli everywhere, and will bring a similar game plan.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don’t agree with this viewpoint. The top teams are dropping because the middle class is better - a stronger middle class means a deeper league. The bottom teams are bad, but a 15th place Brighton has looked very good in several games this season. The European presence of the PL tells this story as well. The PL was much weaker earlier this decade when you could win the league with 80 points, whereas now you need at least 90. PL is still at a very high level

You need 90 points? Last season you needed 98 and if the first half of this season is any indication Liverpool will only need 79 points this season.

As for middle class being better, I could say a lot.
  • City have had some major injuries. Underperforming regardless of that, but two major injuries is nothing to sneeze at despite their depth. On pace to finish 24 points below last season.
  • Chelsea have lost Hazard and were under a transfer embargo. Also have a very green manager who has never managed in the top flight. On pace to finish 8 points below last season.
  • Spurs didn't do much in the transfer window apart from Ndombele and have a new manager already. On pace to finish 13 points below last season. On pace to finish 22 points below last season.
  • Arsenal are on their third manager at the halfway point of the season and made only one significant signing (Saliba isn't in the team yet) whose minutes have been sporadic. On pace to finish 22 points below last season.
  • Manchester United have been inconsistent and Solskjaer has been too static and ignorant tactically. They show up for big matches, but not for a lot of the other matches. They made some good buys in the transfer window, but also lost some players they failed to replace. Despite last season's slow start they're on pace to finish 10 points below last season.
  • Wolves, a club I would call "middle class", spent 94 million net this Summer and are only on pace to finish 3 points ahead of last season.
  • Everton, another "middle class" club, are on their third manager of the season. They only spent 40 million net more than the previous Summer, but then their only significant departure was Gueye. They are pace to finish 10 points below last season.
  • Leicester I already covered and the only real exception here.
  • West Ham, another "middle class" side, on pace to finish 14 points worse than last season.
  • Watford with a new manager and on pace to finish 24 points below last season.
  • Crystal Palace on pace to finish only 3 points better than last season.
  • Newcastle, having a better season than most expected them to have, only on pace to better last season's points total by 5.

European presence is completely irrelevant to the discussion, but I already addressed that as well when I noted the same of pretty much all the top leagues.

I get why you wouldn't want to admit it, subconsciously I would hope, but it's a notably weaker league this season than it was last season. Not even close.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

You seem to be forgetting about in-form Barcelona.

If Liverpool win the league but don't do well in Europe then I would imagine plenty of supporters would be upset. Considering the commentary on this forum I would expect the entire lot of you would be upset.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You seem to be forgetting about in-form Barcelona.

If Liverpool win the league but don't do well in Europe then I would imagine plenty of supporters would be upset. Considering the commentary on this forum I would expect the entire lot of you would be upset.

If they don't make the CL QF or are eliminated by an English team I will be pissed. Dunno how long I'd be pissed for, but that's what my expectations are. To beat all that lot and beat Atletico as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad