GWT: PL Matchday 2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Meh, I don't see the issue in having 2 guys that share the responsibility, as long as they are on the same page about it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Glazers aren’t going to bail Man United out anymore.

Not sure if you've just phrased this wrong but this doesn't make sense. They've never, ever bailed United out. Fergie bailed them out for years.

Any issues with the club's success falls squarely on the Glazers. They've prioritized making money, and let an M&A expert pose a technical director.

They have no right to cry that spending hasn't gotten them what was promised. Their man spent the money poorly, not "United"

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not sure if you've just phrased this wrong but this doesn't make sense. They've never, ever bailed United out. Fergie bailed them out for years.

Any issues with the club's success falls squarely on the Glazers. They've prioritized making money, and let an M&A expert pose a technical director.

They have no right to cry that spending hasn't gotten them what was promised. Their man spent the money poorly, not "United"

Yea the Glazers have pulled hundreds of millions out of the club over the years. There was an article last year sometime that detailed just how much they've pulled out of the club and saddled the club with extra debt to finance their ownership.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One could say that the player who earned it, has taken the penalty. Rashford earned it last week and Pogba yesterday.

Then it sounds like they are fine. As long as they don't get to that level of animosity that was there with Cavani and Neymar at the start of his PSG time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pogba's success rate on penalties is 72%. Here's some other players from recent years/decades:

Litmanen 96.6%
Zlatan 88.8%
C Ronaldo 83.3%
Rooney 78.9%
Ronaldinho 78.6%
Aguero 78.6%
Messi 77.3%

Rickie Lambert 94,3%
Jorginho 92,3%
Eden Hazard 87,3%
Steven Gerrard 85,2%
Robin van Persie 84,8%
James Milner 84,4%
Harry Kane 83,3%
Luis Suarez 81,3%
Anthony Martial 80%
Neymar 79,3%
Mohamed Salah 78,6%

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I remember reading in 2012 after Chelsea beat Bayern on penalties that the success rate in Europe is about 76%. That number probably has changed though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I remember reading in 2012 after Chelsea beat Bayern on penalties that the success rate in Europe is about 76%. That number probably has changed though.

Last I saw it was ~75% success, ~20% save, and ~5% miss.

Either way, individual players numbers are based on such a small sample it’s not super meaningful to look at the binary conversion data.

Sure Pogba is 7/11 in the PL which is below average, but if he makes that one he’s 8/11 and is dead on average.

Plus that does include conversions in the Europa and Champions league for United.

Overall he’s 9/13 for United after that miss (below average) and would have been 10/13 (above average) if he had made it.

It’s more more interesting to look at how the penalties were taken. The one yesterday was a poor penalty. He didn’t try to deceive the keeper or stutter his run at all and although he hit it with pace it was in a location that’s perfectly savable for the keeper. It was basically the penalty a keeper dreams of seeing since it was straight at his hands and hit with enough pace that the rebound would be well clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I appreciate Pogba wanting to step up, but it should be Rashford's job unless OGS says otherwise.

That being said, the racists need to bleep off.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious question, can VAR justify red card-potential plays? I ask because James clearly should've gotten a second yellow for his studs up tackle on a Wolves player. Absolutely pathetic that Moss let that slide just because he gave him a first yellow for diving.

Also lol at United fans racist-abused their own player when Pogba missed that penalty. Was a pretty weak penalty, Pogba ran into the bloke than the other way around.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fun thing I was reading about today was the German way of taking penalties from a while back. Basically each training session they would practice 3 different PK shots and remember them as shot A,B or C. If they were called upon to shoot the manager then just gave them a letter and that is where the player shot. Takes a lot of pressure off the shooter and puts the responsibility on the manager. Just thought it was a cool little strategy.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Curious question, can VAR justify red card-potential plays? I ask because James clearly should've gotten a second yellow for his studs up tackle on a Wolves player. Absolutely pathetic that Moss let that slide just because he gave him a first yellow for diving.

As far as I know it’s only for straight reds, penalties, and goals.

I don’t know if they’re allowed to intervene in a situation where a second yellow was issued and thus a player is off (eg, player is given a second yellow for diving but there was actually a missed foul) but I do know it’s not able to look for second yellows that may have been missed.

In addition, I’m not sure if VAR would have been involved even if they were looking for second yellows. It’s not supposed to readjudicate ref decisions, it’s supposed to look for things refs missed. In that case Moss didn’t miss it, he’s just a bad official.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess you could have several funny versions of that. What if VAR thinks it might be a straight red? And after review the ref thinks it should be a yellow? Would he/she then be "allowed" to give a yellow?

Missing a straight red even if the ref see the incident would be a possible VAR situation. So I don't think that is the reason for not looking at it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad