Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part X (Rossi explains it all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
They've also been terrible outside of every year except the one they made the playoffs as the Thrashers and were promptly swept. They have literally never won a playoff game and half of the team has been on the Thrashers / Jets since Chicago's first cup.

How anybody can think Winnipeg is a better team than us is beyond me. Not to mention they still aren't even in a shoe in for the playoffs.

Yeah, and our giant lead in the standings makes us a shoe in though, right?

How long has their current administration been in place? With the Kane trade and the assets they picked up for him, that team is going to be set for a good long while when you add to what they already have. Talking about Atlanta and the mess Wadell left and applying it to the current Jets team is disingenuous at best. I get people being stubborn in trying to make a point, but Jesus don't be insulting.

Again, another fan stuck on the idea that Crosby Malkin and Letang trumps all. Go up and down that Jets lineup and anyone with half a brain would replace 3/4 of our roster with theirs. A bunch of 6'5" giants with youth, speed AND skill.

Oh, and their plan for now AND the future is a lot more sound than ours. You know exactly what it is they're trying to build. Imagine when Scheifele and Trouba are more polished products, then come to me and tell me how much better the Penguins are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, and our giant lead in the standings makes us a shoe in though, right?

How long has their current administration been in place? With the Kane trade and the assets they picked up for him, that team is going to be set for a good long while when you add to what they already have. Talking about Atlanta and the mess Wadell left and applying it to the current Jets team is disingenuous at best. I get people being stubborn in trying to make a point, but Jesus don't be insulting.

Again, another fan stuck on the idea that Crosby Malkin and Letang trumps all. Go up and down that Jets lineup and anyone with half a brain would replace 3/4 of our roster with theirs. A bunch of 6'5" giants with youth, speed AND skill.

Oh, and their plan for now AND the future is a lot more sound than ours. You know exactly what it is they're trying to build. Imagine when Scheifele and Trouba are more polished products, then come to me and tell me how much better the Penguins are.

I'm sure the Jets will look great when Stafford and Frolik both walk this off season, and they are forced to either trade Buff or Ladd or pay them both in the six million range.

Our team was won the cup when we were supposed to when our stars were on ELCs. People don't seem to comprehend that. Watch what happens to Chicago. Do you think it is odd that the Bruins are near playoff misses this year?

Shero did a lot of things wrong, but the way our cap has been managed we have always been able to employ a team that is at least in contention to get to the conference finals. The Jets are not a model franchise. I'm glad they have big bodies and are strong. Let's see what they actually do in the playoffs against a team as big as them like the Blues or a team more skilled than them like the Hawks. Not to mention their defense is atrocious and their goaltending has been absolute **** for years.

Oddly enough our team is set up this off season to have a cap cushion with many of our main assets signed. JR made some crafty moves to bring in players like Hornqvist and Perron who are not super skilled but perfect third wheels. Let's see how he takes advantage of cap strapped teams in the off season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Captain Obvious tells us Kunitz sucks. Groundbreaking.

Then suggests a guy who got schooled by AHLers in the preseason. Playoffs with real NHLers... preseason with AHLers.... bout the same.

Sorry lacks experience.

DK is a joke. And, yes, for him to mention Downie and Kapanen as the best roster and non-roster options was comical.

Winnik or Sundqvist. Anything else is a ******* waste.

BTW, thanks for your input on Sundqvist the other day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Is Sundqvist really that ready to step in and be effective? I keep hearing good things about him, and the type of game he plays, but I feel like it might just be fans starving for the next big thing with regard to a prospect.

I'd love to have him hop over and be an immediate impact player, but I don't know enough about him to really put a lot of faith in that.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Is Sundqvist really that ready to step in and be effective? I keep hearing good things about him, and the type of game he plays, but I feel like it might just be fans starving for the next big thing with regard to a prospect.

I'd love to have him hop over and be an immediate impact player, but I don't know enough about him to really put a lot of faith in that.

People are mentioning Kapanen's name. That's all you really need to know. Sundqvist could at least be a 4C though I think. He actually looked like he could be an NHL in the preseason. It was refreshing to see from a forward prospect.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think he's able to be the next "big" thing in that he'll be able to be effective in the top 6 quickly barring chemistry with our stars, but he looked very solid in the pre-season. And a 6'3" player is always nice with our bunch of average 6ft players.

Kapanen has a higher ceiling but he's not close to being ready for the NHL in the pre-season, Sundqvist looked ready, and could be a nice cheaper altermative for Sutter.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

By the time Sundqvist can come over, he will have played an entire season and a lot of hockey for what he is used to. We have a couple of want to be experts on skating around here that crap on BB skating, yet Sundqvist is a top six option with his skating? He's played a lot of wing, so I suppose anything is possible. I don't see it though. Not with this org.

It's impossible to guess anymore how prospects fit into this team. Sundqvist protects the puck well and is a really smart player that has an edge. How this team uses him, and how he ultimately ends up, who knows.

People are mentioning Kapanen's name. That's all you really need to know. Sundqvist could at least be a 4C though I think. He actually looked like he could be an NHL in the preseason. It was refreshing to see from a forward prospect.

The only people mentioning his name is DK. I think most people around here saw that he was intimidated by AHLers during the preseason. I doubt he will have some magic transformation when real NHLers are trying to imprint his face on the glass during the playoffs.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Is it actually feasible to play one of those guys in the playoffs even if they wanted to? I thought the roster/who you could dress or call up was locked within reason once the playoffs started.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm excited to see what Sundqvist's ceiling is, and how effective he can be. Sadly, it's the Penguins, so we'll probably never know until we trade him for Max Talbot a year or two from now.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I hope they do play Sundqvist in the playoffs.

I'v seen enough of Adams and BB, its time to give somebody else a try.

By the time that Skellefteå is knocked out of the SHL playoffs it is likely that there will only be 1-2 games left in the NHL season. I'm sure that they will bring him over to either the NHL or AHL, but I doubt he does more than practice with the team.

They're not going to throw a 21 year old that played a full season and playoffs in Sweden directly into the NHL playoffs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
By the time that Skellefteå is knocked out of the SHL playoffs it is likely that there will only be 1-2 games left in the NHL season. I'm sure that they will bring him over to either the NHL or AHL, but I doubt he does more than practice with the team.

They're not going to throw a 21 year old that played a full season and playoffs in Sweden directly into the NHL playoffs.

If i'm reading his teams website right hes only played 41 regular season games and 4 playoff games, that doesn't seem like that much, even for a young player like him.

I think MJ would love to bench BB and Adams right now, but he has to play them because they have no other options, maybe it wouldn't be Sundqvist playing, but i think it will be somebody other then Adams and BB unless something changes these last 9 games.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Winnik - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Comeau
Kunitz - Sutter - Downie
Spaling - Lapierre - Bennett

would be interesting. Depth spread around the lineup. Winnik looks weird penciled in there but it's more about the fit with Crosby as we know.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I just don't want to see either of them play, neither of them are producing any kind of offense, and Adams PK isn't needed with Winnik in the lineup, i'd rather give somebody else a shot to see what they can do.

Bennett hasn't even gotten a shot to see what he can do.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
If i'm reading his teams website right hes only played 41 regular season games and 4 playoff games, that doesn't seem like that much, even for a young player like him.

I think MJ would love to bench BB and Adams right now, but he has to play them because they have no other options, maybe it wouldn't be Sundqvist playing, but i think it will be somebody other then Adams and BB unless something changes these last 9 games.

You're correct. He's played 41 regular season games and the second round of the playoffs starts Saturday. That's a lot of games for a player that has never had an 82 game season before. He played 64 + some international games last year but this year he's had a lot more ice time.

For a team that is so hesitant to play young players I can't see them willing to give any ice time to a player that has no NA experience (other than pre-season).

I hope I'm wrong because he's a massive upgrade over Adams, but I just don't see them doing it. Kreider was the last player that I can think of that played his first games in the playoffs, but he didn't come over from Europe.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Winnik - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Comeau
Kunitz - Sutter - Downie
Spaling - Lapierre - Bennett

would be interesting. Depth spread around the lineup. Winnik looks weird penciled in there but it's more about the fit with Crosby as we know.

Looked pretty darn good with Sid and Perron last night, that's for sure.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Looked pretty darn good with Sid and Perron last night, that's for sure.

Right, he looked good with Sid and Perron. He brings a skillset that compliments the combination of what Sid and Perron bring. Hornqvist brings everything that Winnik does to that line (and more). I don't think Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist is interchangeable with Winnik-Crosby-Perron. The former is KCD 2.0, the latter is PCH-lite.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Winnik seems to be getting comfortable (I think he looked like a body and nothing more at first) and that would be a big help. It's kind of silly to pencil him in with Crosby this early but I suppose why not try it. They're pretty lax on 'trying things' when they have an opportunity to do so right now.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You're correct. He's played 41 regular season games and the second round of the playoffs starts Saturday. That's a lot of games for a player that has never had an 82 game season before. He played 64 + some international games last year but this year he's had a lot more ice time.

For a team that is so hesitant to play young players I can't see them willing to give any ice time to a player that has no NA experience (other than pre-season).

I hope I'm wrong because he's a massive upgrade over Adams, but I just don't see them doing it. Kreider was the last player that I can think of that played his first games in the playoffs, but he didn't come over from Europe.

I believe Mackey's article about this, i do think they will try somebody else once the playoffs start, maybe it will be AHL players instead, but i do think there is a chance Sundqvist gets a chance to play with the pens.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I just don't want to see either of them play, neither of them are producing any kind of offense, and Adams PK isn't needed with Winnik in the lineup, i'd rather give somebody else a shot to see what they can do.

You mean Bennett can't produce offense with 8 minutes of ice time skating along the offensive dynamo's in Sutter, Adams, Lapierre, etc. All while being told to simplify his game and play a more grind it out style compared to what he's actually good at? Color me shocked.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You mean Bennett can't produce offense with 8 minutes of ice time skating along the offensive dynamo's in Sutter, Adams, Lapierre, etc. All while being told to simplify his game and play a more grind it out style compared to what he's actually good at? Color me shocked.

We both agree that BB isn't good in his role.

We need to find somebody who can fill that roll on the team, BB obviously isn't the answer.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Evgeni Malkin couldn't make Sutter looked competent offensively, but hey, Beau Bennett, go earn your Hall of Fame induction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille