Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone else think we're headed for another shutdown with the season? Covid is out of control right now and ravaging so many NHL teams. I know the NHL doesn't want to shutdown but how long are they gonna keep this up?

And moreover what do they do when it gets to the playoffs if a team gets like a quarter of their roster with positive tests? Yeah the vaccines are such that nobody is gonna die probably so that's good, but if a playoff team is losing 1/4th of its roster or more how do you play those series? Do you just delay the series indefinitely until teams are mostly healthy? Or just force them to call up who they can?

No way. Whether or not they should is a separate debate, but they're not going to shut down the league again.

This country decided the pandemic was over. They're not going to change course on that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No way. Whether or not they should is a separate debate, but they're not going to shut down the league again.

This country decided the pandemic was over. They're not going to change course on that.

I don't think they want to shut down either and they probably won't for the regular season. At best they'd do like a two week shutdown maybe to try and calm things down a bit, and then play on. I could also see them not going to the Olympics at this point.

But what do they do for the playoffs? It's well and good to delay/cancel games now, but disrupting the flow of playoff hockey would be a big deal. Imagine if get a situation like the Flames now in the playoffs where most of their team is on Covid protocol and their games are delayed. What do you do? Just delay them for weeks while other teams are still playing? Or force them to play with a mostly AHL lineup?

There's no good options here. The playoffs are gonna be a frigging mess.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Completely unrelated but somehow I just now realized the entire Penguins blueline has 4 goals.

That seems... bad. Particularly considering elements of the system this team runs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Completely unrelated but somehow I just now realized the entire Penguins blueline has 4 goals.

That seems... bad. Particularly considering elements of the system this team runs.

Ruh, Petts, Dumo and Marino all have zero idea how to shoot a puck.

Matheson has a fairly weak shot aswell. Letang is always going for tips, one of the best in the league at finding deflections.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Letang's one goal doesn't bother me. Like you said there is a method to his shooting that is intentional and actually leads directly to goals.

The rest, though... woof.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Lol at Canucks on the main boards. Apparently they want to improve their team while giving up shit like Pearson, Myers and Sutter to do so.

Literally the definition of choosing beggars.

A good start to improving that team is getting rid of Myers and Sutter, tbf.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lol at Canucks on the main boards. Apparently they want to improve their team while giving up shit like Pearson, Myers and Sutter to do so.

Literally the definition of choosing beggars.

I generally like Nucks fans better than most. But yeah trade threads are always a shitshow particularly after one team gets a new GM and think he's gonna magically turn all the bad players into good players. This honeymoon phase is the only time fans seem to take their FO's word at face value. So they truly believe JR when he told them "I only want young guys" and "I'm not trading any high picks."

OK then!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Feel like Kap definitely ends up in Vancouver lol.

Probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. And Sullivan doesn't seem to like him much or at least he sure seems to catch the only demotions on the team.

But I think there is actually some headroom with him as a player as opposed to like... the vast majority of this roster. So that would be unfortunate.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Let's drop the Kane talk until we see how the Canucks rumors pan out. Lots of players to like there: Miller, Boeser, and Horvat.

Miller for Rust
Miller for Zucker+ZAR/3rd?
Miller for Kapanen+Riikola

Boeser for any of the above
Boeser+Schenn for Marino+ZAR

Horvat+Schenn for Marino+Bleuger

Kapanen-Crosby-ERod
Jake-Horvat-Malkin
Zucker-Carter-Heinen
ZAR-DOC-McGinn

Horvat could be our insurance 2C if Malkin leaves.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens let JR have Allvin in a lateral move, JR returns the favour by losing value but getting “his guy” in a Kapanen for Boeser deal. Good Old Boys.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't realize RD was such a huge need for the Nucks. Don't see a deal there.

Then again it's JR.

I can't help but laugh a little bit that Vancouver is sort of languishing in the bottom third of the league, just blew up the FO and bench, had the roster put together by a guy that makes JR look like a savior in comparison and yet the majority of their fans "aren't really interested in anything on Pittsburgh's roster." Oh OK I didn't realize we were talking to a bunch of misunderstood Stanley Cup contenders, here. With a can't-miss core just waiting to break out.

Like I actually kinda get it -- I criticize this roster myself but good lord...

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only deal that makes any sort of sense to me is Kapanen and another forward (Heinen perhaps?) for Miller, but even then, I think that's kinda crappy value for the Canucks and I don't think Heinen has that much value.

The problem with making a trade between these two teams is that the Canucks have no depth, but the Penguins don't have enough high value pieces to pull off one of their better players. They need to make a Neal for Hornqvist and Spaling type trade, but I don't know who that "Spaling" would be for Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Andy99 and orby

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only deal that makes any sort of sense to me is Kapanen and another forward (Heinen perhaps?) for Miller, but even then, I think that's kinda crappy value for the Canucks and I don't think Heinen has that much value.

The problem with making a trade between these two teams is that the Canucks have no depth, but the Penguins don't have enough high value pieces to pull off one of their better players.

There would have to be a first and probably a tad more involved, yeah. And I just don't see Hex wanting to do that rn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad