Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part X (Rossi explains it all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Evgeni Malkin couldn't make Sutter looked competent offensively, but hey, Beau Bennett, go earn your Hall of Fame induction!

Sutter and Bennett have very different skill sets. Nothing in Sutter's game indicates he'd perform well if expected to sustain offense and create chances in the top 6. He scores off the rush every 5 games or so, that's about it.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
sutter's skillset involves 3 good rushes a month, a great surname, and inspiring infinite patience by the people in charge...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Hilarious listening to Steiggy on with Savran.

Completely defended Adams, saying there was no way he could have avoided that fight.

Steiggy: "Well, Craig Adams trying to prove he's Craig Adams, because he hasn't been getting that opportunity lately"

Steiggy: "Ryan Reaves had the shift of the game"

Not a single mention of Scuderi during Ryan Reaves' shift of course.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Hilarious listening to Steiggy on with Savran.

Completely defended Adams, saying there was no way he could have avoided that fight.

Steiggy: "Well, Craig Adams trying to prove he's Craig Adams, because he hasn't been getting that opportunity lately"

Steiggy: "Ryan Reaves had the shift of the game"

Not a single mention of Scuderi during Ryan Reaves' shift of course.

No way he could have avoided the fight? What? He could have not dropped the gloves and told Ott to **** off. Steiggy gonna Steiggy.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
No way he could have avoided the fight? What? He could have not dropped the gloves and told Ott to **** off. Steiggy gonna Steiggy.

Seriously. Skate away. Unless the refs are giving Ott an instigator you're not trying to avoid the fight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're correct. He's played 41 regular season games and the second round of the playoffs starts Saturday. That's a lot of games for a player that has never had an 82 game season before. He played 64 + some international games last year but this year he's had a lot more ice time.

For a team that is so hesitant to play young players I can't see them willing to give any ice time to a player that has no NA experience (other than pre-season).

I hope I'm wrong because he's a massive upgrade over Adams, but I just don't see them doing it. Kreider was the last player that I can think of that played his first games in the playoffs, but he didn't come over from Europe.

You're not wrong about how THEY'LL look at it.

Now, that said, give me 12 forwards in the organization right now you'd play before Sundqvist. I can't think of 9.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Only this organization would throw a rookie without one regular na gamed played into the playoffs to start their career. Not to mention how it would burn off a year on the elc as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Only this organization would throw a rookie without one regular na gamed played into the playoffs to start their career. Not to mention how it would burn off a year on the elc as well.

Kapanen burns a year. Sundqvist doesn't. His clock is ticking this year no matter where he plays.

Oh, and the last time a rookie started into the playoffs before he'd played a NHL game, it was Chris Kreider of the Rangers, who I believe are a NHL organization.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Kapanen burns a year. Sundqvist doesn't. His clock is ticking this year no matter where he plays.

Oh, and the last time a rookie started into the playoffs before he'd played a NHL game, it was Chris Kreider of the Rangers, who I believe are a NHL organization.

Why wouldn't Sundqvist burn a year off of his ELC?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Why wouldn't Sundqvist burn a year off of his ELC?

Don't know the CBA rules (maybe age when the deal was signed?), but it's been reported everywhere. The first year of his deal is burned this year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kreider wasnt coming straight from Europe though.

That's no what you posted. You posted that only the Pens would throw a rookie right into the playoffs for his first game. This clearly was false.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Again, the end point is if this teams only hope lies with a kid that has not played one real minute of na hockey, they have problems. But I guess it is a microcosm of everything wrong with the team.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Again, the end point is if this teams only hope lies with a kid that has not played one real minute of na hockey, they have problems. But I guess it is a microcosm of everything wrong with the team.

Nobody disagrees with that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's also kind of weird to praise their management when Cheveldayoff, presiding over a mediocrity, only made his first player for player trades this season. So I guess you can say they aren't making moronic because they aren't making decisions. Except they have stuck with Pavelec even though he's really bad (like he should be in the AHL). So sure, they're a wonderful organization with smart management, if you leave out the fact that they put minimal effort/risk into improving the team and handicapped themselves with a bad goalie.

When you're based in Winnipeg, trades and FA acquisitions are clearly more complicated than anywhere else. Despite this, the team has improved slowly but surely over the course of Cheveldayoff's tenure by retaining key pieces and drafting and developing well.

You can't argue with the product they're putting on the ice right now without the benefit of generational talents.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When you're based in Winnipeg, trades and FA acquisitions are clearly more complicated than anywhere else. Despite this, the team has improved slowly but surely over the course of Cheveldayoff's tenure by retaining key pieces and drafting and developing well.

You can't argue with the product they're putting on the ice right now without the benefit of generational talents.

They also have a coach who's better than anyone Sid and Geno have had (at least since June 2009).

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
You're not wrong about how THEY'LL look at it.

Now, that said, give me 12 forwards in the organization right now you'd play before Sundqvist. I can't think of 9.

I think he would instantly be our best option at 3C, he's been that good for Skellefteå this year. But I'm trying to be realistic here. My biggest fear with them actually playing him is that if heaven forbid he takes more than a couple games to adjust, the entire organization will sour on him like they did with Bennett/Despres.

I don't think he's going to make enough difference this year that it's worth playing him in the playoffs anyway. Let him practice with the team and then get another full training camp/preseason in before he gets a regular role with the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And they are going to lose multiple players this off season and have to throw what will probably be a 7 million dollar contract at Buff to retain him.

The product they're putting on the ice right now is probably going to get knocked out of the playoff hunt by the LA Kings.

But, yeah I wish we had a team like the Jets!

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah you're stretching there. I get it, Canada getting a team back was the feel good story, but that doesn't make the team any better.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

I don't disagree that they've done a fair job of icing a competitive team (this year - previously they basically tread water) despite the market's limitations. The point is that they're a flawed organization like pretty much any other and the relative success of their plans (in one of four seasons so far and with an uncertain future) doesn't necessarily prove them sound.

I mean if you're saying "Hey, that perennial bubble team that usually finishes out of the playoffs but is a little better and more exciting this year despite significant market disadvantages sure is an organization I envy," you're kind of in a weird place.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins...viewpenguins+(Penguins+Stories)#axzz3VSO11LNP

Why did Adams agree to the fight? He made the decision primarily because the game was getting nasty, and Adams believed fighting at that point would stop the bigger, more physical Blues from taking liberties with some of the Penguins stars.

St. Louis defenseman Barret Jackman had words with center Sidney Crosby earlier in the period.

“They were looking for one (a fight),” Adams said. “There were some things going on. I thought it was best to get one out of the way and let everything settle back down, get back to play hockey. Because we were playing well."

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino