Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part X (Rossi explains it all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
The Beautiful Game

Came across this article from Igor Larionov this morning. It touches on his days on the Red Army teams and Detroit as well as some commentary on today's game too.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/miracle-on-ice-hockey-russia/

An excerpt

The problem is more philosophical and starts way before players get to the NHL. It’s easier to destroy than to create. As a coach, it’s easier to tell your players to suffocate the opposing team and not turn the puck over. There are still players whose imagination and creativity capture the Soviet spirit — Johnny Gaudreau in Calgary, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in Chicago just to name a few. However, they are becoming exceptions to the rule. Many young players who are intelligent and can see the game four moves ahead are not valued. They’re told “simple, simple, simple.â€

That mentality is kind of boring. Nobody wants to get fired. Nobody wants to get sent down to the minors. If you look at the coaches in Juniors and minor league hockey, many of them were not skill players. It’s a lot of former enforcers and grinders who take these coaching jobs. Naturally, they tell their players to be just like them. Their players are 17, 18 years old — younger than I was when I joined the Red Army team. Say what you want about the Whiplash mentality (or the Soviet mentality), but if coaches are going to push kids at that age, why are they pushing them to play a simple game? Why aren’t coaches pushing them to create a masterpiece?

We lose a lot of Pavel Datsyuks to the closed-minded nature of the AHL and NHL. I remember Datsyuk made a couple turnovers in a game when he first came to Detroit at age 23. Players on the team like Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and myself had to tell him, “Pavel, just keep doing what you’re doing.†Thankfully, Scotty Bowman had the wisdom to see his potential. If he was on a different team with a different coach who did not appreciate that kind of unique skill, Datsyuk might have been out of the league. He would be playing in the KHL tonight.

It's sure easy to draw parallels to the Pens with regards to the quotes above, recommend the full read though.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Came across this article from Igor Larionov this morning. It touches on his days on the Red Army teams and Detroit as well as some commentary on today's game too.

An excerpt

It's sure easy to draw parallels to the Pens with regards to the quotes above, recommend the full read though.

That's great. Add in a touch of "by not enforcing the rules, the NHL provides no incentive to bring out a player's creativity" and it's perfectly sum up that "What's wrong with the NHL thread" that was up here recently.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Wyshynski on 93.7 this morning.

Re: Jordan Staal. ''This is nothing more than the Pens organization having a little fun with the Trib.''

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am assuming this stems from the Madden piece about Loney yesterday?

I wholeheartedly agree... the NHL and AHL has catered to the worse quality of coaches and GMs in all of pro sports. They are mostly trying to play a neanderthal game in what should be the most skilled and entertaining sport of all of them.

Using ex players as coaches and GMs is one of the greatly idiotic moves pro sports teams make. Typically you dont find that model in many other fields. Most militaries train officers from an elite strategic pool of talent from a young age to become such leaders. CEOs and other corporate leaders rarely work their way up from a mailroom.

As it is, the coaches are overconservative and the GMs support that. It really does make it easier for bad coaching and GM moves to go unnoticed

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Wyshynski on 93.7 this morning.

Re: Jordan Staal. ''This is nothing more than the Pens organization having a little fun with the Trib.''

The whole Staal situation just reeks of Rossi going Full Rossi again.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What an awesome piece by Larionov. THAT is the kind of mind I'd love to see shaping the game now and in the future. Thanks for posting that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

An excerpt

I agree completely with Larionov. Maybe if more people in hockey saw the game like him, the actual entertainment value of the games would be much higher. Instead, a lot of nights the NHL is unwatchable because of how "defensive systems" and clutching and grabbing has taken over the game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
B-oYxrvVIAEj3O3.png

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That's brilliant. They should do another chart that shows the other 5 with and without Kunitz. :sarcasm:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Someone put this in the first post.

If I was at home not work I would have put rossi's face on it.

clarissaexplainsitall.png

May 10, 2010
Are they seriously bragging about them being braindead enough to ride something dysfunctional for months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad