GWT: PL Matchweek 1

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Couldn't have asked for a better debut from Maguire and AWB. Both were brilliant defensively and exactly what this team needed. Rashford and Martial were clinical. Pogba struggled in the 1st half, but showed his quality in the 2nd. Bit lucky at times with Chelsea hitting the post, but overall United earned the win.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Against Tammy Abraham though. He better goddamn well be a rock.
Not just against Abraham, he blocked or deflected half a dozen long shots and dominated in the air all game.

United overpaid, but he's probably the best player in the league at defending the box.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What a game for United. Huge for them to not only get three points but in the way that they did. They looked pretty good defensively (absolute huge step from last season). Pereira will be huge for them this season.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not just against Abraham, he blocked or deflected half a dozen long shots and dominated in the air all game.

United overpaid, but he's probably the best player in the league at defending the box.

Hahahaha. That Virgil guy is pretty good at it I heard.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to be a rough year for Chelsea I presume and I have not been sold on Pulisic being a savior kind of player.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Couldn't have asked for a better debut from Maguire and AWB. Both were brilliant defensively and exactly what this team needed. Rashford and Martial were clinical. Pogba struggled in the 1st half, but showed his quality in the 2nd. Bit lucky at times with Chelsea hitting the post, but overall United earned the win.

Yeah, full credit to him for turning it around in the second half with two assists.

Maguire's only been training with the team for 3-4 days. Definitely expecting him to improve with more training.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah, full credit for turning it around in the second half with two assists.

Maguire's only been training with the team for 3-4 days. Definitely expecting him to improve with more training.
Yeah you could see the defensive side of Maguire but he wasn't really sending long balls or building the attack. I think that will change eventually though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To the surprise of no one who watched Leicester regularly, Maguire was a rock in his United debut.

I don’t know if it’s been me watching United for so many recent years without a presence like his on the back line, or if he just looked better surrounded by a lot of other good talent, but he shone very brightly out there today.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Eh, I'm not gonna say this is a crisis. We looked really good in the first half and it could've been a fully different game. We had games like this last year where we were far better in the first half, were unlucky, and then got whooped in the second. And they happened against worse teams. I choose to look at the bright spots, of which the first half had many.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Oh come on, half the team? Name them.
I mean I wouldn't say Championship level but there are plenty of players that aren't proven in the PL that Chelsea is forced to rely on. I think there's a big risk of them not working but I would still say that they are comfortably a top 6 team in the PL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean I wouldn't say Championship level but there are plenty of players that aren't proven in the PL that Chelsea is forced to rely on. I think there's a big risk of them not working but I would still say that they are comfortably a top 6 team in the PL.
Wolves and Leicester will tear them apart if this game is any indication.

Maguire looked good but it wasn't exactly hard on him today. Can't criticize him for not being asked a lot of though; he did very well for what he was needed for.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Eh, I'm not gonna say this is a crisis. We looked really good in the first half and it could've been a fully different game. We had games like this last year where we were far better in the first half, were unlucky, and then got whooped in the second. And they happened against worse teams. I choose to look at the bright spots, of which the first half had many.
It's not a crisis because this is clearly not our best lineup, and despite the scoreline we outplayed them most of the game. Are there some issues? Oh definitely, we got shredded by counterattacks, which was also our biggest weakness last year.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wolves and Leicester don’t have the bench to call on when players get injured and they won’t finish anywhere near Chelsea. This still wasn’t good of course.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If I'm Chelsea I'm prepared for these first couple of weeks to be tough. They are going to have to refind their identities a bit with the lack of a Hazard.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I just saw some extended highlights and the United - Chelsea match looked closer than the scoreline suggested. Chelsea hit the post twice. Either way the first month usually has some crazy results for just about every team in the league.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The definitive Newcastle United preview for 2019/20 (and for pretty much every season between now and Mike Ashley's death, as long as you change the relevant names. Apart from the various seasons when Ashley will cause Newcastle to be relegated to the Championship. Unless he succeeds in his subconscious desire to put Newcastle in the third tier).

Even before Steve Bruce was officially vomited forth as Head Apologist of Newcastle United, the dishonesty kicked in. Certain Newcastle fans, we were told, weren’t willing to give him a chance because once upon a time he’d managed budding League One stalwarts sunderland. This creates a neat circularity. When Bruce was sacked by the Wearsiders (so long ago that they were a struggling Premier League club), he tried to tell the world the mackems hated him because he was a Geordie.

Here we must confront the basic question of a manger’s role. It itsn’t to achieve results. It isn’t to play with a recognisable style. It isn’t to improve players. It’s to keep drawing a paycheck as long as possible. To that end, it’s a mistake to worry about failing. The cardinal error is not to have someone else to blame when you do fail, so that another club employs you soon afterward.

As with Sam Allardyce and Alan Pardew, so with Bruce – he bleats his excuses, when the reality is sunderland and Newcastle fans despise him because there’s no reason not to. Tactical nous? Well, when he returned to the EPL with Hull in 2013, pro-Bruce journalists were trumpeting that he’d learned as a manager because he was playing three at the back. In fact, a three-man defence was being used by hacks like John Gregory as early as 1996. Ability to improve players? There’s no especial evidence of this beyond the ‘even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day’ rule. Recognisable style? That I’ll grant you, with the regrettable caveat that it’s a style every fan dreads their team adopting – not much possessional structure, just pass the ball out wide, put in crosses, and hope every other coach in the league can’t teach their defence where to stand.

These are the qualities that led sunderland to thirteenth place in 2009-10, despite record signing Darren Bent’s 24 goals, coupled with the signing of Lorik Cana and the emergence of Jordan Henderson to strengthen their midfield. Yet sunderland ended up conceding more goals than they had the season before, when Roy Keane had been ineptly replaced by Ricky Spragia.

The next season, Bruce took Onuoha and Welbeck on loan from the Manchester clubs. Asamoah Gyan arrived for yet another transfer record. Bruce had sunderland in seventh when Darren Bent demanded a transfer. Bent joined Villa, Stephane Sessegnon was signed, and the mackems dropped to tenth, a mere three-point improvement on the season before. They’d conceded the exact same number of goals as that campaign, and their final 14 games brought only two clean sheets. In the first 13 games of the next season, sunderland managed 12 points, at which Bruce was booted out the door. But not before he’d splurged £12 million on Connor Wickham.

During Bruce’s tenure, sunderland’s wage bill never dropped below 77% of the club’s turnover. He couldn’t complain about lack of investment. He’d suffered a humiliating 5-1 defeat in the Tyne-Wear derby, which he blamed on sunderland fielding a lot of young players who lacked experience of intense atmospheres. These players, however, were almost to a man his signings. And he himself had appeared in pre-game press conferences oozing a complacent certainty his team would win. After the game, this transformed into hilarious, maiden-aunt indignation that NUFC's PA announcer had played 'Daydream Believer' at the final whistle, so that the Geordies could change the lyrics to insult Bruce. Come the return, Bruce said, failing spectacularly to learn his lesson, he'd choose a record to play when sunderland won. Bruce so successfully motivated his team for that game they only avoided a 1-0 defeat thanks to an injury-time fluke.

How shrewd of Newcastle United to engage this man to develop under-25 year olds with no experience in the EPL into stars.

As it happens, I think Newcastle might give a decent account of themselves today. But even if they don’t, Bruce won’t lack sympathy from his media mates, and the least molehill will be presented as a mountain of achievement. Bruce is ‘decent’, a ‘good man’ we’re told. It’s also been said that prior to gaining the job Bruce had a good relationship with Mike Ashley. Media reports suggest some of the players find his approach to man-management more palatable than that of Benitez.

Consider Ashley’s other footballing allies: Joe Kinnear – a Walter Mitty figure, Alan Pardew – a rather slippery individual, and Dennis Wise – a convicted criminal. Is it to Bruce’s credit that he should feature in this company? It’s an obscure point, but something a lot of Geordies find irritating about Bruce is his accent. He talks like a working class lad putting on his ‘posh voice’. He seems to be someone who builds good relationships with everyone. Is that a sign of decency, or a creep who knows who to network better than to do the job he's paid for?

Nor do fans of a certain age forget 20 October 1996. Newcastle United hammered Manchester United 5-0. And, believe it or not younger readers, in those days the Fallen Empire were the best team in the country. Steve Bruce was a studio guest. He’d left Old Trafford in the summer of 1995 to join Birmingham City. So what do you think was his reaction to his boyhood team, the team of his father, thumping his old employers? Why, he had a face like his cat had been steamrolled. At that moment, Steve Bruce’s true loyalties were revealed. Confirmation came in 2004 when he received a misguided offer to replace Bobby Robson as manager. The man who’d walked out on Crystal Palace to manage Birmingham less than three years before meekly submitted to the Bluenoses’ insistence he honour his contract, then spent the years after 2006 (when his leading Birmingham to an embarrassing, avoidable relegation shredded his reputation and hopes of the Man United job), turning the maudlin sentiment about NUFC up to eleven.

Then there’s Bruce’s strange career as a novelist. He wrote three books, respectably named Striker!, Sweeper! and Defender! that have been derided by the few who read them. Now, a footballer who loves literature deserves to be treated generously. As a general rule, so do authors. But what are we to make of the fact Bruce’s hero is a football manager named Steve Barnes? It’s impossible to read Dan Brown without feeling he wishes he were Robert Langdon, but to pretty much make yourself the hero of your own novel and make the most dilatory effort to conceal it from the world suggests and extraordinary mixture of vanity and foolishness.

The contrast between Bruce’s and Benitez’s personalities here is unavoidable, because Benitez, prickly or not, has the winners medals, where Bruce has to settle for one lost cup final and a pair of tenth place finishes. Oh, and those two relegations as well as the lost playoff final in 2018 against a Fulham team reduced to ten men for much of the second half. Ashley complained no matter what he offered Benitez, Rafa always wanted more. He might want to check the transfer churn at Bruce’s previous clubs – that fabled likeability doesn’t appear to build working relationships with players that endure.

Another irony is that NUFC likes to operate with small squads, where Bruce’s back catalogue is one of big squads that he needs to use in full, because wherever he goes an injury crisis follows. Could it be that his training comprises too much of matey jokes, and too little 21st century conditioning?
The truly depressing thing about this upcoming season is that Newcastle United fans will be treated to either failure, or failure presented as success. Even with Ashley depressing the club’s commercial potential, NUFC had the eighth-highest turnover in the 2017/18 campaign. But £30 million-plus of that went into Ashley’s pocket rather than Benitez’s transfer budget. The model is to plough the bare minimum into the team, and keep back £30 million to cover the financial shortfall of another relegation. And Bruce is the perfect man for this model – so low are expectations that 17th place will be that much easier to portray as a positive. Bruce’s CV is poor enough that he’ll be chuffed. His mates will boost him, as will the xenophobes who are glad to see the back of Benitez at all, let alone his replacement by a Proper Football Man.

The best-case scenario goes as follows:

Bruce doesn’t meddle with Benitez’s foundation too much, so the defence is relatively solid.
Joelinton, Saint-Maximin and Almiron between them manage to replace the 23 goals of Perez and Rondon.
Longstaff continues to develop.

If the above happens, two from Everton, Leicester, Watford and West Ham disappoint, then Bruce may finish as high as ninth. It will be said Ashley is vindicated. The fat, ugly, dirty-looking man will grin. But next summer laurels will be sat on. Then stagnation will set in, and the steady drop down the table will start. And before you know it, NUFC will be in the Championship again, and Ashley will be doing another self-pitying speech in front of someone who calls themselves a journalist, but is in fact a traitor to their profession.

The worst case scenario is so obvious it doesn’t need airing again.
When I die, I beg of you to write my eulogy.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It wasn't pretty, but we got the win today and that's all that matters with our "C" team. Maitland Niles was BY FAR the MTOM today and it wasn't even close to second place. He was amazing and it sucks that because two managers disregard the RB position, he's forced to play there instead of the middle of the park like he should. I see a lot of young OX in him and in a good way.

Xhaka got his weekly yellow, but everyone looked strong on the defensive side for the clean sheet. We gotta watch for our passing though, against a more talented squad they would've potentially ripped us apart on the counter due to some really shoddy passing decisions. I don't consider that a huge negative since we're playing majority of our backups today. I want to see what Torreira and Ceballos can do in the middle on one of these games. Ceballos plays like a deer and I do not mean that as a positive. He's way to jumpy and honestly has too much energy. Instead of trying to waste time - prevented Pepe and Martinelli talent to shine today - he kept trying to press the ball and conducted some unforced plays simply because he wants to make things happen. I see the same type of scenario with St. Maximin, very high energy player with good dribbling who thinks that doing more will create more when in reality the opposite is true. Both will become good players though.

Almiron's dive was so bad.... couldn't even fool Atkinson.
That's bad because Atkinson is a terrible ref; two clear cut chances by Arsenal players who get tackled/held by Toon players, no yellows. Yet a millisecond late sliding tackle and he's already in the book. Just nonsense.

Newcastle didn't look the same after Bruce took Shelvey off.
Yeah not sure what he was thinking there, perhaps wanted to test out some of his other transfers.

Yes. The irony of Arsenal supporters suddenly praising David Luiz, who have been ****ting on him for years, is not lost on me here though.
I still don't like the player because he takes too many risks for a CB, but I never deemed him as worthless though (I just think his transfers were way overpriced for the liability he brings PSG/Chelsea). However, have you seen the rest of our CBs'? Just putrid so he is an upgrade on the rest of the team and that's why Gooners are a bit more optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->