PK Subban - what went wrong and can he recover?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Good news for Devils is that there is only 2 years to suffer.

I would only play him in power play and try to forget the cap hit.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Subban made a poor decision to bulk up and as a result lost his straight away speed. In junior and during his first several years in the NHL, he was a dynamic skater who could avoid the first forechecker and with his superior skating ability was able to easily gain entry into the offensive zone. He was dynamic player who could control the flow of play. Then he bulked up and lost one of his greatest assets: on ice speed. It was apparent to any watching that he was quickly regressing to the his now almost immobile self. It was laughable that so many fans blamed coaching from holding him back. Frankly, Montreal traded him almost two years too late.
This is the correct answer. "What motivates me? I want to be the strongest man on the ice!" Turns out, that's not all that useful.

Reactions: The Marsh King

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
He was overrated during his time him MTL. He was good but IMO not an elite D. Anyway, it looks like he has lost a step and doesn’t have the overall game to compensate.

This is not true. He was very good on the ice for us and this during a time when we also had Markov on the back end to compare at the same time. He also won the Norris and was well deserved. Furthermore, you don't trade Weber for Subban one for one if he was actually not as good as he was.

After seeing his more recent games he has definitely lost a stride somewhere in his play.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
This is not true. He was very good on the ice for us and this during a time when we also had Markov on the back end to compare at the same time. He also won the Norris and was well deserved. Furthermore, you don't trade Weber for Subban one for one if he was actually not as good as he was.

After seeing his more recent games he has definitely lost a stride somewhere in his play.

He was very good in MTL but I think he was overrated. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm sure next season he will bounce back due to his heavy explosive training + diet, he looks completely changed physically.
This is exactly what I am hoping, as a Devils fan. I think a fire just needed to be lit and to get some renewed commitment to the training required to excel in the NHL.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's likely going to the expansion draft. I can't say whether or not he'll be taken, but if NJ gives up draft picks then I think it'll more than be likely.

I think there's a chance if he's brought into the right offensive system, but the biggest issue in his game is discipline.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
He was overrated during his time him MTL. He was good but IMO not an elite D. Anyway, it looks like he has lost a step and doesn’t have the overall game to compensate.

How can you possibly say Subban wasn't elite?

Actually let me rephrase that, what's your definition of elite? Is being a top 5 Dman in the NHL not elite? Top 10? Because that's where Subban hovered for a couple years.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Subban made a poor decision to bulk up and as a result lost his straight away speed. In junior and during his first several years in the NHL, he was a dynamic skater who could avoid the first forechecker and with his superior skating ability was able to easily gain entry into the offensive zone. He was dynamic player who could control the flow of play. Then he bulked up and lost one of his greatest assets: on ice speed. It was apparent to any watching that he was quickly regressing to the his now almost immobile self. It was laughable that so many fans blamed coaching from holding him back. Frankly, Montreal traded him almost two years too late.

It was summer 2014 or 2015 when he jumped from like 190-200lbs up to 220-230lbs. Ontop of being a really dumb move to sacrifice agility and speed for upper body (Habs had some physical series' with Bruins and he wanted to up his weight class to match Lucic seems like). I think that's when he neck & back problems started. He must've overdid it at the gym. 2 years later in Nashville when he's starting to push up to 30 years old he has to start missing time because of these back problems, not something that can really be fixed at this point although I hope there's no chronic pain issues that will effect his lifestyle.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Bulking up is absolutely part of the problem imo. He lost his agility.

Age is also a factor. PK has always been a "jet setter" so to speak and always got away with burning the candle at both ends because he's such a freak of nature physically. But it eventually caught up with him and his body can't keep up anymore - especially not with the extra weight and muscles.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
How can you possibly say Subban wasn't elite?

Actually let me rephrase that, what's your definition of elite? Is being a top 5 Dman in the NHL not elite? Top 10? Because that's where Subban hovered for a couple years.

I think Subban was very good and put up good offensive numbers but was not at the level of Doughty, Buff, Letang and others. He was a star in MTL but IMO there were flaws in his game that was over looked because of his flare. Just my opinion.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This is the correct answer. "What motivates me? I want to be the strongest man on the ice!"

More like "I want to be the most popular player on the ice". Subban hasn't been slowed down by injuries or age. He's younger AND healthier than Weber.

He's been slowly declining because of a dwindling interest in playing competitive hockey and an increased interest in growing his brand outside of the game, mingling with stars and personalities, Instagraming his love life, extracurricular events, hosting standup comedy shows, fashion shows, NHL quiz, and so on.

He is transitioning from athlete to entertainer and influencer. It's his right to do so if that's what makes him happy. But as a hockey player, he brings little value outside a superstar aura (something NJ apparently valued, since his first appearance there was completely ridiculous and looked like a WWE event). His antics are almost certainly distracting some teammates wherever he goes.

Some people are just angry or confused because it doesn't fit the narrative that he is just a non-robotic player and the Habs made a mistake trading him. As if there weren't other ongoing and spontaneous players out there. Subban was an excellent player on the ice but unfortunately, his ego started growing out of proportion his last season in Montreal. Management and coaching determined that it was only going to get worse and luckily, they were right and were able to get a talented player who might be 3 years older but at least, is a consummate leader and professional. He's not "injured". You could see all this coming 5 years ago if you paid attention.

As for the answer to the question? Of course he can recover. But that would suppose he becomes a full time athlete once again. I doubt it's oing to happen and time is kinda running out for him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
No wonder he lost his legs
He lost his legs long before his current dalliance and that loss was evident to anyone looking through the hype. Here are some of my posts in 2014 for which I received universal scorn:

Jan 16, 2014. Subban, forsaking quickness for bulk, has lost the game changing, puck transporting skills that he evidenced in junior hockey and the earlier part of his NHL career. Subban is no longer able to evade the first forechecker which causes him to endlessly curl back or to use the flip pass to escape pressure. His lack of straight line speed also severely limits his recovery ability which causes him to gamble at the offensive blue line (diving, etc.) because he knows he cannot compete in a foot race. Subban still brings a lot to the table: strength on his skates, a physical presence, a weapon on the power play, great vision on the ice, an intimidating defensive presence and, probably most importantly, leadership. Those who think that somehow coaching is holding Subban back offensively, are blind to what Subban has become. And what he is now able to accomplish.

Jan 7, 2014
As I pointed out earlier, I think a lot of Montreal fans will be disappointed by Subban's inability to dominate on the 'bigger ice'. His skating ability is much more suited to NHL sized arenas where he can use his great strength on his skates and his edge skating to maneuver in and out of trouble. I think Subban will be much less effective in open ice where speed is at a premium. His straight line and recovery speed is only mediocre and I fear that this limitation will be exploited by elite skaters who will have that extra 15 feet to use to their advantage. Subban, if used properly, can be a valuable player. But those who expect him to be Canada's shut down defenceman or Canada's main puck transporter are going to be disappointed.

FEB 28, 2014 Montreal fans should open their eyes and see the reality and not the hype and sizzle: Subban's skating is nowhere near what is needed to be considered an elite puck transporter. Watch and see how often he can beat the first forechecker or create speed through the neutral ice. His skating style is awkward and inefficient. He has many excellent qualities, but being an elite puck transporter is not one of them. Signing him to a mega long term contract would be a mistake.
While agree with your assessment of Duchene, who is an elite skater built for the big ice, you are woefully wrong about Subban's ability. While there are many great aspects to Subban's game: on ice vision, tremendous shot, strength on his skates, great first pass, he lacks straight line speed. He is a clumsy, inefficient skater who's limitations will be exposed by the elite teams at this tournament. He's the 8th defenceman for a reason: his game does not translate well to the big ice.

April 2014
The excuses to pile on: he's injured; he's unhappy with his contract; the coaches misuse him, etc. The reality is, Subban is horribly overrated. Therrien, is doing nothing different than Babcock did with Subban at the Olympics. The shorthanded goal that Tampa Bay scored against the Canadiens is a microcosm of Subban's limitations. He lacks elite speed and the team has no one who can transport the puck consistently into the offensive zone. This is the task that Subban is supposedly great at. The great skating puck transporter. The truth is he can't do it. It has nothing to do with coaching. Without that ability , the team is reduced to a dump and chase play or trying to execute 'cute' entry plays at the blue line. At Tampa Bay, the 'cuteness' didn't work. And watching Subban try to catch Johnson with his clunking skating stride was pathetic. Make no mistake about it, Subban is a good player, but he is not the superstar that so many fans think. What you see this year is what you will get from Subban from hereon. The limitations in his skating will never allow him to be the franchise type player that can control the play in all three zones of the ice. Changing coaches will not make him faster. I , for one, would be very wary in paying him the lofty amounts he is asking for. I will make this prediction: if Montreal does in fact make him one of the highest paid players in the NHL, it will not take very long for the ever loyal Montreal fans to start booing Subban like he is treated in other arenas.
March 2014 I never said that Subban was a poor skater, only that this talk about his being this great, elite puck transporting defenceman is somewhat misguided. Subban has many skating strengths, lateral skating ability, edge skating and strength on his skates, but he lacks straight line speed which limit his puck transporting ability and recovery speed. Its all a function of a wide, clunky and inefficient skating stride. Unless he winds up around the net he has no chance of beating the first forechecker. And others teams know it. They attack Subban, they have increasingly little respect for his skating speed. As a result, Subban, on most occasions is forced to turn back or weakly and unproductively, just flip the puck out into the neutral ice zone. Fans complain that he overhandles the puck. The reason he does that is can't beat players with his speed and he is forced to use head and hand fakes from largely a stationary position thus exposing the puck. There was a reason Team Canada was hesitant to choose him in the first place and was reluctant to play him after he was selected. The limitations in his skating would have made him a liability. But of course the guys on this and other sites ( the 14 year olds and insurance salesmen) know more than the best coaches in Canada. Subban is an entertaining and controversial player, who I'm afraid is far more sizzle than substance. I for one would be very hesitant to make him one of the highest paid players in the game. He's just not worth it.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Holy shit PK Subban is already 31 years old? damn time sure flies. I still remember the Habs drafting him in the second round seems like it was only a short few years ago too. I think PK should bounce back if hes reverted back to his old physical form.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
That will help, no doubt. But just based on my personal experience and on my personal opinion when you get older you have to adapt and play smarter instead of harder. PK's game is flashy. He tries to do a lot by himself, tries to beat guys 1 on 1, relies on athleticism a lot etc. As you get older you can get caught chasing the play playing this way. He needs to look at what guys like Markov, Lidstrom, Bourque, Chara etc were doing on the ice in their 30s. They weren't flashy, they relied on sound positioning, anticipated the game, used their teammates etc. Try to let the game come to you a bit more. Make simple, solid plays. Guys who are excellent at this seem to almost slow the game down. I think that's where he needs to go, personally.
I'd add Duncan Keith to your list. It amazes me how well he defends without relying on athletic ability. So smart.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think he could still be pretty good if he re-dedicated himself to hockey and but it seems like he has aspirations beyond hockey and he doesn't really mind playing below expectations. He's already got paid and looking towards his post-playing career.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
More like "I want to be the most popular player on the ice". Subban hasn't been slowed down by injuries or age. He's younger AND healthier than Weber.

He's been slowly declining because of a dwindling interest in playing competitive hockey and an increased interest in growing his brand outside of the game, mingling with stars and personalities, Instagraming his love life, extracurricular events, hosting standup comedy shows, fashion shows, NHL quiz, and so on.

He is transitioning from athlete to entertainer and influencer. It's his right to do so if that's what makes him happy. But as a hockey player, he brings little value outside a superstar aura (something NJ apparently valued, since his first appearance there was completely ridiculous and looked like a WWE event). His antics are almost certainly distracting some teammates wherever he goes.

Some people are just angry or confused because it doesn't fit the narrative that he is just a non-robotic player and the Habs made a mistake trading him. As if there weren't other ongoing and spontaneous players out there. Subban was an excellent player on the ice but unfortunately, his ego started growing out of proportion his last season in Montreal. Management and coaching determined that it was only going to get worse and luckily, they were right and were able to get a talented player who might be 3 years older but at least, is a consummate leader and professional. He's not "injured". You could see all this coming 5 years ago if you paid attention.

As for the answer to the question? Of course he can recover. But that would suppose he becomes a full time athlete once again. I doubt it's oing to happen and time is kinda running out for him.

This post right here summarizes my feelings. I might copy and paste it to the Devils board if he has another awful year and a big defenders vs detractors argument ensues. Lots of people on there kept saying he was good in the locker room. Put me in as someone who does not want Hughes, Hischier, and the other young kids learning how to abuse Instagram to sell products or get more famous. I want them to be good hockey players and earn their money. PK Subban can do all the other things in life that he wants, but he is still being paid 9 million a year by the New Jersey Devils and I'd like to see some professionalism in him to earn that money.

Fame is fickle though, and his social media presence is starting to backfire as lots of fans post some pretty nasty comments on Insta and FB. Hoping that lights a fire onto him and he has a renaissance season.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
He looks like he had cement skates right now and didnt even look NHL caliber last season when I saw him play.

9M a year... poor Devils fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad