Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Wakin' up too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bjugstad to Minnesota is fine, but I don't think the Pens get Zucker when that deal goes down.

I'd rather try to pry Donato from them.

Can't see Bjugs even being part of that. They'd want someone young for him. If Zucker doesn't block a trade here, I could see Bjugs+ for him. But for Donato, I don't think there's a ton here that Guerin would want that we'd be willing to move. I don't think one of the depth guys that we'd be willing to move and a pick/prospect does much for him with regards to Donato.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can't see Bjugs even being part of that. They'd want someone young for him. If Zucker doesn't block a trade here, I could see Bjugs+ for him. But for Donato, I don't think there's a ton here that Guerin would want that we'd be willing to move. I don't think one of the depth guys that we'd be willing to move and a pick/prospect does much for him with regards to Donato.

There has been some rumors they aren’t particularly happy with Donato.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If I'm JR, I'd be calling Stan Bowman everyday about Saad and seeing if he could rip him off a 3rd time.
There's sort of an unwritten rule among NHL GMs that you can't keep fleecing a guy or he'll stop doing business with ya, so it's doubtful JR would get to rip off Bowman again. If he wants Saad, he'll probably have to slightly overpay.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's sort of an unwritten rule among NHL GMs that you can't keep fleecing a guy or he'll stop doing business with ya, so it's doubtful JR would get to rip off Bowman again. If he wants Saad, he'll probably have to slightly overpay.

Rutherford's trade record with Bowman is nowhere near his record with Murray, so clearly they're fine :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Zucker+Donato for Bjugstad+ZAR+Bjorkqvist

Billy G's dream return...
He'd probably do it for just ZAR. The guy is THE preeminent shut-down forward of his generation. Just look at the advanced stats.

He'll never get a takeaway, but his positioning can never be taught.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There has been some rumors they aren’t particularly happy with Donato.

Even so, he's a 23 yr old kid on a good contract and an RFA at the end of it. I could see them moving him for another player like that, but not for a 28 yr old Bjugstad who's a UFA in 18 mths. Someone out there would offer Minny another young struggling kid with potential. That would be the type of deal that Minny would do. Maybe I'm wrong...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That cup win was when the NHL was trending towards big and heavy because of the Hawks and Kings winning with that style, it was when ass clowns like Bickell, Brouwer, Lucic, etc were all the rage.

Then the NHL started to trend towards speed thanks to the Penguins back 2 backs and that's when you really saw how slow some of these ****ers were and how many got phased out.

Oshie was a choppy skater, but he had great balance and was still an above average skater, he was more Perron than he was Toffoli with his stride, as in he had another gear but never really bothered to use it because of the style at the time. Blues moved him and you really got to see that he wasn't that bad of a skater, not great, but not bad either.

Toffoli, there's a lot of movement but the dude doesn't get anywhere any faster.

I always look for particular things, so it wouldn’t have mattered a whole lot who he was skating agt TBTH.

Those Hawks teams could really skate and I don’t recall him having any issues in the playoffs as he tore them up pretty hard (5 goals and 10 points in 11 games)

I’ll catch a Kings game this weekend if I get a chance to watch a late game, see how bad his skating has dropped.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Takeaways/giveaways are a joke stat, much like hits. I once counted Kunitz give the puck away 6 time in a first period alone. (This was in his 2nd to last season with us I believe) At the end of the game the other team was credited with 3 takeaways for the game.

I believe it’s either or. You can’t have both on the one play.

An unforced error causing a turn over is a giveaway (dump ins and such don’t count it has to be seen as a mistake) but a takeaway is a forced error but you have to get possession for it to count.

That’s why these numbers arent that high.

Reactions: canadianguy77

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I believe it’s either or. You can’t have both on the one play.

An unforced error causing a turn over is a giveaway (dump ins and such don’t count it has to be seen as a mistake) but a takeaway is a forced error but you have to get possession for it to count.

That’s why these numbers arent that high.
Makes sense.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
The Wild will be in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night... I wonder if Zucker will stay in Pittsburgh after the game. LOL

In all honesty, Bjugstad will probably still be injured by then but it'll be a great opportunity to scout Zucker assuming he'll be in the lineup.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Saad’s style really looks tailor made for this team looking at his highlights last year. It doesn’t seem like he’s lost anything- I think next to Sid or Geno in this system he could really flourish with his speed and hands.

I see Saad being oerfect for Malkin and Zucker for Sid with his speed and shiftiness.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
The Wild will be in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night... I wonder if Zucker will stay in Pittsburgh after the game. LOL

In all honesty, Bjugstad will probably still be injured by then but it'll be a great opportunity to scout Zucker assuming he'll be in the lineup.

I highly doubt it. He's supposed to start practicing soon, but was supposed to miss 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think Bjugstad might be back by then. Him and Schultz are wearing white jerseys and skating with the team now, I think they're probably going to be GTD vs the Zona Dogs and then might be available for the Minnesota BearThings.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly think Zucker could be a huge disappointment ala Granlund here. But, with a lengthy contract.
I thought I was in the minority that didn't think Zucker would do well here. I really don't see it at all. Like for the cost of getting him, I think he will be a poor man's version of Kessel here. Saad is the guy I pick because he's the type of player this coaching staff will use and he has more of what this team is looking for in his game.

I get why people want Zucker, he's this shiny new toy that has the potential to score 30+ here, but I think Saad has that and brings that solid 2-way ability and has the playoff pedigree that supports this team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ideal scenario atm for me would be something like
Saad+Namestnikov.

I do think JR's very comfortable with this D.
Mayyybe could see him getting a LD rental if need be(Hainsey/Greene).

Reactions: Ryder71

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm with Jiggy in that Saad can coast for a stretch of games. He's a guy who gets by on his size and skill more than tenacity. I'm not giving up a 1st and a top prospect for him. A 1st AND if there there's no better player we can get, sure. A 1st and some minor additions, ok.

TBH, I think this a year where going after a rental makes more sense than it ever has. We have a ton of cap room, a beast team and a hole to fill. I'd sooner roll the dice on Kreider blowing up here.

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I thought I was in the minority that didn't think Zucker would do well here. I really don't see it at all. Like for the cost of getting him, I think he will be a poor man's version of Kessel here. Saad is the guy I pick because he's the type of player this coaching staff will use and he has more of what this team is looking for in his game.

I get why people want Zucker, he's this shiny new toy that has the potential to score 30+ here, but I think Saad has that and brings that solid 2-way ability and has the playoff pedigree that supports this team.

I think my biggest thing with Zucker is that he doesn’t feel like an improvement over Kahun. I’d much rather add some size in Saad to the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad