Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Salary Cap Thread: Kane?!? The only Kane I want is the candy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That's a good point. I had completely forgotten how his contract was structured as far as real money was concerned.

That was a big reason it got a lot of scrutiny at the time, right?

Yeah, some cap circumvention. They made a new rule that each year the salary can only be reduced by some percentage (I forget how much). Among other rules. Not just because of Crosby's contract. But also Hossa, Richards, and others I'm forgetting. Oh, Jeff Carter. And Shea Weber.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wonder if Sid really is gonna pull a Gretzky and retire at 37.

I seriously doubt it. Didn't Gretzky say he regretted that?

Although I guess it depends on what the team thinks their direction should be the next 3-4 years. It's tough for me to imagine Sid wanting to sit around collecting lotto picks the last few years of his career.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I seriously doubt it. Didn't Gretzky say he regretted that?

Although I guess it depends on what the team thinks their direction should be the next 3-4 years. It's tough for me to imagine Sid wanting to sit around collecting lotto picks the last few years of his career.

Hard to see the Pens as being anything but bad in 3-4 years unless Sid/Malkin are still playing at a high level by then. We have no star players on the way in the system unless something unexpected happens. Hell we don't even really have any prospects that figure to be top 6 capable or d that look top 4 capable.

So if the Pens are still doing well at that point it's because of coaching and Sid/Geno remaining relevant and whatever moves Hextall makes between now and then.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hard to see the Pens as being anything but bad in 3-4 years unless Sid/Malkin are still playing at a high level by then. We have no star players on the way in the system unless something unexpected happens. Hell we don't even really have any prospects that figure to be top 6 capable or d that look top 4 capable.

So if the Pens are still doing well at that point it's because of coaching and Sid/Geno remaining relevant and whatever moves Hextall makes between now and then.

*shrug*

If you're gonna be bad... be REALLY bad. Don't half-ass it.

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can definitely see Sid eyeing up the next Olympics.

As for the stuff about us going to be bad when Sid/Geno hang them up - I look at what this team has done through the injuries and don't feel any such certainty. People make too much of star power when it comes to regular season success.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If he can ever figure out how to change his game around positioning and possession then he could rebound into a solid game. His IQ and hands have gone no where.
it's not that easy. your mind is telling you. you can easily beat the other guy to the puck, so you go for it. but then for some reason everything jumps into slow motion. and while your legs are moving your not. :laugh: it's not a good feeling. and it usually ends up with you getting crushed, or frustrated.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can definitely see Sid eyeing up the next Olympics.

As for the stuff about us going to be bad when Sid/Geno hang them up - I look at what this team has done through the injuries and don't feel any such certainty. People make too much of star power when it comes to regular season success.
The bigger concern for me is that when there's a lack of star power here, it makes us less attractive for free agents and we're less likely to be on players trade lists.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's pretty rare for a team to just flat out suck without actively bumbling things, on an almost intentional level, when it comes to coaching and management. Teams like Ottawa, Buffalo, and Arizona are routinely bad because they just can't figure out how to put into place competent people throughout their organization. A team full of non-descript, pretty average guys like McGinn, Heinen, E-Rod, etc. could easily float around the wildcard mark, I think, as long as they had competent coaching and goaltending. Hell, a team like Edmonton would probably be worse than all the aforementioned if they hadn't lucked into two megastars in McDavid and Draisaitl.

I don't think we're gonna be dealing with utter incompetence from ownership, the FO, or coaching. Even after the big three leave or retire, we'll probably still be bad, but not "dreadful, perennial top-3 pick" bad. Which is why I hope we invest heavily into shoring up the scouting and development areas of the organization. Plenty of quality to be had after the top-10 picks, but it takes a lot of luck and keen scouting, in addition to development/coaching, to continually churn out meaningful NHL talent.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The bigger concern for me is that when there's a lack of star power here, it makes us less attractive for free agents and we're less likely to be on players trade lists.

I can't really remember the last time that really openly worked out for us anyway. Carter was a personal connection with the front office, Kessel didn't think we could trade for him. Uhm, Iginla?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The idea that you don't need franchise players to make the dance is absolutely correct.

It's just that when you DO...

Also guys like that help with ticket sales and creating a buzz around a team. Which is important. Look at a place like Minny... often a "solid" team over the years in a hockey-crazed part of the States but never really talked about much until just recently. Wonder what changed?

Reactions: dogthateats

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
The idea that you don't need franchise players to make the dance is absolutely correct.

It's just that when you DO...

Also guys like that help with ticket sales and creating a buzz around a team. Which is important. Look at a place like Minny... often a "solid" team over the years in a hockey-crazed part of the States but never really talked about much until just recently. Wonder what changed?
They got rid of Zucker?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Malkin has always wanted to ride out the whole thing with Crosby. That's always been his goal.

You look at half the replies to just that tweet alone and you wonder why he'd want to, though. Maybe he doesn't participate in any social media? Wise man, if so.

I'm sure Geno is aware of what some of the fanbase thinks, and I doubt he really cares when he looks at his trophy room and sees three Cups there, among other things. There are a lot of fools in the world and most of them seem to be on social media now.

Yeah, I think they'll get a deal done for him to stay through Crosby's contract. Three years. I'd be surprised at four more years in the NHL, I still think he plays some in Russia at the very end. You never know but I really don't see Geno jetting out of here to go make money elsewhere. Legacy has always been very important to him, and nothing beats staying and winning with one team your whole career.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille