Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - What Comes Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Looking at the Pens cap friendly page now like

giphy.gif

I mean, obviously we don't have that much more space. But at the same time it feels like we do. It feels like the trade possibilities, when we get everyone back, are a lot richer with the salary cushion. And getting 4 million off the books for next summer is huge. I know MM is an automatic, but if we had lost one of McCann, Gally or Petts because we could afford to give everyone a raise I would've been pissed.

Riikola for Perlini makes sense for Pens and Hawks as well.
Have the Hawks soured on him that quickly? I would be loathe to give up on Rii so quickly, especially after he's been a trooper for us, but that's the kind of roll of the dice I would take.

I would strongly consider it. But I'd try to clear out more cap than just Kahun. Perhaps Bjugstad+ for Puljujarvi's rights and Josh Archibald? Edmonton could use the extra, higher skilled depth.
Am I way off in thinking Bjugs might actually have real value out there? Maybe I'm out to lunch on this one.

Assuming he comes back and doesn't find his footing in the lineup and winds up as trade bait, wouldn't a big C who is strong on the puck be a positive asset to a Western Contender?

Reactions: 66-30-33

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Am I way off in thinking Bjugs might actually have real value out there? Maybe I'm out to lunch on this one.

Assuming he comes back and doesn't find his footing in the lineup and winds up as trade bait, wouldn't a big C who is strong on the puck be a positive asset to a Western Contender?

Depends how you define real value. Bjugstad definitely has desirable traits, but he's not really been a difference maker for a few seasons now and that's gonna put a real dampener on his value. You could trade him for a like contract on defence - maybe someone like Scandella - or a 3rd or so and nothing else at this point. Is that real value?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm fine if we trade Jugs for Scandella who's a pending FA at the end of the year and we clear another 4M off of the cap for raises in the summer. Also trade JJ for more space.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like Schultz isn't nearly as dynamic as he used to be. The shot isn't as good, the skating isn't as good, and whatever physicality he did have, is gone. Maybe it was the leg injury that set him back. Maybe it wasn't.

To me he's a guy who will get 1 more short NHL contract, and then maybe a "tryout" contract after that. I have a hard time seeing him in the league in 4 or 5 years.

Schultz really isn't someone the Pens should be investing in on a contract extension, not unless it's a dirt cheap 1 or 2 year deal. He's just not good enough to be taking up $5+ million annually on, IMO. And that's not going to improve as he enters his 30's.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is Dumoulin out long-term? Otherwise, what's the point in adding Scandella if Johnson's not going the other way? There's no room for him on a fully healthy lineup.

Dumo's not out long term that I know of - it was more a theoretical "Roughly equivalent to Bjugstad but plays elsewhere" example of what I thought possible. Tbh, I'm not sure whether Scandella has enough in the tank to make this desirable.

That said, if we're looking at where this team looks a bit dodgy and where we might be looking to upgrade during the season, defence is gonna be an obvious place to look until the bottom two pairings put a nice string of games together. It'd be an awkward fit in terms of rostering but it is an obvious point of speculation/hope.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Bjugstad for a pick... That pick and JJ for nothing. I'd be really OK with JR unloading $11m of dead weight with no net assets coming back if that $11m is Gudbranson, JJ and Bjugstad. IDC if there's wasted cap space. Put the best players on the ice.

Also opens up the possibility of a top-4 D for futures assets (which we do have now) at the deadline.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I wonder what sort of contract Murray is valued for his next one. 6-8 mil? While we are in the business of clearing space we need to keep this in mind before we take on other contracts through trades this season. It may mean letting Chucky walk or if ideally they can trade Bjugstad or JJ without retaining. I'm not really giving up on Bjug yet but we need to figure this out.

So Trading Bjug and JJ may allow us to keep Chucky and Murray next year. Figure in Shultz or perhaps moving on from Shultz to aquire someone better which will cost more. A lot of work and a lot to figure out.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder what sort of contract Murray is valued for his next one. 6-8 mil? While we are in the business of clearing space we need to keep this in mind before we take on other contracts through trades this season. It may mean letting Chucky walk or if ideally they can trade Bjugstad or JJ without retaining. I'm not really giving up on Bjug yet but we need to figure this out.

So Trading Bjug and JJ may allow us to keep Chucky and Murray next year. Figure in Shultz or perhaps moving on from Shultz to aquire someone better which will cost more. A lot of work and a lot to figure out.

The Pens made a commitment to making him the #1 and I can only hope he sees at his young age that he can't price himself out of here. It would be great to see him sign a 5 year 6.0/6.5 deal.

Reactions: NEPA

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Regarding Schultz in Rossi’s top 10 most powerful/influential current Pens he had Schultz at 8th. (The Athletic July 2019)

The Penguins cannot win the Cup without Malkin playing at or near his customary level of excellence. More than even a winger, Malkin needs a defensemen who can get him the puck when and were he likes it. Schultz is that defenseman because Letang’s pairing regularly plays with Crosby’s top line.
Schultz is comfortable in Pittsburgh. He is wanted by the Penguins.
But he did already pass once on the chance to sign a longer-term contract to stay. The Penguins plan to give him another opportunity at one of those, but they’ll likely do it at a cap hit that falls under the $7 million an offensive catalyst such as Schultz could command in free agency.“

Reactions: NEPA

Sideline

May 23, 2004

If John Gibson is a 6.4MM ticket I don't see how Murray can argue for anything with a 7 in front.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Schultz at all has the leverage to ask for $7 million in free agency, when Justin Faulk got $6.5 million this year. I could see Schultz getting the same contract as Tyler Myers, but there's no way he's getting way more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Florida gave bob 10 mil so there is arguments the other way unfortunately

Bob was a UFA with multiple Vezinas, though. Murray needs to have a great season to even have an argument at making more than $7 million, right now he doesn't even deserve what Gibson got.

Murray is basically comparable to Hellebuyck if Hellebuyck had 2 cups. Hellebuyck is at a shade under $6.2 million, I have a really hard time seeing Murray having a legit case for much more.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If John Gibson is a 6.4MM ticket I don't see how Murray can argue for anything with a 7 in front.

RFAs are no longer basing their wage demands on contracts signed a couple of years ago; not with the shift of understanding on when their most valuable years are and the rising cap. Gibson's cap hit will have about as much impact on Murray's demands as MacKinnon's did on Guentzel's, if not less.

The biggest factor in terms of what Murray will ask for is his form this season anyway.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think Schultz at all has the leverage to ask for $7 million in free agency, when Justin Faulk got $6.5 million this year. I could see Schultz getting the same contract as Tyler Myers, but there's no way he's getting way more.

Schultz has a couple cups that neither of them have. Schultz being a RHS RD is "the" most sought after commodities. Someone will give it to him.

If he feels comfortable here 6.0/6.5 might be the end result, but free agency? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad