Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Oh, those also came from his batshit crazy wife. I wasn't aware of those, though.

I don't take a single word that Anna Kane says seriously. She's so insane that freaking Evander got awarded custody of his daughter. She is absolutely unhinged.

Cool. I'll take the word of the 3 NHL locker rooms he's essentially been kicked out of already.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cool. I'll take the word of the 3 NHL locker rooms he's essentially been kicked out of already.

...okay?

Again, I've said multiple times that Kane is a piece of shit. No one is debating that point. Literally the post before yours was this:

Like, for example:

NHL's Evander Kane Claims Ex Faked Pregnancy, Wants Mental Exam
Evander Kane Claims His Wife Beat Him Multiple Times, Gets Restraining Order

I mean to put it bluntly, the two are perfect for each other because they're both massive pieces of shit :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Are they? The only thing I've read is that players were pissed that Boughner didn't discipline him and basically enabled him to do that stuff. I'd be much more willing to believe that Sullivan wouldn't let that slide and Kane would at least get in line with the egregious stuff.

Yes.

What do you mean "let slide"? The issue isn't that the coach was weak, it's that Kane isn't changing no matter what a coach does. The coach can either play him through his behaviour or bench him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why you would want to add a piece of shit to this team is beyond me. It's not like he's a top player in the league. He's a good top 6 winger, not worth putting up with all his baggage.

Because his talent level outweighs the downside I see with acquiring him.

I've made the argument multiple times, but I'll make it again here. Kane's an incredibly unique player that brings an element to this team that they severely lack, while he'll be coming with a significant discount in both cap hit and cost to acquire. The upside with acquiring him is massive. Kane is a piece of shit that has burned multiple bridges throughout his hockey career, but that is the only reason he can be acquired for a significant discount in the first place. I don't see any sort of reasonable risk with acquiring him that outweighs the benefit of getting Kane at $3.5 million for basically nothing.

Reactions: Rave7215

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh, those also came from his batshit crazy wife. I wasn't aware of those, though.

I don't take a single word that Anna Kane says seriously. She's so insane that freaking Evander got awarded custody of his daughter. She is absolutely unhinged.

Not all of them.

There were multiple assault allegations that didn't come from Anna, actually.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes.

What do you mean "let slide"? The issue isn't that the coach was weak, it's that Kane isn't changing no matter what a coach does. The coach can either play him through his behaviour or bench him.

Yes it absolutely is.

Again, look at what Kane did when Thornton was in San Jose and DeBoer was the coach. Teams can reign in Kane with a good leadership group and a strong coach for at least the short term.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes it absolutely is.

Again, look at what Kane did when Thornton was in San Jose and DeBoer was the coach. Teams can reign in Kane with a good leadership group and a strong coach for at least the short term.

Finish tied for 10th (with Vlasic) in Sharks playoff scoring in their one good run?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yeah, that's not something to take lightly - getting full custody over the mother. You REALLY have to be off your rocker for that to happen. Doesn't mean Kane doesn't have his own issues. I imagine he'll get into a structured settlement similar to what JMFJ had so my guess is that he will be looking to keep his NHL by whatever means necessary. There does come a point when intentions change. It's an odd behavioral trait - people keep thinking they can get out of it or fake their way through it or...whatever. It became a sociopathic head game. But that can end once you hit bottom. Like I've said, I've seen it happen and guys rebound.

The COVID card stuff is inexcusable. There's no way around that. He did and he got suspended. He served his time and now he's back. So I mean, what more do we want on that front? Are we mad at Kane because one doesn't feel the punishment was sufficient? Dude is in bankruptcy and just forfeited 1/4 his salary for the season. And from what I read, he went and got vaxxed so...I'm not sure what else people want there really?

And that is separate from the stuff that was posted in the article about him breaking rules and not being punished. Again, as Emp said, that's as much on the coach as anyone. I imagine wherever he goes there will be a pretty harsh discussion and set of expectations laid out for him Day 1, minute 1 before he even steps foot on the ice.

Emp - this was more of an addition to what you were say, not necessary a reply.

Tank, Forsberg, Miller or GTFO

I would think teams are looking at Vancouver waiting on that situation before someone moves on Kane. I see Kane as a Plan B for the teams that need that boost at 2LW.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Because his talent level outweighs the downside I see with acquiring him.

I've made the argument multiple times, but I'll make it again here. Kane's an incredibly unique player that brings an element to this team that they severely lack, while he'll be coming with a significant discount in both cap hit and cost to acquire. The upside with acquiring him is massive. Kane is a piece of shit that has burned multiple bridges throughout his hockey career, but that is the only reason he can be acquired for a significant discount in the first place. I don't see any sort of reasonable risk with acquiring him that outweighs the benefit of getting Kane at $3.5 million for basically nothing.

The most unique thing about Kane is how universally hated he is by ex-teammates.

The guy is a solid top 6 winger. To me, that's not worth the distraction no matter how cheap he can be acquired. You seem to blame a lot of his issues with his coaches not reigning him in, which is probably exactly how he sees it. It's not Crosby, Letang, Carter or Sullivan's job to babysit a teammate. He has had issues with 3 different franchises. At this point it is clear he is not going to change. He's had his chances and now he can ride the bus for the rest of his career or let some other sucker organization make it 4 bridges burnt.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not trying to read TOO much into this but him faking a vax card tells me he's the kind of person who feels like the rules aren't for him or at least are very much up for creative interpretation if he simply doesn't feel like following them.

Ya'll know I'm not exactly a big backer of NHL coaching but I think we could all see why that would be a big problem in organized professional sports.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The most unique thing about Kane is how universally hated he is by ex-teammates.

The guy is a solid top 6 winger.
To me, that's not worth the distraction no matter how cheap he can be acquired. You seem to blame a lot of his issues with his coaches not reigning him in, which is probably exactly how he sees it. It's not Crosby, Letang, Carter or Sullivan's job to babysit a teammate. He has had issues with 3 different franchises. At this point it is clear he is not going to change. He's had his chances and now he can ride the bus for the rest of his career or let some other sucker organization make it 4 bridges burnt.

How many players in the NHL have the combination of Kane's skillset with that size/physicality? It's only a handful.

You're making up strawman arguments by saying "you're blaming the coaches for his issues" or "you think he's going to change". No, I FULLY realize who Kane is. Again, I don't see any sort of risk from acquiring Kane that outweigh the potential gain from getting him. That doesn't mean there aren't risks there, that means they don't outweigh the potential benefit. This was my post on the last page:

I'm not going to pretend that Kane coming here will magically fix all of his problems, although I do think he'll be on his best behavior at first because he'll realize how delicate of a position he's in. But a team with a good leadership group and a disciplinary coach can get some value out of Kane for at least the short term. That's exactly what San Jose got out of him when they still had Thornton on the team and DeBoer as the head coach.

This isn't saying "Kane isn't a problem", this is saying that the benefits of having Kane on the ice will outweigh him being shitty at least for the short term.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The guy is a solid top 6 winger. To me, that's not worth the distraction no matter how cheap he can be acquired. You seem to blame a lot of his issues with his coaches not reigning him in, which is probably exactly how he sees it. It's not Crosby, Letang, Carter or Sullivan's job to babysit a teammate. He has had issues with 3 different franchises. At this point it is clear he is not going to change. He's had his chances and now he can ride the bus for the rest of his career or let some other sucker organization make it 4 bridges burnt.

What were the issues in Buffalo. I know Big Buff didn't like him and we know the issues with the Sharks. Outside of scraping with some nobody in Buffalo, I don't really recall anything happening there? I'm not saying it didn't though, just asking for the Buffalo side of things?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
It takes a special kind of terrible to earn the reputation Kane has earned.

I'm from Vancouver and I'm not kidding when I say that every single person I know who has interacted with him there has a negative story to tell.

The guy is a human tire fire and I sincerely hope the Pens don't acquire him.

EDIT: To be clear, this isn't just moral grandstanding - Kane is the type of guy who single-handedly drags down locker rooms. He's done it before (players on the record about him doing it in both Winnipeg and San Jose) and he'll do it again. It doesn't matter that our leadership gang is in the room, Kane will drag them all down.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
What were the issues in Buffalo. I know Big Buff didn't like him and we know the issues with the Sharks. Outside of scraping with some nobody in Buffalo, I don't really recall anything happening there? I'm not saying it didn't though, just asking for the Buffalo side of things?

A few assault allegations from women, missing practice because he was too hung over from going to the NBA all-star game. Pretty much the usual stuff.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not trying to read TOO much into this but him faking a vax card tells me he's the kind of person who feels like the rules aren't for him or at least are very much up for creative interpretation if he simply doesn't' feel like following them.

Ya'll know I'm not exactly a big backer of NHL coaching but I think we could all see why that would be a big problem in organized professional sports.

I think it points to an "agreeableness" character trait. He doesn't like being told what to do. That, to a point, gets one success but like any trait, there comes a time when it becomes detrimental.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
How many players in the NHL have the combination of Kane's skillset with that size/physicality? It's only a handful.

You're making up strawman arguments by saying "you're blaming the coaches for his issues" or "you think he's going to change". No, I FULLY realize who Kane is. Again, I don't see any sort of risk from acquiring Kane that outweigh the potential gain from getting him. That doesn't mean there aren't risks there, that means they don't outweigh the potential benefit. This was my post on the last page:

This isn't saying "Kane isn't a problem", this is saying that the benefits of having Kane on the ice will outweigh him being shitty at least for the short term.

I suppose I'm not a 'win at all costs' type of person. If it takes Evander Kane to win a Cup this year, I've already been alive for 5...I'm good.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I think it points to an "agreeableness" character trait. He doesn't like being told what to do. That, to a point, gets one success but like any trait, there comes a time when it becomes detrimental.

It's not just that Kane "doesn't like being told what to do," it's that he's a jerk.

I wasn't going to mention specifics but now that I think about it, why not? In Vancouver, he has been blacklisted from both Fraserview Golf Course and the Cactus Club because he constantly dines and dashes...after having treated the staff like sh*t beforehand. This is the kind of guy Kane is. Just a human tire fire literally everywhere he goes. It doesn't matter that our leaders are "nice guys" - would you want to have to deal with a guy who does this kind of stuff? It's draining and puts you in a bad mood.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think there is SOME merit to that line of thinking. However I guess my main thrust here is that you can understand why he has rubbed so many teammates the wrong way.

"Rules for thee not for me" doesn't usually go over very well with co-workers. Sullivan inevitably putting the kybosh on that attitude would lead to the blowup and suddenly dude's clothes are in the shower again.

I completely see where you and Emp are coming from. I do. But it just isn't worth it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I suppose I'm not a 'win at all costs' type of person. If it takes Evander Kane to win a Cup this year, I've already been alive for 5...I'm good.

Yeah this reminds me a little bit of the whole TB controversy this past year with their uh... creative interpretation... of the cap. A lot of fans on here were like "oh grow up lol -- if you aren't cheating you aren't trying lol -- you'd love it if the Penguins would have thought of it first!"

No no and uh no.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Penguins won't acquire Evander Kane. Since Matt Cooke, the Penguins have not employed a single player who could be classified as a "bad boy", and even he wasn't a severe malcontent in the locker room. Neither was James Neal.

Even their enforcers - Eric Godard, Ryan Reaves - were considered good guys in the locker room. Phil Kessel wasn't a bad guy, just a source of frustration with coaches. Kane, however, has a long, long history of being troubled off the ice and wearing out his welcome in the locker room. It's a shame, because he's a fantastic talent.

But he's not worth the trouble and the Penguins won't be interested. The fact that they were scouting that particular game was likely a coincidence. Teams scout AHL games all the time.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'd go for Kane for a few reasons:

1) Potential on ice impact
2) Likely low cost in terms of assets (lets be honest, we don't have much)
3) Gives us something to talk about
4) Low risk. If he were to do something else really stupid, i'm sure there's a contract clause or league ruling that could be useful. Or, send him down and when he doesn't report ... boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad