Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - What Comes Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I would probably sign Murray to a 6 x 6.6 contract if I were GM only bc it is the devil’s number and it would make me seem mysterious to other GM’s around the league.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
RFAs are no longer basing their wage demands on contracts signed a couple of years ago; not with the shift of understanding on when their most valuable years are and the rising cap. Gibson's cap hit will have about as much impact on Murray's demands as MacKinnon's did on Guentzel's, if not less.

The biggest factor in terms of what Murray will ask for is his form this season anyway.

Gibson signed a year ago and is 1 year older than Murray. A 7 handle puts Murray in the top 5 for goalie cap hits. I don't see how Murray gets that kind of money as an RFA.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not a big fan of Schultz at $5.5 million. I'm gonna hate Schultz at $7 million.

I really don't see why at his current hit. You can't penalized him for getting injured or a team transitioning the wrong way. He's a steal at that cap hit. Replacing what he can do will cost more in assets and cap wise. Marino isn't there just yet to replacing Schultz.

He's only 29. There's 4/5 years of solid play left in him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only thing I'm concerned about moving forward with regards to Murray is his ability to stay healthy. He's a great goalie. His ability to stay healthy for a full season plus playoffs worries me a bit.

But, we don't really have a choice. Goalie is not a position you can really afford to mess with--ask the Flyers. Not saying we need to pay him Bob-money or something, but whatever market value is for a goalie that's pretty reasonably in the top-10 in the NHL when healthy.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really don't see why at his current hit. You can't penalized him for getting injured or a team transitioning the wrong way. He's a steal at that cap hit. Replacing what he can do will cost more in assets and cap wise. Marino isn't there just yet to replacing Schultz.

Oh, I'm not advocating Marino being his replacement or anything. I just think we need someone much better and consistent than Schultz, particularly with Letang's deal being up in 2+ years, and the odds that injuries/age force him to walk away from the game by then are pretty high. I don't want Schultz to be his heir apparent. Schultz is entirely too guilty of ghosting for long periods of time, and he's not good enough offensively or defensively to command Letang-money, imo. Even if we're several years removed from when 58 signed and the cap has gone up a bunch.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Schultz has a couple cups that neither of them have. Schultz being a RHS RD is "the" most sought after commodities. Someone will give it to him.

If he feels comfortable here 6.0/6.5 might be the end result, but free agency? No.

That's not how this actually works, though. I don't know why people overrate the impact of being on a cup team. Him being on a cup team 3 years ago isn't going to make teams get stupid and way overpay him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh, I'm not advocating Marino being his replacement or anything. I just think we need someone much better and consistent than Schultz, particularly with Letang's deal being up in 2+ years, and the odds that injuries/age force him to walk away from the game by then are pretty high. I don't want Schultz to be his heir apparent. Schultz is entirely too guilty of ghosting for long periods of time, and he's not good enough offensively or defensively to command Letang-money, imo. Even if we're several years removed from when 58 signed and the cap has gone up a bunch.

When Letang was out Schultz went through the roof. A healthy Schultz shouldn't be a worry at all. He's literally blocked by Letang to be what you want. No. he's not a #1 D-man by any stretch, but he is a serviceable #1 offensive threat.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
JR can fleece Anaheim like no other. Would anyone trade Murray for Gibson?

....I dunno. Gibson has helped keep a generally pathetic Ducks in it.

Murray has been very solid on a generally very good team.

If the COST was the same, yeah, maybe I would try it.Maybe. I dunno.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
....I dunno. Gibson has helped keep a generally pathetic Ducks in it.

Murray has been very solid on a generally very good team.

If the COST was the same, yeah, maybe I would try it.Maybe. I dunno.

Probably stick with what you know works. On the Pens team goalies can get hung out to dry sometimes. We take bigger risks going forward, when they don’t work a lot can be left on the goalie. Also during our complacency stretches guys don’t push back hard enough. Murray’s seen it all and generally been good when he hasn’t had to play through bad injury or devastating family loss.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's not how this actually works, though. I don't know why people overrate the impact of being on a cup team. Him being on a cup team 3 years ago isn't going to make teams get stupid and way overpay him.

Cap rising, supply and demand, pedigree, experience, age and countless more.

Schultz is literally being undervalued here because you don't want to pay him what he's worth.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Gibson has been a much better goalie todate than Murray...Murray is an average goaltender...what his stats show since his great POs of 2-3 years ago is that he’s not consistent.. he has weird games where he loses focus or confidence or positioning or whatever you want to call it...his body of work when healthy the last couple years is strange: from amazing goaltending to letting in strange soft goals at the worst time...Gibson has been much more consistent...I’d absolutely trade Murr for Gibson if ANA was that dumb....

Unless Murray turns in a consistent performance this season, I’m not in favor of signing him long term...I’d take him to arbitration on a 2-year deal...rn he’s getting outplayed by Jarry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

We literally have examples of RD getting less than what you're saying. Why is Tyler Myers only getting $6 million long term if what you're saying is true? Why did Faulk only get $6.5 million?

Schultz is literally being undervalued here because you don't want to pay him what he's worth.

No, you're just overvaluing him because you're not paying attention to what these guys actually get paid.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I think this season will have a big bearing on what he’s worth (or the maximum we should pay him).

Whether they line up with what our or any other GM pays who knows? We’ll find out. Schultz normally has pretty good contract years so that’s good news in terms of the cup run potentially bad news when it comes to the cap but lots of moving parts to that equation.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Gibson signed a year ago and is 1 year older than Murray. A 7 handle puts Murray in the top 5 for goalie cap hits. I don't see how Murray gets that kind of money as an RFA.

And in the space of that year RFA payments have changed. If Gibson had waited until this summer and gone for the max he could he'd have got a million or so more imo.

Also Murray won't be in the top 5 for goalie hits next season with something beginning with 7. Hell, I doubt he'd be in there with something beginning with 8, because Vasilevskiy moves onto a 9m contract next season and Holtby will get that in free agency if he wants it.

If Schultz is replaced internally in terms of his OFD role, it'll be by Pettersson, not Marino, with Marino acting more as Pettersson's Ian Cole.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just feel like I need to write it over and over again. DO NOT move Rust for the sake of moving Rust. I think RUsty is going to thrive with the current play of the Pens. I think he's going to be amazing.

We got rid of a huge 4m. We have JJ left to move and Bjugs is movable now since he is not really needed. If we get rid of even ONE of those guys, we can bring a scorer in because personally I think we could really use a goal scorer winger. And it gives us money to pay who we need to pay. That is monster stuff.

Once again - baby steps. Sadly this buys a lot more time for JJ. Bjugs is easily movable, IMO. I think we are fine. We are moving back in the right place and it's all due to a few guys who are delivering when we needed it the most - Laff & Marino.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Schultz will be 3 years older than Faulk when he signs his contract. Also right now the market is flooded with fa defensemen next offseason. That will change over the course of the year but a 30 year old justin shultz is not going to get long term 7million.

Im guessing he gets something like 5avv x 6yrs or 6avv x 5yrs. Both coming out at 30million. Idk if it will be the pens who give him that or not. But I dont see much more than that. He is going to look for term over aav since this will be his last big ticket. The league is getting younger and teams dont want players over 35 anymore.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I just feel like I need to write it over and over again. DO NOT move Rust for the sake of moving Rust. I think RUsty is going to thrive with the current play of the Pens. I think he's going to be amazing.

We got rid of a huge 4m. We have JJ left to move and Bjugs is movable now since he is not really needed. If we get rid of even ONE of those guys, we can bring a scorer in because personally I think we could really use a goal scorer winger. And it gives us money to pay who we need to pay. That is monster stuff.

Once again - baby steps. Sadly this buys a lot more time for JJ. Bjugs is easily movable, IMO. I think we are fine. We are moving back in the right place and it's all due to a few guys who are delivering when we needed it the most - Laff & Marino.

I imagine JR keeps Bjugstad for now to see how things play out with multiple players. I don’t think he’ll be in a rush now with the cap in a much better spot. Which is probably the right move as it’s very early in the season. Unless someone offers up a crazy good trade.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Uhm. John Gibson is probably the league's best goaltender. He's certainly top 5 and he's on a long term sweetheart contract. Asking whether I'd trade Murray for Gibson is like asking if I'd trade Guentzel for MacKinnon - I'd do it in a heartbeat if you can just find the heavily compromising blackmail material needed for it to happen.

p.s. @ColePens - Are you happy that McCann/Blueger could be our main 3C options for the rest of the season?

Ludwig120

Jun 15, 2019
What’s this weird obsession with wanting to trade Murray instead of paying him currently be careful what you wish for if you trade him

Reactions: Riptide

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We literally have examples of RD getting less than what you're saying. Why is Tyler Myers only getting $6 million long term if what you're saying is true? Why did Faulk only get $6.5 million?

No, you're just overvaluing him because you're not paying attention to what these guys actually get paid.

And you are not looking at what they have been doing.

Schultz>>>>Tyler Mylers
Schultz = Justin Faulk but Faulk doesn't have the later success Schultz does.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Uhm. John Gibson is probably the league's best goaltender. He's certainly top 5 and he's on a long term sweetheart contract. Asking whether I'd trade Murray for Gibson is like asking if I'd trade Guentzel for MacKinnon - I'd do it in a heartbeat if you can just find the heavily compromising blackmail material needed for it to happen.

p.s. @ColePens - Are you happy that McCann/Blueger could be our main 3C options for the rest of the season?

I'm completely content with that only because L4 is going to be great, too. We don't have to rush it, by any means, but we just don't need Bjugs.

I think everyone who is saying be patient and just let it all unfold are definitely correct. But i've seen more out of not having Bjugs in the lineup than having him in the lineup. The tenacity level is beyond amazing. And bjugs isn't dominating points to negate that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Indeed.

I'd generally be careful with their cap situation but finding a way to swing for a legit threat up front is something I'd love to see. I think they are way too anemic when it comes to scoring punch.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad