GWT: PL Match Week 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Did that change direction or go straight in? Live I thought it looked lite it changed direction but after seeing the replays I'm not as sure

Edit: yeah it did

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
More champions leagues than your teams history...
Let's be real here, Pep's time at City is going to be judged by continental success at the end of the day, which he has achieved nothing so far. He's spent over a billion dollars on players since coming to City on top of the world class players that were already there when he arrived, so domestic dominance is the expectation not an incredible achievement. That isn't to knock City's back to back titles, it's impressive, but anything less would have been seen as a disappointment or failure with the squad he has at his disposal.

Reactions: Cassano

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Burnley buried themselves. Was a shame cause Liverpool didn’t really have any chances that whole half.

No way they’re scoring a goal today :laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Let's be real here, Pep's time at City is going to be judged by continental success at the end of the day, which he has achieved nothing so far. He's spent over a billion dollars on players since coming to City on top of the world class players that were already there when he arrived, so domestic dominance is the expectation not an incredible achievement. That isn't to knock City's back to back titles, it's impressive, but anything less would have been seen as a disappointment or failure with the squad he has at his disposal.
It is an incredibly achievement given the manner he did it in. It was an historic result his first title. It’s also not easy to just spend money and win just ask Manu, Madrid and others

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Too early to drink, but if I was younger I'd drink every time Liverpool is accused of being lucky. Would make for a lot of fun weekend afternoons.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I've seen some horrible calls in the last 30 years.

Kevin Friend's decision on the Grealish "incident" has to be top-3.

He should not be to ref again this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It is an incredibly achievement given the manner he did it in. It was an historic result his first title. It’s also not easy to just spend money and win just ask Manu, Madrid and others
Pep has a net spend of £482.71M at Manchester City. United has a net spend of £395.92M over the same time period. No doubt Manchester City has spent their money far better than Manchester United have, but City has still spent almost £100 million more. No one else in the EPL is even close to that, so brushing off City's spending as if it isn't the most meaningful aspect of their success isn't a valid argument, it just highlights how inept Manchester United's transfer team has been.

Real Madrid has a net spend of £128.48M over that time period, with most of it this summer, and has 1 league title, 2 CL titles, and a few Supercups, Club World Championships, and Supercopa tossed in. Not sure how that is in any way comparable to City.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pep has a net spend of £482.71M at Manchester City. United has a net spend of £395.92M over the same time period. No doubt Manchester City has spent their money far better than Manchester United have, but City has still spent almost £100 million more. No one else in the EPL is even close to that, so brushing off City's spending as if it isn't the most meaningful aspect of their success isn't a valid argument, it just highlights how inept Manchester United's transfer team has been.

Real Madrid has a net spend of £128.48M over that time period, with most of it this summer, and has 1 league title, 2 CL titles, and a few Supercups, Club World Championships, and Supercopa tossed in. Not sure how that is in any way comparable to City.
100 million gets you McGuire. Sooo what’s your point exactly list all the achievements manu got. I’ll wait.

Madrid got a league title and two CL trophies. The rest is irrelevant.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
100 million gets you McGuire. Sooo what’s your point exactly list all the achievements manu got. I’ll wait.

Madrid got a league title and two CL trophies. The rest is irrelevant.
Right, because it's not like you have been critical of Maguire going for £80 million. Now that it fits your argument it's the benchmark for spending. :laugh:

Manchester United hasn't won shit, that's the point they have been a disaster. Are you seriously arguing that the players they have bought are of equal quality to the ones City have bought? On paper, that the squads are about even and the only difference has been managerial brilliance?

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Right, because it's not like you have been critical of Maguire going for £80 million. Now that it fits your argument it's the benchmark for spending. :laugh:

Manchester United hasn't won ****, that's the point they have been a disaster. Are you seriously arguing that the players they have bought are of equal quality to the ones City have bought? On paper, that the squads are about even and the only difference has been managerial brilliance?
That’s not the point I’m making.... spending millions doesn’t get you a trophy. Thats my point.

Again you’re lost. Manu have bought and bought poorly so no trophies. City with a good manager are buying the right players and winning with style. So it’s an incredible achievement. Anytime you win back to back leagues it’s impressive.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Agreed.

Not to say he isn't a brilliant manager though.

I still think Klopp's tenure has been more impressive. Conte did miracle work for that Chelsea side too that won like 15 straight games.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That’s not the point I’m making.... spending millions doesn’t get you a trophy. Thats my point.

Again you’re lost. Manu have bought and bought poorly so no trophies. City with a good manager are buying the right players and winning with style. So it’s an incredible achievement. Anytime you win back to back leagues it’s impressive.
If only you could credit Pep for all these transfer decisions...except you can't since City has a DoF and Chief Scout who are the main guys behind their transfers. I'm sure as the head coach Pep is involved in discussions and helps push for the type of players he wants, but he isn't doing this himself any more than the revolving door of manager's at ManU are buying their own players.

Pep is a great manager, but he's so far failed to translate domestic success to Europe with a super squad at his disposal. He has the most expensive squad in the world and has a higher net and gross transfer spend since arriving there than any other club in the world. Domestic success is the minimum expectation, and if that's all he achieves he'll eventually be run out of the club and his legacy there will be domestic success but overall failure.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Firmino starts and finishes it. He wasn't waiting on Salah that time he took it! Beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad