Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where Gods are born & Old Ones Go To Valhalla..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hornqvist had massively declined from what he was during the cup runs, was a huge problem with the lack of depth scoring in the last 3 years and didn't fit the structure of the team or the 3rd line at all.

Moving him was 100% the right decision. Matheson is a project, but I'd rather have a younger project defenseman who may bust but could bring a huge need to the team over an older winger who didn't fit and was only going to get worse.
People act like Matheson a young up and coming player. He’s turning 27 next month, soooo.

ryan-confused.gif

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
. Coaching did have a significant impact imo and not just because JJ was overplayed....
yeah, it wasn't because he was over played it's because he was played over better and more deserving players and that has a major impact on the whole team. …if there is a good reason [like discipline] is one thing but just because you don't like the guy. it's not going to work.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would argue that a 4.9 mil defenseman is a lot easier to move than a 5.2 mil winger especially considering their age.

Maybe not with that term though. That term is ugly.

On the plus side, he's big and quick, which NHL GMs go a bit nuts for. If he can have a decent year here, maybe we can move him fairly painlessly.

Reactions: Gurglesons

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I would argue that a 4.9 mil defenseman is a lot easier to move than a 5.2 mil winger especially considering their age.

Tottally disagree because you're leaving the term length out.

The Penguins can wait out 2 years of Hornqvist, while still being a contributing player.

and then even in the final year you could move Hornqvist at 50% if you want

much harder to wait out 6 years of a healthy scratch / #6 Dman at 5mil. Probably way harder to move, UNLESS JR gets fired and then hired by another team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
3. If you get a dog expecting it to be a cat, that's on you. If you get a cat expecting it to be a dog, that's on you. If your measurement of Matheson is centered around his defensive play, you're going to be upset, and that's more on you than him. If you haven't figured out what kind of player he is yet, it's on you. No offense.

None taken, I'm not the GM :laugh:

Matheson wouldn't be on any team I'd be put together, though. The old goalie in me has very little tolerance of purely OFDs, before we even enter the contract discussion. That also means I never would have even glanced at Justin Schultz in 2016, fwiw, especially not at the deadline.

Let's just say I was not known for my restraint about Ryan Whitney back in the day.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tottally disagree because you're leaving the term length out.

The Penguins can wait out 2 years of Hornqvist, while still being a contributing player.

and then even in the final year you could move Hornqvist at 50% if you want

much harder to wait out 6 years of a healthy scratch / #6 Dman at 5mil. Probably way harder to move, UNLESS JR gets fired and then hired by another team.

We will see. People always say contracts are immovable. Zaitsev got moved, Matheson got moved, Gudbranson x 2. etc etc.

The cost for all of them was a lesser contract or similarly bad contract.

I’d also point to the fact that in his short time here Matheson’s advanced stats were very good.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
We will see. People always say contracts are immovable. Zaitsev got moved, Matheson got moved, Gudbranson x 2. etc etc.

Zaitsev has that Size and Physicality that GMs love. Guds was at the end of his deal, and again he has "intangibles"

I'm sure that's why Florida wanted Hornqvist too. GMs love that physical stuff. If Hornqvist didn't have a NTC, I'm sure he Would've been wanted by a ton of GMs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The cost for all of them was a lesser contract or similarly bad contract.

I’d also point to the fact that in his short time here Matheson’s advanced stats were very good.

You know that's not all that reassuring right :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idle question on the back of Shady's post - if you could choose one scenario at the end of the season for Matheson from the following, which would it be?

Nice season, lost in expansion
Great season, becomes Marino's partner, is kept

Or to put it another way - if Matheson takes off here, do people trust him to continue this, or would they be worried about it complicating dumping him at the next possible convenience?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Idle question on the back of Shady's post - if you could choose one scenario at the end of the season for Matheson from the following, which would it be?

Or to put it another way - if Matheson takes off here, do people trust him to continue this, or would they be worried about it complicating dumping him at the next possible convenience?

As I've said multiple times. Lost in expansion.

But he's rocking an xGF% of nearly 60% while being awful in one of those games. I'm real curious to see how his stats look in a bottom pairing role. Obviously as @SouthGeorge would so graciously point out, xGF% doesn't cover extremely dumb decisions though..

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I have a hard time saying we got notably better or worse vs last year. One thing that’s interesting is that we do seem to have more depth options. That is made even more interesting by the lack of pre-season and condensed reg season.

Gut read is:
3rd line looks notably better, and every time we actually do well when it counts, we have a productive 3rd line.

really like Zucker but it’s not translating into success for Geno.

If between Kaps and Zucker we can end up with a dangerous top 6, and the 3rd line remains quality....maybe this year will be better than I expected.

but it really is a challenge to get it all squared away in a shortened season. Good luck Sully.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Matheson has size and skates like the wind.

*rummages through dumpster full of complaints I had about Ryan Whitney*

Ah, yes.

"Size doesn't mean anything if you don't use it."

He is a good skater, though, and if there is a path to decency for Matheson it's because of that. I just balk at needing to teach a 27 year-old defenseman with 6 years remaining how to play defense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
*rummages through dumpster full of complaints I had about Ryan Whitney*

Ah, yes.

"Size doesn't mean anything if you don't use it."

He is a good skater, though, and if there is a path to decency for Matheson it's because of that. I just balk at needing to teach a 27 year-old defenseman with 6 years remaining how to play defense.

I think that is the mistake. We shouldn't be trying to teach Matheson how to play defense. We need to just embrace what he does well and slot him in a role where the defensive miscues are not killing us.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Depends on Pettersson and what their plans are with the defense going forward.

I was trying to write out some if statements to make my opinion, but it's just very complicated and depends on a lot of factors. Let's say that Pettersson is amazing this year (like he has been so far) and Matheson is also amazing, what you do with Matheson depends on what your plans are with Letang IMO.

Here's the simplest way I can say it:

1. If Matheson and Pettersson are great and you're not committed to Letang, keep Matheson and trade Letang
2. If Matheson and Pettersson are great and you're going to re-sign Letang, trade whichever of Matheson or Pettersson brings back a higher return
3. If Matheson isn't good enough where you think he can be a stable 2nd pair D for the duration of his contract, either trade Matheson or lose him in expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad