Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Was the ship even all that sinking? The only thing we did wrong on ice under Rutherford was get knocked out in the 1st round, which happened last year too.

Right now I see pretty much the same results with pretty much the same guys. Carter, McGinn, Heinen are the only three regulars here who don't have a direct tie to Rutherford. Hextall's done a shrewd job of maintaining quality in the face of cap casualties and has been more economical with his spending but it seems to me he's simply keeping the ship on the same track as before.

nah. I never said he was on a upswing but Rutherford was sinking. Hextal just calmed things.

In like a year span Rutherford overpaid for bunch of guys. Was losing in trades and in fa.
Tanev
Zucker
Math
Marino
Pets

none of them are living up to their contracts. And he was booted because he was about to make a knee jerk trade and double down on the disasters.

dude set this team back a lot in his final years. A tree for a GM would of been better

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think McGinn is my top choice, there.

I would keep ERod with Crosby.

Good argument to be made for Heinen, too.

Frankly I'm happy enough so long as it's NOT Zucker.

If Erod stays with Sid, I’d move Rust to Malkin’s LW. He killed it there with Malkin and Kessel, maybe he does that again with Malkin and Kapanen.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Update.jpg

Based on these return dates, ERod and Jarry are symptomatic. Blueger, Simon, Matheson, Marino, are asymptomatic.
Sullivan did mention that nobody with symptoms is dealing with anything more than minor stuff. So then why was ERod put on IR and nobody else was?
It's possible we get a few of the asymptomatic guys back for Ottawa, if that's even played. You need a total of 3 clear tests over 48 hours. There's enough time.
At least it sounds extremely likely Rust plays in that one and Malkin plays Jan. 2nd.

Also worth noting that nobody who got Covid now had it before, I believe. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
nah. I never said he was on a upswing but Rutherford was sinking. Hextal just calmed things.

In like a year span Rutherford overpaid for bunch of guys. Was losing in trades and in fa.
Tanev
Zucker
Math
Marino
Pets

none of them are living up to their contracts. And he was booted because he was about to make a knee jerk trade and double down on the disasters.

dude set this team back a lot in his final years. A tree for a GM would of been better

Tanev provided two good years then was lost for free. If that's losing, then losing doesn't really matter. John Marino is currently the 75th highest paid dman while the 56th for time on ice and joint 55th for points, which sounds like a good use of money for me. If that's losing, I hope Hextall loses some too!

Honestly, even if this was all true, big whoop. Find me five NHL teams that don't have five overinflated contracts on them. It's not like any of ours are Loui Eriksson or Vlasic. Right now the positive done by refusing to trade Tristan Jarry on the cheap and by acquiring Evan Rodrigues and bringing him back in free agency probably equals all of the negatives done.

I'm not gonna say Rutherford's last few years were magical but on the grand NHL standard it all feels very milquetoast.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We haven't missed Malkin that much either, but that doesn't mean I think the Pens are better off without him.

Like I said, I'd prefer to let Rust go in FA though. But I do think he's worth 6 mil.

Maybe he's "worth it' in the open market, but he's not worth $6M to the Penguins, who have some personnel issues looming with a potential Letang departure.

I'd argue the Pens have missed Geno- their PP sucks and Jeff Carter has shown a major decline in play. Meanwhile, the Pens are glut full of wingers. Some of whom have taken off with Rust's absence and increased ice time.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
No it's more that we lost in a miserable way and people create memes that never die. They ignored everything he did well because of him being used on the wrong wing :laugh:
Considering he could barely skate already at that age, I felt we got a lot out of him. More than I expected.

Morrow was the disappointment in the playoffs, not Iginla.

Morrow had a major knee situation develop, but prior to that he was as advertised.

But yea Iggy was awesome here. If I recall correctly they asked him to play the left point on PP1 because of injuries and proceeded to score 2 goals on long range bombs. Then it was never tried again...

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
View attachment 493835

Based on these return dates, ERod and Jarry are symptomatic. Blueger, Simon, Matheson, Marino, are asymptomatic.
Sullivan did mention that nobody with symptoms is dealing with anything more than minor stuff. So then why was ERod put on IR and nobody else was?
It's possible we get a few of the asymptomatic guys back for Ottawa, if that's even played. You need a total of 3 clear tests over 48 hours. There's enough time.
At least it sounds extremely likely Rust plays in that one and Malkin plays Jan. 2nd.

Also worth noting that nobody who got Covid now had it before, I believe. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

CDC just issued guidance that will reduce the quarantine time from 10 to 5 days for those who are vaccinated and contracted the virus. That'll shift some things.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The difference between the 1st/2nd round and not is Sid and Geno finally both turning up fit and in form, and Tristan Jarry playing his best rather than his worst. Adding better complimentary pieces to them is about pushing things over the edge if the stars align there, not changing what needs to happen.

A pedantic point but one I think important, particularly in terms of whether they'll go ahead and make such a move. I also think it's very important in terms of whether Kapanen's expendable, as it's only really a move to be made if Geno's back on ice looking mean, at which point Kapanen's value to this team potentially rockets back up again.

Having both Crosby and Malkin "fit and in form" is an increasingly unlikely prospect over the course of a playoff run - that's why they need another high end forward to step in and carry the load when one of them is either unavailable or not at his best.

Tampa has Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point. When one of them's not available - as has regularly shown to be the case with Kucherov and Stamkos - another can step in. We had that with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. That calibre of forward is what we need to add, and I really don't care about losing any of our wingers or futures in order to facilitate that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe he's "worth it' in the open market, but he's not worth $6M to the Penguins, who have some personnel issues looming with a potential Letang departure.

I'd argue the Pens have missed Geno- their PP sucks and Jeff Carter has shown a major decline in play. Meanwhile, the Pens are glut full of wingers. Some of whom have taken off with Rust's absence and increased ice time.

As I said, my preference is to let Rust go and use that money on a high end forward. But there's no scenario where we should be retaining Zucker at 5.5 mil and letting Rust go for 6 mil.

"Not missing" Malkin means that while we're not winning in the same way, we are still winning regularly. Rust is still better than every winger we have save Guentzel. And while it's encouraging to see Rodrigues play well this year, he's not a better player than Rust. There has to be a bigger acquisition if we were to let him go.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tanev provided two good years then was lost for free. If that's losing, then losing doesn't really matter. John Marino is currently the 75th highest paid dman while the 56th for time on ice and joint 55th for points, which sounds like a good use of money for me. If that's losing, I hope Hextall loses some too!

Honestly, even if this was all true, big whoop. Find me five NHL teams that don't have five overinflated contracts on them. It's not like any of ours are Loui Eriksson or Vlasic. Right now the positive done by refusing to trade Tristan Jarry on the cheap and by acquiring Evan Rodrigues and bringing him back in free agency probably equals all of the negatives done.

I'm not gonna say Rutherford's last few years were magical but on the grand NHL standard it all feels very milquetoast.

Rutherford’s biggest issue was tinkering for tinkering’s sake.

Also Rutherford reportedly tried to get rid of Jarry for cheap and nobody was biting prior to 19-20.

Reactions: Darren McCord

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't really agree that JR's last few years were exactly typical, really. He was all over the map. Aside from just slangin' trades for shits he suddenly shifted gears after all their success because one player got in his head. That cost them at least a season or two of progress, in my mind. Aside from the 2M in dead cap space starting next season I can't really take issue with much in the way of contracts still on the books, though. Although perhaps you look at guys like MP and Marino and say "that's a wee bit generous."

Leaving in a huff because you can't trade Letang is also a bit... over the top.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
As I said, my preference is to let Rust go and use that money on a high end forward. But there's no scenario where we should be retaining Zucker at 5.5 mil and letting Rust go for 6 mil.

"Not missing" Malkin means that while we're not winning in the same way, we are still winning regularly. Rust is still better than every winger we have save Guentzel. And while it's encouraging to see Rodrigues play well this year, he's not a better player than Rust. There has to be a bigger acquisition if we were to let him go.

With an increased role (well Rust's old role) Kap has been a better player with Sid than Rust has. So I'd put him and Jake as the top 2 wingers. Heinman would be next.

Zucker is going through an unprecedented cold shooting streak. If he normalizes, he could easily replace Rust's production and game at 500k less than what Rust would bring for a shorter term.

So yes I'll take our 2C back over our 3/4 best winger

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With an increased role (well Rust's old role) Kap has been a better player with Sid than Rust has. So I'd put him and Jake as the top 2 wingers. Heinman would be next.

Zucker is going through an unprecedented cold shooting streak. If he normalizes, he could easily replace Rust's production and game at 500k less than what Rust would bring for a shorter term.

So yes I'll take our 2C back over our 3/4 best winger

I never suggested anything different.

Zucker is not replacing a damn thing Rust does. That narrative has to die. Even ignoring their huge discrepancy in production over the last few years, we know that Rust works very well with Malkin while Zucker's an abortion. No part of that makes sense.

Kapanen and Heinen are better than Rust now? Hoorah for tiny sample sizes!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I never suggested anything different.

Zucker is not replacing a damn thing Rust does. That narrative has to die. Even ignoring their huge discrepancy in production over the last few years, we know that Rust works very well with Malkin while Zucker's an abortion. No part of that makes sense.

Kapanen and Heinen are better than Rust now? Hoorah for tiny sample sizes!

Well this year Kap and Heinen are better than Rust. Availability matters. And considering Rust has missed significant chunks, that should be factored as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad