GWT: PL Matchweek 1

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I know Mkhitaryan is a polarizing player, but he produces and there are couple of weeks during the season where he everything he touches is gold.

He produced better goals + assist / per mins than Alli, Lucas, Zaha, Willian, Pedro, Lingard and Mata last season. I think most would think those players are top 6 quality.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Literally everyone on here after week 1:

watches their team "got the result, expected the sloppiness. wait till we get our best lineup and team integrated - only have a short preseason before this"

watches their rivals "wow they're f***ed. what were they doing all preseason? Can't fix this "

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Literally everyone on here after week 1:

watches their team "got the result, expected the sloppiness. wait till we get our best lineup and team integrated - only have a short preseason before this"

watches their rivals "wow they're ****ed. what were they doing all preseason? Can't fix this "
I don't think this applies to everyone.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

So by a quick view.

9 back passes vs 3 or 4 forward ones.
Dispossessed twice in the attacking third and once in the defending third.
Two unsuccessful crosses, one of which was overhit by about 10 yards.

His positives:
Getting away from AWB for a moment before Pogba fouled him
Interception off Pogba that could have led to a dangerous chance, but a bit of poor movement spoiled it.
Nice pass to Emerson coming up the left on a break that led to a good shot/chance.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I like Pulisic a lot, and I hope he succeeds.

But the progression from the pregame show on NBC, which was 90 mins of PULISIC THA GOD and acting as if America was just introduced to soccer, to them back pedaling stunned when he wasn't in the starting 11 was hilarious.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Other highlights in the pregame included the interview with Pulisic where they asked his favorite hockey team, to which he said Rangers.

Then they asked canned questions about Pennsylvania, including "Penguins or Flyers" and Pulisic looked so goddamn confused. lol

Reactions: NCRanger

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Other highlights in the pregame included the interview with Pulisic where they asked his favorite hockey team, to which he said Rangers.

Then they asked canned questions about Pennsylvania, including "Penguins or Flyers" and Pulisic looked so goddamn confused. lol
Why were they asking him about hockey? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask about NFL or NBA or something (or, you know, soccer)? He's not Canadian.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Why were they asking him about hockey? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask about NFL or NBA or something (or, you know, soccer)? He's not Canadian.

it was a cheesy interview. favorite actor/movie, team, etc etc. but they played up the fact he's from PA, but didn't account for the fact he roots for NY teams. It was funny.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Solid and unimpressive win by Arsenal. Mkhitaryan is such a polarizing player, had some great runs and a nice long pass to Auba but also misplayed a lot of short passes that killed some promising plays. Willock and Nelson were okay. Guendouzi was pretty good, just need to be a bit quicker passing the ball. Pepé had nice touches as did Ceballos.

Nice to see Martinelli at just 18y getting some minutes, I was expecting him to be with the u23 squad. David Luiz and Sokratis could form a very solid CB duo, DL long passing could be a valuable asset with the pace of Auba and Pepe playing wide plus Lacazette hold up play.

Promising start.
Pretty much my thoughts as well, Mkhi didn't look too bad out there, but is just insanely inconsistent. He's the bloke who would hit the wall during a free kick 9 out of 10 times, but that one other time it looks like a Messi free kick. Some Arsenal fans are angry we sold Iwobi over him, but for how inconsistent he is his over the top balls are night an day difference to Iwobi. When Alex tried to do any crosses or over the top balls they were always so damn bad.

Yes he is. Mkhitaryan definitely over Sanchez in that transfer swap. Can’t see it changing anytime soon either unless Alexis suddenly starts playing like the player he is capable of. Such a shame.
Well, as of now probably, but that entire move was a blessing in disguise for us. Alexis is by far the superior player, but he wanted out the most perfect time since we've seen that his age has really caught up with him.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
What I took from this post is that you seem to have read a Dan Brown novel, very disappointing

An old friend pressed it upon me. Afterward, my opinion of their judgement suffered a severe blow.

The one saving grace was that when Mark Kermode reviewed the Da Vinci Code movie, I was able fully to savour his description of Brown's style.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I felt he fell off a cliff last year. Must be concerning for Chelsea fans.

Yeah, I feel like he's best suited for RCB of a back 3. I honestly feel that Reece James can win that starting spot by the end of the year. Azpilicueta's best contribution was being solid defensively, but it's been slipping the past year or so. Him and Zouma were terrible against United.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Y'all underrated Jorginho last year and continue to do so. If not for ****ty finishing, he would've had like 7 assists last year IIRC, and I thought he played well in the first half today.

The result of the match doesn't really change the contents of my post, and I stand by it. Looking at the XIs, I still don't think theirs is better, and it remains true that we were missing five players who would be ahead on the depth chart of some who played today (Pulisic, Kante, Rudiger, Loftus-Cheek, and Hudson-Odoi). The balance of play today wasn't a 4-0, and I remain confident about the season and how we'll do relative to them.

Yeah, Rudiger in for Zouma makes a big difference. Kante healthy and back in his DM role helps the back 4 as well. RLC and Hudson-Odoi in the attacking trio is a big upgrade as well. Chelsea will still struggle at times, but those 4 are probably in the top 4-6 most important players to our success. It's the 2 best attacking players, best midfielder, and best defender.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yeah, I feel like he's best suited for RCB of a back 3. I honestly feel that Reece James can win that starting spot by the end of the year. Azpilicueta's best contribution was being solid defensively, but it's been slipping the past year or so. Him and Zouma were terrible against United.

I thought Christensen was bad, at least in the situations leading to goals / dangerous opportunities. He was often caught up in terrible positions when Chelsea lost the ball.

Now, that may be because of tactics and him being given more leeway to wander forward (less than Emerson, though). Turnovers can't be really predicted, but nevertheless when they did happen, Christensen was unable to recover in time and the other defenders were left with too much to cover and were overwhelmed by opponents.

Kante somewhat helped with this problem when he came on.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I thought Christensen was bad, at least in the situations leading to goals / dangerous opportunities. He was often caught up in terrible positions when Chelsea lost the ball.

Now, that may be because of tactics and him being given more leeway to wander forward (less than Emerson, though). Turnovers can't be really predicted, but nevertheless when they did happen, Christensen was unable to recover in time and the other defenders were left with too much to cover and were overwhelmed by opponents.

Kante somewhat helped with this problem when he came on.
Emerson was our only "good" defender IMO.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Zouma messed up again on the 2nd Liverpool goal. Pulisic was very good, Pedro ran non-stop, Kante is pretty special, Kovacic did basically nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->