GWT: PL Matchday 2

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
How was Pogba not good enough? Yeah he missed the penalty and that sucks. I don’t know what else he’s supposed to do in that game though.
Literally anything because he's the only creative player in the starting 11. It's an absolute miracle that they even managed to score a goal without his involvement.

And yeah, it's unfair to put that expectation on him, but that's on Woodward, not Lingard/James/McTominay

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Literally anything because he's the only creative player in the starting 11. It's an absolute miracle that they even managed to score a goal without his involvement.

And yeah, it's unfair to put that expectation on him, but that's on Woodward, not Lingard/James/McTominay
So basically what’s you’re saying is that he needs to do everything because he’s their best player? That’s not just unfair that’s entirely unrealistic. And yes it is Lingard/James/McTominay because none of them are good enough. Is Woodward also at fault? f*** yeah he is. Is OGS also at fault? He should have made substitutions earlier and one of Mata or Andreas needs to always be in the team so at least someone can take set plays. Also Shaw was getting eaten alive by a player that couldn’t cut it at Villa. Lingard is supposed to be a creative player but the only thing creative about him is the way he can play everyone else. He had two clear opportunities to put the game away and one he entirely miskicked (a kick that most U10s would at least make contact with) and the other he just gave up on. McTominay was no help in the buildup and not great defensively. James faded in and out of the game and while he did have some decent chances to use his speed, I can count on one hand the number of good plays he made.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
So basically what’s you’re saying is that he needs to do everything because he’s their best player? That’s not just unfair that’s entirely unrealistic. And yes it is Lingard/James/McTominay because none of them are good enough. Is Woodward also at fault? **** yeah he is. Is OGS also at fault? He should have made substitutions earlier and one of Mata or Andreas needs to always be in the team so at least someone can take set plays. Also Shaw was getting eaten alive by a player that couldn’t cut it at Villa. Lingard is supposed to be a creative player but the only thing creative about him is the way he can play everyone else. He had two clear opportunities to put the game away and one he entirely miskicked (a kick that most U10s would at least make contact with) and the other he just gave up on. McTominay was no help in the buildup and not great defensively. James faded in and out of the game and while he did have some decent chances to use his speed, I can count on one hand the number of good plays he made.
why is Matic exiled from the squad

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Only 2 teams that are 2-0... man that's just.... I don't even know what to make of that
There will be one 3-0 team next week.
eyes.png

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So basically what’s you’re saying is that he needs to do everything because he’s their best player? That’s not just unfair that’s entirely unrealistic. And yes it is Lingard/James/McTominay because none of them are good enough. Is Woodward also at fault? **** yeah he is. Is OGS also at fault? He should have made substitutions earlier and one of Mata or Andreas needs to always be in the team so at least someone can take set plays. Also Shaw was getting eaten alive by a player that couldn’t cut it at Villa. Lingard is supposed to be a creative player but the only thing creative about him is the way he can play everyone else. He had two clear opportunities to put the game away and one he entirely miskicked (a kick that most U10s would at least make contact with) and the other he just gave up on. McTominay was no help in the buildup and not great defensively. James faded in and out of the game and while he did have some decent chances to use his speed, I can count on one hand the number of good plays he made.
I mean, I don't really disagree with anything here. Having 3 midfielders with limited technique just doesn't cut it against this Wolves side. Doesn't mean the players "aren't good enough" though.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I mean, I don't really disagree with anything here. Having 3 midfielders with limited technique just doesn't cut it against this Wolves side. Doesn't mean the players "aren't good enough" though.
It means the players aren’t good enough when they aren’t good enough. Shaw getting caved in shows he wasn’t good enough. McTominay being unable to help in the game (honestly really at all) means he wasn’t good enough. James being unable to beat his man and create something worthwhile means he isn’t good enough. Lingard unable to create anything or bury either of his chances means he isn’t good enough.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It means the players aren’t good enough when they aren’t good enough. Shaw getting caved in shows he wasn’t good enough. McTominay being unable to help in the game (honestly really at all) means he wasn’t good enough. James being unable to beat his man and create something worthwhile means he isn’t good enough. Lingard unable to create anything or bury either of his chances means he isn’t good enough.
They were good enough a week ago...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
One thing I'll note is that as bad as United were in the second half, Wolves didn't really generate a single high quality chance. It took a world class strike to just barely beat DDG. Beyond that it was a header from about 10 yards out that was never going to have any power or have a chance to beat De Gea

United had the goal, the Martial chance at the end of the half that he just bobbled, Lingard's volley attempt, Lingard's chance where he decided to not stick his foot out and stop the ball for an easy goal, the penalty, and maybe a couple others I missed.

I wouldn't be surprised if xG maps ended up near equal though because basically all of United's best chances didn't result in a shot attempt and thus wouldn't be tracked.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I think a lot of the issues Shaw had was that there was zero help ahead of him and all of their breakout came from the other side of the field which meant he was responsible to stay back more. I lost count of the number of times DDG would get the ball, roll it out to Shaw who would move it up the left side to about 1/3 and then have 3 or 4 Wolves players blocking anything forward so he'd have to either send it to Maguire or DDG who would then send it over to AWB. AWB would then get up to about half or just past since he had less pressure on that side and the cycle would start.

United stopped running up their left side which meant Shaw was basically on full time defensive duty and there weren't many chances to make overlapping runs or provide any width.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I never said they were good enough a week ago. The only player that made an impact last week that I listed was James who scored on an already beaten Chelsea off a deflection.

Both Shaw and Mctominay had good games last week. Mctominay also wasn’t asked to go forward much last week, especially as part of the break out, which helped a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad