PK Subban - what went wrong and can he recover?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
9M that comes off in two years? No big deal.

He was the wrong choice for a young team because he needs stability, he doesn't provide it. Not that Nashville was gonna trade him but Ekholm was the type of player we should have traded for - efficient, simple game that insulates younger D.

That being said for Santini, Davies and a 2nd, you do that deal everyday.

Reactions: Fixxer

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Not that hard to understand. He has declined, he joined a horrible team, was put with a horrible partner, and was used as a top pairing guy. If you play a lot of minutes with a bad partner on a bad team, you accumulate lots of negative value.

So no, he’s not the worst dman in the league. If you swap him and, say, Kevin Shattenkirk in his role last year, you think his advanced stats look bad?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Thinks he is a rockstar. Hooked up with a hot blonde and his head is everywhere else but on the ice. The league is too good and there are too many players who bring it every game for anyone to be anything but their best. He has the athletic ability and skill to be a dominant player in the league but he looks like he's more interested in off ice curricular activities at this point in his life. At his age he's running out of time. If he doesn't refocus on the game this year he'll be out of the league soon. I wonder if he even cares though, seems he's more interested hanging out with celebrities.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
All joking aside, it might well be she is far more than most of us imagine. Tiger had a lapse while he was dating her as well. Then again, the way she looks, who in their right mind would NOT have other things on their mind if they were fortunate enough to walk beside her.

I mean, every girlfriend/wife that is dating a hockey player is normally very attractive. Personally, I don't think Vonn is anything special. Far more attractive girlfriends/wives out there.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Some real hot takes in this thread.

Subban has declined on the ice but he's one of few hockey players with a shred of personality, let him do his thing. I don't think there is a correlation between Instagram activity and on-ice performance.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Subban looks like he is in pain when he skates. He always had a somewhat strange looking stride but it is showing much more now. He looks very clunky. I was never a big fan of his style of play, but he does have one hell of a slap shot.

Reactions: Fixxer

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Thinks he is a rockstar. Hooked up with a hot blonde and his head is everywhere else but on the ice. The league is too good and there are too many players who bring it every game for anyone to be anything but their best. He has the athletic ability and skill to be a dominant player in the league but he looks like he's more interested in off ice curricular activities at this point in his life. At his age he's running out of time. If he doesn't refocus on the game this year he'll be out of the league soon. I wonder if he even cares though, seems he's more interested hanging out with celebrities.
Yeah that’s probably it. Not that injuries have caused him to decline and he was traded to an awful team.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
At this point in his career I think he needs to be in a reduced role which is hard in New Jersey since they don’t have good defence. If used in a more sheltered role he could have a bounce back

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not that hard to understand. He has declined, he joined a horrible team, was put with a horrible partner, and was used as a top pairing guy. If you play a lot of minutes with a bad partner on a bad team, you accumulate lots of negative value.

So no, he’s not the worst dman in the league. If you swap him and, say, Kevin Shattenkirk in his role last year, you think his advanced stats look bad?

I think Subban would look awful on 31 out of 31 teams. His problems were really obvious. Everything about his skating is worse - top speed, acceleration, turns. He had to be easier to beat than even Shattenkirk, and not quick enough in any part of the ice. He's always overrelied on skating pucks and now that he can't do that anymore his game is sub-replacement.

I think this is mostly wrong. He does not have that much athletic ability at this stage of his career. He trains everyday with his wife, you can watch him train on youtube. Maybe he could find a way to put more work in but I'm not seeing a lot of easy gains there.

HockeySniper

May 13, 2018
Who cares he’s annoying. But if he would actually focus on hockey and not himself then yes he could recover

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
And you were wrong.

How? Even back then I was saying that his skating wasn't good in terms of speed. For some reason people thought he was "fast" because of his edgework. Speed helps you out defensively to cover for mistakes, edgework helps you out with zone entries/beating people 1 on 1 (on the PP for example). Subban has always had great edgework, not speed. That's why I found it funny whenever he started doing his pirouettes in the o-zone, whenever he got caught he would easily get burned. He never had the speed to recover defensively.

He was also always terrible at defending against bigger players, his board game was garbage if he couldn't overpower forwards.

Those were good times tho, i remember you guys defending both Subban and Galchenyuk :laugh:. Good thing they're gone huh?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Subban is the Roy Jones Jr of hockey although he was never truly elite like Jones was. The point, once Jones lost his speed his goose was cooked as he was a very fundamentally flawed boxer. Same type thing with Subban.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think Subban would look awful on 31 out of 31 teams. His problems were really obvious. Everything about his skating is worse - top speed, acceleration, turns. He had to be easier to beat than even Shattenkirk, and not quick enough in any part of the ice. He's always overrelied on skating pucks and now that he can't do that anymore his game is sub-replacement.
Playing defense wasn’t even close to his biggest issue last season — not even close. He was mostly fine defensively, in fact. It was that his offense cratered. I think it’s pretty stupid to suggest he would look bad playing sheltered minutes on an elite team. Very very stupid.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His back is f***ed. That's all it is. He was still his usual Norris caliber self. Then he injured his back and his play tanked right after that

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad