GWT: PL Matchweek 1

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Savant, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    Faxx, Reiss Nelson had more goals than him last year in Bundesliga.

AB13 likes this.
  2. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    There was something about the United/Chelsea game that just felt off, it was like I was watching two liable defensive clubs battling it out for fifth place. I am not saying that's where they will finish, but just because United won like four to nil doesn't mean they got the top three locked up (considering how flashy they looked). Neither will that make Chelsea finish in 11th even though I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Solskjaer looks like he has some Wenger in him and I don't mean it in a good way as well. Since he played forward he seems like the manager who will throw bodies up front regardless of the recklessness it will bring on the counter-attack. They got exposed for it last year and were fortunate that the opponent they were facing has the experience of a toddler. Like who leaves Kante on the bench in a ground as tough as United's is? Wan Bissaka is a fantastic signing though, he does nothing special, but is very solid at both ends of the pitch.

Chelsea, relied on Hazard to make too many plays and goalscoring opportunities for them. They have way too many complimentary players and I've said this in the past once you take Eden out of the equation. You lot think Pedro, Barkley, and Kovacic will be able to consistently create goal scoring chances for Giroud and Abraham? Besides Jorginho and Pulisic ability to make plays, there's going to be a world of hurt which is going to be exacerbated by brainlessness of Zouma and Azpilicueta.

Don't get me wrong that I fancied Zouma as the next line of great centrebacks, but damn he has ever been a disappointment since he came from France. He's the prototypical all brawn no brains type of player and they'll be in bad shape if he plays like today throughout the season. Also, for the all the hype I had to hear about Chelsea's youth...man they were bad. Mount in particular looked like he didn't belong either in the EPL or first-tier Championship.

He's a solid player, so lets not try to take anything away from him, but holy **** this times a trillion. It was NBC agenda, but Rebecca Lowe kept asking the panel how well he played and it's hilarious to hear after every five minutes or so. They even had NBC notifications during the Arsenal game that he was "starting" on the bench.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. Blender

Blender Registered User

Reiss Nelson plays exclusively as a striker, doesn't he? Pulisic played as a winger with Dortmund mostly, and has played as an attacking midfielder.

4. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    All I was thinking about was how Auba-Laca-Pepe would absolutely destroy him. Probably the same way Chelsea fans have felt in the past about about Hazard coming up against Mustafi :laugh:

S E P H likes this.
  5. robertmac43

robertmac43 Forever 43!

University Student
    Nelson also primarily plays out wide.

6. AB13

AB13 Registered User

Nelson is a winger, although he was a shadow striker at times at Hoffenheim. He had the second best goals per minute ratio in the Bundesliga.

7. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    No he plays on either wing interchangeably

8. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

Didn’t age well.

Elliman likes this.
  9. Blender

Blender Registered User

Kante isn't fit and was just getting some game time in today before he can start.

Jorginho having an ability to make plays is outlandish. David Luiz made way more plays from deep last year than Jorginho did. Kovacic is definitely better at getting the ball forward than Jorginho is, not even a question.

Zouma was awful today, they need Rudiger back ASAP and will probably try James and Tomori at some point as well.

10. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Jorginho before being bought was analytically one of the best passers in Serie A, sure majority of them are short passes between teammates but I think you're undervaluing his talent.

11. Blender

Blender Registered User

No, I really don't think I am. He's excellent at making short passes and keeping possession, but he did very little to move the ball forward last year and that continued today, and he's horrendous at defending. He gets pressured a lot more in England than he did in Italy, and can't handle it at all. Hopefully RLC is back soon and replaces him in the lineup.

AB13 likes this.
  12. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    He is a megatstar in Italy where they have 30 seconds more on the ball.

Blender and AB13 like this.
  13. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    It's not that. It's that he is clearly not the primary catalyst in a team's attacking play. It is also that the forwards were much better at Napoli and for that matter so were the defenders. The overall passing play at his last club was much better because Napoli specifically bought players who would complement each other. There is no such strategy at Chelsea, and therefore no strong Jorginho.

14. AB13

AB13 Registered User

Many passing statistics are not really relevant. Passing percentage mostly show how hard your passes are to complete, for instance, Elneny had the highest passing percentage at Arsenal last season but that was more due to him playing simple sideways passes than him being a good passer. Amount of passes is mostly to due with how much of a ball a player has, sure it is a good attribute to be avaliable for a pass but being able to do that is not something that makes you a great player.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  15. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

Shelvey was injured, apparently. A pity that Bruce didn't try introducing Saint-Maximin at that juncture, given that his introduction was manifestly planned for the second half anyway. As it was, introducing Vernon Anita II meant he had to sacrifice Longstaff to bring on ASM, which meant a midfield clogged up with people wanting to push forward getting in each other's way, and a shambolic final quarter to the game.

A pity Muto, who'd shown signs of life in preseason, went unused too.

16. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

Thank you, although I'm past forty already, and the past history of the Wasp family's men suggests by 2050 my innings will be over.

bluesfan94 likes this.
  17. Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus Yo, Goober, where's the meat?

Y'all underrated Jorginho last year and continue to do so. If not for ****ty finishing, he would've had like 7 assists last year IIRC, and I thought he played well in the first half today.

The result of the match doesn't really change the contents of my post, and I stand by it. Looking at the XIs, I still don't think theirs is better, and it remains true that we were missing five players who would be ahead on the depth chart of some who played today (Pulisic, Kante, Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek, and Hudson-Odoi). The balance of play today wasn't a 4-0, and I remain confident about the season and how we'll do relative to them.

18. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

United wins 4-0 against Chelsea and everyone still knocking them lol. Salty crowd. I love it. Keep it up lads.

I thought Wan-Bisska was fantastic. Maguire was solid. Pogba and Martial were bossing it. McTominay was the player I was was most excited about. Great performance from him today. Rashford solid as well. Pereira I’m still iffy on. Shaw was ok. Lindelof was solid. de Gea looked like his old self again. I didn’t rate Lingards performance today. Thought he was poor to be honest. I think United have better options. United played the youngest team in the EPL this round. Well done.

If all were healthy and firing on all cylinders I think i’d drop Lingard and Pereira.

Replace them with Greenwood (yes I know he’s only 17!) and or Mata / James.

I was reading earlier United can still sell players to clubs outside the EPL! Is this true?

I was reading about the below potential deals

Sanchez on load to Roma for 1 or 2 seasons.
    Darmian to a handful of Italian clubs named
    Rojo and Fred were also named as potential players to leave United soon.

19. Wee Baby Seamus

Wan-Bissaka was lights out, what a good debut for him. I was always really impressed watching him with Palace, and I'm happy for y'all that he hasn't skipped a beat.

20. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    What I took from this post is that you seem to have read a Dan Brown novel, very disappointing

Stray Wasp likes this.
  21. Wee Baby Seamus

Luckily we don't play Arsenal until December, by which point Rudiger will be back. Zouma was reaaaaallly bad today, but he was damn good for Everton last season. He really is a "what could have been" for me, though, because he was developing incredibly before he did his knee in and missed a year.

robertmac43 likes this.
  22. SJSharks39

SJSharks39 Registered User

I’d drop Lingard but keep Pereira in there.

Elliman likes this.
  23. Blender

Blender Registered User

Yikes, even worse than I thought.

24. John Pedro

John Pedro #JackHughes

Solid and unimpressive win by Arsenal. Mkhitaryan is such a polarizing player, had some great runs and a nice long pass to Auba but also misplayed a lot of short passes that killed some promising plays. Willock and Nelson were okay. Guendouzi was pretty good, just need to be a bit quicker passing the ball. Pepé had nice touches as did Ceballos.

Nice to see Martinelli at just 18y getting some minutes, I was expecting him to be with the u23 squad. David Luiz and Sokratis could form a very solid CB duo, DL long passing could be a valuable asset with the pace of Auba and Pepe playing wide plus Lacazette hold up play.

Promising start.

25. Elliman

Elliman Registered User

Yes he is. Mkhitaryan definitely over Sanchez in that transfer swap. Can’t see it changing anytime soon either unless Alexis suddenly starts playing like the player he is capable of. Such a shame.