GWT: PL Matchweek 19

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean its quite clear EPl is weaker this year but so to are the rest of the leagues. NOt that LFC should give a shit really. Not their fault and if I were a fan of them I'd be laughing at the rest sooo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Savant You mentioned needing 90 points to win the league, so who are the clubs you think will finish with at least 89 points?

While that's a notable number of injuries, I wouldn't call those "major" injuries in that I meant your top players. Matip and Fabinho are important, but I was meant the likes of a Salah, Mane, Firmino, Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold or Robertson. Still Matip and Fabinho are notable.
Good morning!

Here are the point winning totals of the Premier League winning teams this decade:

2009-10: Chelsea 86 (Utd 85)
2010-11: Utd 80 (Chelsea 71)
2011-12: City 89 (Utd 89)
2012-13: Utd 89 (City 78)
2013-14: City 86 (LFC 84)
2014-15: Chelsea 87 (City 79)
2015-16: Leicester 81 (Arsenal 71)
2016-17: Chelsea 93 (Tot 86)
2017-18: City 100 (Utd 81)
2018-19: City 98 (LFC 97)

The standard has changed. You need to build your team to have over 90 points now. I also think fundamentally we have a different definition of what makes a league up or down. Teams are dropping points to more unique opposition this year so the league is more balanced. City will probably still get at least 85 points. 3rd might have a bit of a buffer but 4th-8th will probably all finish very close to each other too. The big difference is at the beginning of the decade there was a Top 4, that five teams were competing for positions in. Now that has been expanded to a Top 6, and there are probably 8-10 teams in the mix for that. Because it’s a stronger league as a whole. The middle class was not sniffing 4th-6th earlier this decade.

Also remember, Liverpool was without their starting keeper for two months. That is a MAJOR injury. On a talent standpoint there was a major drop from Alisson (7th in BDO voting and best keeper winner) to Adrian, who was displaced as the starter at freaking West Ham. That could have torpedoed the season. Liverpool don’t get enough credit for surviving that.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Premiership this year around is weaker, can't believe some people are saying it's stronger.
They have a super team and a bunch of teams dropping a lot of points they shouldn't be, just like in Spain this year minus the super team.
Is Liverpool really a super team though? They are in the position they are in because they have won a lot of tight games late. They haven’t exactly been blowing teams off the pitch until recently.

I think it’s interesting (not in a bad way) that the Spanish league fans are the ones that think the PL is down. PL is not weaker. It may not be stronger than usual but it is certainly more balanced and there are more teams that are competitive for the European spots. The strength in La Liga is based on how close the Madrid teams finish compared to Barcelona. The PL is different.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Arsenal suck, Manu Suck, Chelsea are meh, Spurs suck and City are having a poor year by their standards. So exactly how is the EPL not down? Wolves and Leciester are having great years the latter who got dominated by both LFC and city in recent weeks.

ANother interesting point is your questioning of Liverpool being a super team because they won so many games late... when have they last lost a game in the league? You cant have it both ways.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool are a super team. Their run of form this past year and this is probably one of the best ever. Especially when you consider they’ve made three major finals in Europe (even if the Europa is a lower tier) while doing it.

They won’t go unbeaten, but their efficiency in grinding out results is crazy. Teams are already setting up knowing they’re not getting a result

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Is Liverpool really a super team though? They are in the position they are in because they have won a lot of tight games late. They haven’t exactly been blowing teams off the pitch until recently.

I think it’s interesting (not in a bad way) that the Spanish league fans are the ones that think the PL is down. PL is not weaker. It may not be stronger than usual but it is certainly more balanced and there are more teams that are competitive for the European spots. The strength in La Liga is based on how close the Madrid teams finish compared to Barcelona. The PL is different.

I think all leagues are weaker compared to last year except for maybe the Serie A.

And yes, Liverpool is a super team, they play like one most of the games and when they don't they still win it.

Reactions: les Habs

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This year compared with past (though arguably last season as well) much of your traditional top 4 (or six) isn’t as consistent. Four or five years ago, Spurs, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City were all pretty solid. Sure, some years up some years a touch down. Different run of form during the season, but for the most part the gap between 2-5/6 wasn’t that great in quality.

Now? There’s a massive gap between first and the rest. There’s also a large gap between 3 and say 6-7. I think some of the traditional teams will improve, but there’s a consistency and quality issue. I still feel City are clearly the second best team, maybe the first on their day and with Laporte back, but the arrogance of Pep and their transfer team has left them way short. I also think it’s hard to work the same magic with two key pieces in Sane and Laporte (plus Kompany) gone. They supposedly wanted Maguire, who while doesn’t quite fit, at least is better than some of what they’re doing. It’s also a ridiculous pace that Pep has set. At some point the message gets stale.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Newcastle should try converting Almiron to a CM. He's got great pace and is a workhorse out there that can move the ball up the pitch very quickly, he works very hard in defense and often comes back for support, but he's absolutely awful when it comes to finishing plays in the final third.

I can't see Everton holding on with how the last 20 minutes of the first half went.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
United isn't that good anymore. City hasn't dropped all that many extra points.
City is a victim of their own success. They are still on pace for about 86 points, which is title winning form for half of the decade. The level has just been raised. Ferguson was the master of the tactical draw. Teams can’t do that anymore, saw that with Liverpool last year. United is a far cry away from what they were, but they are still dangerous. They remind me a lot of Leicester title winning team. Plays very simple, very well. Problem is that LCFC team only got 81 points and the league is a lot better now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Will be fun to kick Liverpool's ass tomorrow on no rest.
You can try. I don’t think anyone is going to kick Liverpool’s ass at Anfield this season but more power to you. Wolverhampton is a fun team and I am glad they are represented on here. No reason they can’t make a run at 4th if they can get more depth.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United isn't that good anymore. City hasn't dropped all that many extra points.

United isn’t as good as they’ve been, but they’re certainly dropping points they shouldn’t.

Their record against bottom half sides is terrible and those are games they should win the large majority of even if they’re not the United of the 90s, 2000s, or early 10s any more.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United isn’t as good as they’ve been, but they’re certainly dropping points they shouldn’t.

Their record against bottom half sides is terrible and those are games they should win the large majority of even if they’re not the United of the 90s, 2000s, or early 10s any more.

It should be noted that they've made it almost into an art form, with games practically in hand, then a player that has played well up to that point, suddenly makes an incredible gaff that literally gifts the opponent with a either a tying or a winning goal. Home game against Palace, United had just drawn level when De Gea suddenly lets in a shot he usually saves 10/10->1-2. Arsenal at home, United leading when Tuanzebe (who was showing signs of erratic passing decisions earlier in the match) passes right to an Arsenal player->1-1. Liverpool at home, United leading 1-0, Rojo had played a great game defensively when instead of watching his man, he suddenly goes to intercept the ball or something->1-1. Individual errors are causing United point losses and have been since SAF retired.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
...and where is the logic in this? Suddenly talent and coaching have just dropped worldwide eh?

Teams are underperforming due to various reasons?
Barça and Madrid have average coaches and now it's showing, Atletico lost a lot of talent.

Bayern sacked Kovac and Dortmund has a bad coach.

City sucks defensively and United/Arsenal/Tottenham have been heavily underperforming, 2 of their coaches already sacked.

Juventus has been the same as always and Inter has been much improved with Conte, Lazio and Roma looking good too.

Ligue 1 is another cakewalk for PSG and Marseille looks better but Lyon is sitting at 12th currently.

I don't care that the PL has more talent overall than last year, teams are not playing up to the talent they have and therefore a weaker PL than last year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

They've lost one of their last 57 league games. They were 29 mm away from being invincibles last season which is something a lot of people forget. The last time they lost in the league to a bad team was January 2018. f***ing 2018, that's almost two years! This kind of run may never be replicated.

Two CL finals in a row, makes six knockout ties in a row they have won. They've beaten every consistent advancing team in Europe over the course of this run except for Juve, Atletico, and RM.

So yeah.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You can try. I don’t think anyone is going to kick Liverpool’s ass at Anfield this season but more power to you. Wolverhampton is a fun team and I am glad they are represented on here. No reason they can’t make a run at 4th if they can get more depth.
I always hope! It's good to believe. I'll be extremely happy with a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad