Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Heard he sucks now, but Stars would have to retain quite a lot as he makes a sliver under 10M AAV. So Segs at 8M it would have to be assuming Rust wants 6M.
Yeah, a catastrophic knee injury will do that to a guy whose entire game relies on his speed/skating. :laugh: But if he ever rebounds, he used to be really exciting and a big production guy iirc.

Probably too late in the era to take a homerun swing like that though.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah, a catastrophic knee injury will do that to a guy whose entire game relies on his speed/skating. :laugh: But if he ever rebounds, he used to be really exciting and a big production guy iirc.

Yeah, he used to be amazing. I don't think we are going to take a stab at anyone of the old Segs ilk. Maybe JT.Miller or Boeser in the offseason?

BRING BACK KANE!!! :sarcasm:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Hextall definitely deserves credit for holding on to Jarry and letting him bounce back. That was definitely not the easy answer this off season.

He does but at the same time, that wasn't his preferred answer until he saw the goalie prices this off-season. To no small extent he let the market make the decision for him and is lucky Jarry has rewarded him.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
He does but at the same time, that wasn't his preferred answer until he saw the goalie prices this off-season. To no small extent he let the market make the decision for him and is lucky Jarry has rewarded him.
Conversely if he succeeded in getting Kuemper then we could have gotten goaltending like he's giving now and last season, both .907.
If we went after Andersen and got him then he could have easily played like the last 2 years (.895 and .909). People were already starting to etch his tombstone, saying injuries have overtaken him. Now he's .930 in Carolina.

Goaltending is a roll of the dice.

Reactions: Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean if that sort of guy is actually available, sure. Forsberg's not that. I'm not sure Pavelski still is and he adds a questionable amount to a fully fit team anyway.

In terms of a high end offensive player who can create on his own, he's about as close as we're going to get any time soon. Giroux would also qualify.

Pavelski would be more of a luxury secondary addition, but he's absolutely an upgrade on Kapanen and does a lot more for this team in terms of faceoffs, versatility, and production.

Waxing about the Pens being "fully fit" as though that's a reasonable expectation for the most injury prone team in the league isn't on my plane of reality. Having players who can not only contribute when fit but fill in during those times when we're not is critical.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In terms of a high end offensive player who can create on his own, he's about as close as we're going to get any time soon. Giroux would also qualify.

Pavelski would be more of a luxury secondary addition, but he's absolutely an upgrade on Kapanen and does a lot more for this team in terms of faceoffs, versatility, and production.

Talking about this team being "fully fit" as though that's a reasonable expectation isn't on my plane of reality. Having players who can not only contribute when fit but fill in during those times when we're not is critical to literally the most injury prone team in the league.

As close as we can get isn't the standard that changes the team's conditions for success though.

And I'm not sure Pavelski is an upgrade on the Kapanen we saw with Malkin last season.

Finally - yeah, this team seems cursed to never be full fit. But it's not a reasonable expectation either to have a team that can truck right through the worst of it come playoff time. Trying to make one becomes throwing good money after bad after a certain point.

I think the team should be very aggressive on Hertl in free agency. Maybe Trocheck as a guy who can drive a top 6 line but also slot into the team elsewhere when Sid and Geno is fit. Take swings at Forsberg and Pavelski too if they're there, but not going wild.

I don't think they should be throwing a bunch of assets at guys who don't change the team's basic victory conditions. Not until we can be confident those conditions can be met at the very least.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As close as we can get isn't the standard that changes the team's conditions for success though.

And I'm not sure Pavelski is an upgrade on the Kapanen we saw with Malkin last season.

Finally - yeah, this team seems cursed to never be full fit. But it's not a reasonable expectation either to have a team that can truck right through the worst of it come playoff time. Trying to make one becomes throwing good money after bad after a certain point.

I think the team should be very aggressive on Hertl in free agency. Maybe Trocheck as a guy who can drive a top 6 line but also slot into the team elsewhere when Sid and Geno is fit. Take swings at Forsberg and Pavelski too if they're there, but not going wild.

I don't think they should be throwing a bunch of assets at guys who don't change the team's basic victory conditions. Not until we can be confident those conditions can be met at the very least.

Forsberg or Giroux could be quality tertiary types about on par with Kessel - if not Stamkos - in terms of carrying the offensive load when Crosby or Malkin is either out or sub-par. They've done it on their present teams as primary options. Hertl qualifies too, but again, his handedness is an issue that would limit his value here. "Free agency" also operates under the assumption that this year is basically a write-off, which I'm not prepared to do. There are only so many years of elite Crosby, Malkin, and Letang left.

Having a third forward option who can help Crosby and Malkin carry the load isn't an unreasonable expectation. To me, it's the only reasonable expectation if we want to accomplish anything in the playoffs. It was what we needed in 2016 to finally get over the hump, and Crosby and Malkin haven't somehow gotten more self-sufficient 5 years after the fact, despite the fact that our GMs and coach operate as though they have.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Forsberg or Giroux could be quality tertiary types about on par with Kessel - if not Stamkos - in terms of carrying the offensive load when Crosby or Malkin is either out or sub-par. They've done it on their present teams as primary options. Hertl qualifies too, but again, his handedness is an issue that would limit his value here. "Free agency" also operates under the assumption that this year is basically a write-off, which I'm not prepared to do. There are only so many years of elite Crosby, Malkin, and Letang left.

Having a third forward option who can help Crosby and Malkin carry the load isn't an unreasonable expectation. To me, it's the only reasonable expectation if we want to accomplish anything in the playoffs. It was what we needed in 2016 to finally get over the hump, and Crosby and Malkin haven't somehow gotten more self-sufficient 5 years after the fact, despite the fact that our GMs and coach operate as though they have.

I like Forsberg and would like him here but we've just got to agree to disagree if you think he's on a par with Kessel.

Giroux, maybe, but he's completely unrealistic unless laundered through a third team and I think that's pretty unrealistic in itself.

I don't think this year's a write off. I think this team is good enough to win it if the team can finally get a little luck with injuries. Teams have won the cup with worse forwards. But I do think it's a write off in terms of getting that calibre of forward. Like, not even a debate about the price, I just don't see the guy available (other than maybe Hertl).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like Forsberg and would like him here but we've just got to agree to disagree if you think he's on a par with Kessel.

Giroux, maybe, but he's completely unrealistic unless laundered through a third team and I think that's pretty unrealistic in itself.

I don't think this year's a write off. I think this team is good enough to win it if the team can finally get a little luck with injuries. Teams have won the cup with worse forwards. But I do think it's a write off in terms of getting that calibre of forward. Like, not even a debate about the price, I just don't see the guy available (other than maybe Hertl).

Agreed. I do have this sick vision of Giroux getting moved to us because of Hextall.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Malkin has always wanted to ride out the whole thing with Crosby. That's always been his goal.

You look at half the replies to just that tweet alone and you wonder why he'd want to, though. Maybe he doesn't participate in any social media? Wise man, if so.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Whatever timeframe you want to use, Forsberg is generally around 10th among LWs at between .80 and .85 P/G...and that's without having much forward help to work with in Nashville. The next highest forward on his team over the last 3 years was Arvidsson at .67.

Considering Forsberg's the type of forward you can deploy and not have him be a defensive liability like Kessel, I think he could have a comparable impact.

But barring adding a player like that, I don't see us doing anything in the playoffs. Our stars are too brittle and the supporting cast is too generic.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

If he can ever figure out how to change his game around positioning and possession then he could rebound into a solid game. His IQ and hands have gone no where. It’s just he can’t skate into an advantage or out of problems now. I think Seguin could definitely have a huge comeback in his career. But I think, and that’s a huge if, I would rather the Penguins not be part of that experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad