Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Wakin' up too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think my biggest thing with Zucker is that he doesn’t feel like an improvement over Kahun. I’d much rather add some size in Saad to the top six.
Zucker has a sweet shot and is decent in his own end, Kahun is like a poor mans version of that so far, but what I like about Saad over Zuck is the way Saad protects the puck and is able to do that very well, we need a player like him that can score goals the way he does. A grind 'em out type with skill.

I just think the Zucker types don't fit this team's current DNA. I like the player, just not with the current make up of the team.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think Kreider might be the best but maybe not the best value given the division. I don’t think Saad will be coasting on a good team. All he’s ever done is be super effective at ES, especially before his second stint on the terrible version of the Hawks.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Kreider might be the best but maybe not the best value given the division. I don’t think Saad will be coasting on a good team. All he’s ever done is be super effective at ES, especially before his second stint on the terrible version of the Hawks.

This isn’t directed at you. But people saying Kreider doesn’t coast are hilarious while accusing Saad of the same.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This isn’t directed at you. But people saying Kreider doesn’t coast are hilarious while accusing Saad of the same.
Kreider coasts for like 80% of the game, Saad coasts at times, but Kreider is an epic coaster, dude could take over games if he was ever consistent but he never will be at this stage in his career.

Also looking at the Hawks line-up vs the Preds...

Kubalik - Toews - Quenneville
Kampf - Dach - DeBrincat
Nylander - Carpenter - Kane
Highmore - Smith - Caggiula

Keith - Boqvist
Gustafsson - Murphy
Maatta - Koekkoek

I think there's a move to be made with sending them Bjugstad actually, he could/should slot in over Carpenter easily. I just wonder what else besides the 1st and which prospect it takes to get them to eat a tiny bit of salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I honestly think Zucker could be a huge disappointment ala Granlund here. But, with a lengthy contract.

I guess it depends on what you think he'd do production wise - which is what I assume you're basing this off of, because anyone (who has the ability) can skate hard and fast while being decent defensively. Zucker when being successful is a very successful ES player who's decent defensively, has blazing speed and isn't inept offensively. Sure his best seasons came with PP production that boosted his overall numbers that he wouldn't get here. But if he could replicate his ES numbers (.49 PPG over the past 4 seasons at ES) while providing a decent defensive game, along with his speed, I think that's something that would work here. Ideally that works with Crosby or Malkin in a Haglin/Dupuis with better hands/skills like role. And if it doesn't, you bump him down until you can trade him. And while it's all dependent on the cost, the fact that he has a term left (3.5 yrs) is appealing. 5.5m is a pretty manageable cap hit and the term is fine - takes him to 31. Sure he's going to cost more than a rental... but at least it's a price for an asset that doesn't disappear in 4-5 months. Might cost a little more (maybe), but I think it would be worth it.

I think my biggest thing with Zucker is that he doesn’t feel like an improvement over Kahun. I’d much rather add some size in Saad to the top six.

I don't really seem them as similar players. Kahun isn't as fast, but is a better playmaker. Zucker has a better shot and is stronger on the puck. Kahun is better defensively. I like Kahun and like that with Guentzel out he's going to get more of a chance to show us what he can do. But if we could get Zucker at a price that was reasonable and could ensure his cap hit would work going forward, then having Kahun wouldn't prevent me from doing that.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think there's a move to be made with sending them Bjugstad actually, he could/should slot in over Carpenter easily. I just wonder what else besides the 1st and which prospect it takes to get them to eat a tiny bit of salary.

I don't think it should cost us anything more than Bjugs and a 1st to get them to eat some salary - potentially a lot of salary. Bjugs has value in his own right - because as you said, he's going to slot in there and that in and of itself is going to provide value to Chicago.

I know many dislike Bjugs because he dosen't use his size enough and isn't a 50/60pt player. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have value in this league. He might not be worth a ton, but he's far from a cap dump. Sure this has been a rough season for him... but no GM is going to judge him on an 9.5 game stretch that was broken up with an injury and while playing on an injury riddled team. What he did last season as our 3c will hold a lot more value. What he did the past 2-3 seasons will hold a lot more value. Again, I'm not saying he's worth some super great return, but I suspect that if JR moved Bjugs tomorrow, that people here will be talking about how he fleeced someone based solely on what they perceive Bjugs value to be based on their opinion of him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Instead of acquiring a top LW, I wonder if a 4C would be enough. That would let Blueger be 3C and move McCann to the vacant LW spot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even so, he's a 23 yr old kid on a good contract and an RFA at the end of it. I could see them moving him for another player like that, but not for a 28 yr old Bjugstad who's a UFA in 18 mths. Someone out there would offer Minny another young struggling kid with potential. That would be the type of deal that Minny would do. Maybe I'm wrong...

That's pretty much exactly what Russo said in his mailbag - they'll do him for another struggling young player.

I honestly think Zucker could be a huge disappointment ala Granlund here. But, with a lengthy contract.

I'm not sure about huge, I think anyone with his pace and goalscoring ability will get some traction here, but... I worry that maybe he doesn't offer enough of a different dimension to help get us past a tricky match up.

Mind you, I worry a little about all the names. There's no one I think "There's a 100% shot here".

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think it should cost us anything more than Bjugs and a 1st to get them to eat some salary - potentially a lot of salary. Bjugs has value in his own right - because as you said, he's going to slot in there and that in and of itself is going to provide value to Chicago.

I know many dislike Bjugs because he dosen't use his size enough and isn't a 50/60pt player. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have value in this league. He might not be worth a ton, but he's far from a cap dump. Sure this has been a rough season for him... but no GM is going to judge him on an 9.5 game stretch that was broken up with an injury and while playing on an injury riddled team. What he did last season as our 3c will hold a lot more value. What he did the past 2-3 seasons will hold a lot more value. Again, I'm not saying he's worth some super great return, but I suspect that if JR moved Bjugs tomorrow, that people here will be talking about how he fleeced someone based solely on what they perceive Bjugs value to be based on their opinion of him.
I think Nick Bjugstad is a solid player, I just don't think he fits the style of the Eastern Conference very well and would actually do very well over in the West. Hell I despise Sutter, but when healthy, he's actually a decent player production wise, but he's just never healthy in Vancouver and they are pretty similar in regards to guys that are bigger that don't use their size and are passive as hell (comparison stops there I think).

I think a 1st + Bjugstad could get us at least 1m in retention, the good thing is that it's only 1.5yrs of it so that 1st being a guaranteed first should ease that pain.

Hell if Chicago would eat even more, the Pens could take Carpenter off their hands as well (I mention him because he produces somewhat decently, is a solid 2-way player, right handed faceoff man that is currently better than Blandisi and Agozzino in that regard, he's a career 48% guy, was 50% last year, is at around 45% this year).

Saad, Crosby, Tanev
Kahun, Malkin, Rust
McCann, Blueger, Hornqvist
Aston-Reese, Carpenter, Simon

2018-19 Player Review: Ryan Carpenter remains a safe yet unproductive bottom-six option for Vegas

I didn't include Galchenyuk on that roster, for obvious reasons, I don't know who the Pens could get for him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Instead of acquiring a top LW, I wonder if a 4C would be enough. That would let Blueger be 3C and move McCann to the vacant LW spot.
I think we can get both out of Chicago.

Carpenter + Saad (22% retained) for Bjugstad + 1st.

Why does Chicago do this? More cap flexibility, they're eating 1.5m but they're getting Bjugstad at 4.1m and dumping Saad at 4.68 + Carpenter at 1 for a total of 1.58m in savings for the Hawks.

Pens can demote Lafferty to continue working on his game and can draw upon the experience if the Pens need him for their Black Aces now that he has NHL experience, also Agozzino and Blandisi and then it's just a matter of dealing with Chucky.

Carpenter is a right handed shot as well, so he replaces that right handed center bit that Bjugstad brought with him and allows Blue to stay as the 3c.

Honestly at that point, I am 100% ok with JR just dumping Chucky for picks. If we can get a 2nd + 5th for Galchenyuk for the 2020 draft, I am 100% down with that (wishful thinking we can get a 2nd).

Then we have a 2nd, two 3rd rounders, a 4th, 5th, 6th pick.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What if JR goes full Shero 2013 deadline? With this roster, with how they are performing, he would go down as one of the biggest power moves in Pens history. I don't know if anyone will ever top Patrick with the Ronnie and Ulf deal.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
What if JR goes full Shero 2013 deadline? With this roster, with how they are performing, he would go down as one of the biggest power moves in Pens history. I don't know if anyone will ever top Patrick with the Ronnie and Ulf deal.

If he's smart he could utilize Bjugs/Chucky/Schultz to recoup picks. Than go shopping for:

Top 6 W
Depth W
Depth D

This is the year to fortify the roster and go for it. Even without Jake, Sully has this team together.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I wouldn't like that because they don't need to do that. I don't think you're tangibly increasing your chances if you do more than acquiring 2 top-6 wingers. I think anything beyond that isn't going to substantially help the team, at least to the point of being worth it.

Like sure, you could get a better 2nd pair LD than Pettersson to push Pettersson to the 3rd pair and Johnson out of the lineup, but I don't think the upgrade there is worth what it would cost to get a better 2nd pair LD nor do I think you need to upgrade on either JJ or Pettersson. Acquiring a cost controlled top-6 winger, a rental top-6 winger and a depth D sets this team up to go on a deep run, anything beyond that is just wasting assets IMO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I wouldn't like that because they don't need to do that. I don't think you're tangibly increasing your chances if you do more than acquiring 2 top-6 wingers. I think anything beyond that isn't going to substantially help the team, at least to the point of being worth it.

Like sure, you could get a better 2nd pair LD than Pettersson to push Pettersson to the 3rd pair and Johnson out of the lineup, but I don't think the upgrade there is worth what it would cost to get a better 2nd pair LD nor do I think you need to upgrade on either JJ or Pettersson. Acquiring a cost controlled top-6 winger, a rental top-6 winger and a depth D sets this team up to go on a deep run, anything beyond that is just wasting assets IMO.

I think the more success the team has the more brazen is he going to be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the more success the team has the more brazen is he going to be.

That's a fair assumption to make, I just hope he doesn't make needless moves just for the sake of adding better players. I'd also include that you don't want to upset the balance of the locker room by acquiring a bunch of players late in the year. I don't think it would send a good message to the team if you brought in 4 or 5 guys and pushed out 2 or 3 players responsible for the Penguins being so good this year.

I don't think trading Bjugstad, Galchenyuk and Ruhwedel would be a problem because those guys either haven't played much or haven't helped the team be good. Now if you start talking about someone like ZAR, Simon or JJ, I don't know that would be well received, even if those guys are just depth players.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Just watched Insider Trading from the 9th. Probably discussed here between the books written about ZAR, but Pierre Lebrun essentially saying Gachenyuk as good as gone and will move him for a draft pick or bottom 6 forward. Then Bobby Mac said JR wants hockey trade for a top 6 forward and will try to make move before deadline.

None of that is a surprise, but thought it interesting how definitive Lebrun was on them moving Galchenyuk.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just watched Insider Trading from the 9th. Probably discussed here between the books written about ZAR, but Pierre Lebrun essentially saying Gachenyuk as good as gone and will move him for a draft pick or bottom 6 forward. Then Bobby Mac said JR wants hockey trade for a top 6 forward and will try to make move before deadline.

None of that is a surprise, but thought it interesting how definitive Lebrun was on them moving Galchenyuk.

Yeah, I've heard/read LeBrun a few times. He is adamant. There are a lot of writers who have basically said a Galchenyuk deal is an ASAP thing. There is no more waiting around for him to find it here.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That's a fair assumption to make, I just hope he doesn't make needless moves just for the sake of adding better players. I'd also include that you don't want to upset the balance of the locker room by acquiring a bunch of players late in the year. I don't think it would send a good message to the team if you brought in 4 or 5 guys and pushed out 2 or 3 players responsible for the Penguins being so good this year.

I don't think trading Bjugstad, Galchenyuk and Ruhwedel would be a problem because those guys either haven't played much or haven't helped the team be good. Now if you start talking about someone like ZAR, Simon or JJ, I don't know that would be well received, even if those guys are just depth players.

Yeah and I don't think trading ZAR, Simon, or JJ really accomplishes anything positive. I cannot see a team really making one of those 3 a must have throw in for a deal, and doing a 1 for 1 with any of those guys makes little to no sense.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I've heard/read LeBrun a few times. He is adamant. There are a lot of writers who have basically said a Galchenyuk deal is an ASAP thing. There is no more waiting around for him to find it here.

There's nothing more obvious. Sully is done and Gally is being shipped whenever JR gets a buyer, I'm hoping it's soon as he is useless here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah and I don't think trading ZAR, Simon, or JJ really accomplishes anything positive. I cannot see a team really making one of those 3 a must have throw in for a deal, and doing a 1 for 1 with any of those guys makes little to no sense.

Yeah, my point there was that if you're bringing in a bunch of better players, those guys are probably going to be the guys who lose their roster spots. At that point, they'd probably be throw ins for that deal.

Idk, it just rubs me the wrong way to do that to a player. "Hey, you've done a nice job this year to help the team be good and have played your role really well, but go pound sand and play in Ottawa because we wanted a better player for another position". With the team playing as well as it is, I think you have to subtract as little as possible as you can from the roster. Galchenyuk is a non-factor and Bjugstad's injury makes me think it would be fine to move him. Maybe you can also look at Ruhwedel and Riikola, although I think both of those guys have filled in admirably for Dumoulin and Schultz. Anyone beyond that has potential locker room ramifications IMO.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If he's smart he could utilize Bjugs/Chucky/Schultz to recoup picks. Than go shopping for:

Top 6 W
Depth W
Depth D

This is the year to fortify the roster and go for it. Even without Jake, Sully has this team together.

No on Schultz. Bottom-line is a Letang or (heaven forbid) Marino injury is something that could very well happen. This is the Penguins, after all.

Yes, you let Schultz walk after this year but for now I want to keep him.

Reactions: Trade

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Nah, we don’t need that many moves...this team is playing well and there’s danger in adding too many new faces late and upsetting the chemistry...lesson 1 from the Brassard trade...he’s just needs to get the right top 6 winger and that’s it...we’ll be fine (assuming injured players come back strong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad