GWT: PL Matchweek 19

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think this is Pep’s fault in the sense that Kompany should have been replaced to provide the team cover when someone got hurt. Then someone did get hurt.

I’m not talking about their place in the table as that’s impossible to reverse. The results have been pretty bad as a result of this decision even though they would not have kept up either way. To be on pace for 78 points is rather horrifying to City’s board I’m sure.

Im not saying he’s going to get sacked or anything but the cup results better be good.

It doubly impressive given the amount of money Pep has spent on CBs and FBs since he got to City.

One injury and they're trotting out DMs in a CB role.

It's not like Liverpool thinking about putting Fabinho at CB for a random game because they've got fixture congestion and think he's better than your 5th string CB. This is putting Fernandinho there repeatedly because you think he's better than your 3rd string CB who you just spend like 60 million on a couple years ago.

We all know what's gonna happen though. Pep will spend 50M in the winter on CBs and then another 150 in the summer along with 150 on more attackers.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think this is Pep’s fault in the sense that Kompany should have been replaced to provide the team cover when someone got hurt. Then someone did get hurt.

I’m not talking about their place in the table as that’s impossible to reverse. The results have been pretty bad as a result of this decision even though they would not have kept up either way. To be on pace for 78 points is rather horrifying to City’s board I’m sure.

Im not saying he’s going to get sacked or anything but the cup results better be good.
Pep has spent £317 million on his back line since coming to Manchester City, including £108 million on two centrebacks. They also bought Otemendi for £40 million the year before Pep was hired. The quality of defending they have gotten out of that money is shocking.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Pep has spent £317 million on his back line since coming to Manchester City, including £108 million on two centrebacks. They also bought Otemendi for £40 million the year before Pep was hired. The quality of defending they have gotten out of that money is shocking.
Scary thing is, they don't even have a defined best back 4 yet even when fully fit. They just keep throwing money at fullbacks hoping it works out.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It doubly impressive given the amount of money Pep has spent on CBs and FBs since he got to City.

One injury and they're trotting out DMs in a CB role.

It's not like Liverpool thinking about putting Fabinho at CB for a random game because they've got fixture congestion and think he's better than your 5th string CB. This is putting Fernandinho there repeatedly because you think he's better than your 3rd string CB who you just spend like 60 million on a couple years ago.

We all know what's gonna happen though. Pep will spend 50M in the winter on CBs and then another 150 in the summer along with 150 on more attackers.
Pep Jackson is going to PSG because the PL is no longer a 1 horse race I reckon.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Scary thing is, they don't even have a defined best back 4 yet even when fully fit. They just keep throwing money at fullbacks hoping it works out.

Well I think they do. But Mendy can’t stay healthy and then they bought Cancelo to hardly use him even though he should realistically be the starter.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh it is a one horse race. Just not his horse.

City fans are having a go at him on Blue Moon. So again, their cup results better be good.

Reactions: Cassano

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean, it wouldn't shock me to see him leave. At the end of the year he'll have been at City as long as he was with Barca's senior team.

I think at most he'll see his current contract out which ends after next season.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It was over about a month ago, but this seals the deal. Liverpool basically can play at the pace they were at two and three seasons ago and still win the title. I don't think City or Leicester will get over 85 points.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pep Jackson is going to PSG because the PL is no longer a 1 horse race I reckon.
It's not a one horse race, that's ridiculous. They won last year with everything going right for them, and they had a tremendous season. Where Pep has faltered is that when they have faced adversity, they have failed to persevere and still secure enough points to win the title, despite spending an outrageous amount of money to fortify their squad.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's not a one horse race, that's ridiculous. They won last year with everything going right for them, and they had a tremendous season. Where Pep has faltered is that when they have faced adversity, they have failed to persevere and still secure enough points to win the title, despite spending an outrageous amount of money to fortify their squad.
It's a 1-horse race ATM.

We may see the biggest point total gap between 1st and 2nd in PL history this yr.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's a 1-horse race ATM.

We may see the biggest point total gap between 1st and 2nd in PL history this yr.
Yes this season it is, same way it was in 17-18 when Manchester City got 100 points, but year to year it isn't.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well I think they do. But Mendy can’t stay healthy and then they bought Cancelo to hardly use him even though he should realistically be the starter.
Who are their 2 CBs with fully healthy? Laporte for sure, but I think the other options are basically Russian roulette.

Fair point on Mendy, forgot he exists.

Cancelo should be playing more, but somehow Walker is their guy.

They don't know how to set up their best defense yet. At least with Utd for example, you know which 4 defenders are your best.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The quality of defending they have gotten out of that money is shocking.
really?
last year and the year before, two titles, 50 total prem goals conceded
for perspective, arsenal are on pace to concede 60 just this season
actually, that offers no perspective, arsenal suck at defense lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Who are their 2 CBs with fully healthy? Laporte for sure, but I think the other options are basically Russian roulette.

Fair point on Mendy, forgot he exists.

Cancelo should be playing more, but somehow Walker is their guy.

They don't know how to set up their best defense yet.
I’m shocked Cancelo hasn’t gotten more minutes. Something must be going on behind the scenes. Shocked he wasn’t the one to come on at half time. City should be playing Walker at CB.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yes this season it is, same way it was in 17-18 when Manchester City got 100 points, but year to year it isn't.
IDK man, Liverpool hardly reinforced their squad and they're breaking all these records.

What can be done when Nike pushes them for a Sancho/Mbappe transfer? They have a warchest.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
really?
last year and the year before, two titles, 50 total prem goals conceded
for perspective, arsenal are on pace to concede 60 just this season
actually, that offers no perspective, arsenal suck at defense lol
More to do with all their talent than anything. Their defending looks great when they can control 65-70% of the possession against a team parking the bus against them, and it has looked really vulnerable against better competition in the CL and when they have had adversity in the PL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
People look too much at transfers for reinforcement. Maximizing your squad is more important and clearly Pep is not able to do that this season for reasons we don’t know. For what they’ve spent their defense is woeful, and a team like Wolves having a defense of similar level would be hard to believe if we didn’t have proof it was true.

Liverpool did mentally reinforce the squad. The first CL final where one player lost the match showed them they could win, then they actually did it. Some players don’t really push on until they get addicted to winning. I think a few of them already talked about it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's a 1-horse race ATM.

I'd be surprised if it's the biggest gap in history mainly because I think Liverpool will also be chasing the CL and won't worry about running up the score too much in the PL.

Liverpool have to widen their lead by another 7 points over Leicester and 8 over City the rest of the way to take that 'biggest gap ever' title and I just don't think they'll be pushing that hard for it.

Maybe if they can keep the undefeated season going they will simply so they would very clearly be the best PL side ever with no argument from the City 100 point side or the Arsenal 'invincibles' (although there's no real argument for them anyway)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’m shocked Cancelo hasn’t gotten more minutes. Something must be going on behind the scenes. Shocked he wasn’t the one to come on at half time. City should be playing Walker at CB.

He probably said something against Pep so he's in the doghouse.

The same reason Mahrez can't play more than 45 minutes in a game despite often looking like the most dangerous player on the pitch when he plays.

Reactions: Blender

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's a 1-horse race ATM.

Don't want it. Want to be repeat CL winners to cement this teams’s place. Obviously if it doesn’t happen that’s fine, but that’s what I really badly want.

I would prefer that this squad not bankrupt themselves in the process of winning the league. There is a lot at stake now. We also have some injury concerns that need fixing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad