Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - What Comes Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Yeah we are set up for both. Doesn't make us a top contender(we will find that out in months seeing how these guys gel) but obviously the goal. While being able to continue to improve each year. Whether thats getting production from guy's on ELCs and re-signing our own. or using some as assets to replace players that aren't a fit(will be nice to eventually get off this merry - go - round tho) or straight up hockey trades. We'll see.

Def still need some duo's to gel like Alex/Geno....McCann to step up. If Bjugstad can't produce good enough to stick at 3C then trade him with McCann replacing...theres def alot of ifs still.

But getting healthy was the first step. And just cleared 4mil and a dman so now we can start judging this team throughout November...into December. Giving us a much better idea.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
what? JJ has somehow been worse than last season

One at a time man. They all gotta go at some point and P-O will be here soon'ish.

It started last season with JJ, Olli and Rig needing to get gone. He somehow added Guds to the list but is now only down to JJ...

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have time to see what is what to the TDL. GMJR has much of the roster done but need to see if Galchenyuk and Bjugstad are real deals at their respective positions.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm really intrigued by the idea of Sami Vatanen. Not doing particularly well in New Jersey right now, but then again no one is, but I wonder if he could be a mid-season addition. Perhaps even then look to move Schultz if his play continues to be blah...perhaps a 1:1.

Reactions: NEPA

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pens have time to see what is what to the TDL. GMJR has much of the roster done but need to see if Galchenyuk and Bjugstad are real deals at their respective positions.

You know, I was just thinking about those two. I joked earlier about Bjugs and ZAR for Zucker, but I wonder if JR would deal Bjugs and Galchenyuk together or separately, especially if he could get a north-south Zucker type for Geno's wing.

One way to insure Geno plays north-south is to put him with two north-south guys. Like Kunitz-Rust during the 2016 playoffs. Or Hags-Horny in 2018.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Besides those two players meeting expectations, Malkin could be either the player that adjusts to what he needs to do with in the framework of the system or not. Sid looks to be driven to win after last years go through the motions year. GMJR and sully were pissed and they are not fooling around here. Play hard with focus and smarts and wins will come.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Besides those two players meeting expectations, Malkin could be either the player that adjusts to what he needs to do with in the framework of the system or not. Sid looks to be driven to win after last years go through the motions year. GMJR and sully were pissed and they are not fooling around here. Play hard with focus and smarts and wins will come.

I hope you weren't trying to sell me on that idealized version of JR. :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you're saying Guds have positive value, I will never swallow that.

How about now? I'm not going to claim he fetched anything special, and to be honest I was a little surprised that's all they got... but that is technically positive value. He cost us nothing to move and brought back at least one, if marginal asset while shedding 4m in cap space.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Did a quick look at Arm-Chair GM and with Trotman gone down with AJ, Blandisi, Lafferty down gives you a 23-man with 3.14375M in space.

An additional Ruh or Riiko down would give you a 22-man with between 3.84375-3.99375M in space.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm probably in the minority by a long shot, but I still want to see us move Schultz at the deadline. He's not a make-or-break guy with regard to our chances at legit contention this season, and he's absolutely going to walk this summer (imo). Get a big return for him from a desperate team at the deadline.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Did a quick look at Arm-Chair GM and with Trotman gone down with AJ, Blandisi, Lafferty down gives you a 23-man with 3.14375M in space.

An additional Ruh or Riiko down would give you a 22-man with between 3.84375-3.99375M in space.

Rutherford on a 3 way call for better or worse

GettyImages-102418263.0.jpg

Jerry%2BMaguire%2BGIF-downsized_large.gif

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR wasn't happy with the effort last year and Sully with a new 4 year deal wants what he wants. GMJR sees the need for youth, speed and guys who compete. Tanev is all about two way play. Kessel's time had expired and said so two years ago. His salary was actually favorable with three years remaining and while Galchenyuk was a bad player defensibly, he certainly knows that Sully wants the players to be responsible defensively.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Would Leafs ever trade Barrie to Pens for Schultz(50% retained) and other things? No idea what other things would be, probably something pretty big I would guess.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Would Leafs ever trade Barrie to Pens for Schultz(50% retained) and other things? No idea what other things would be, probably something pretty big I would guess.

Theres really no reason for them to do that. Barrie is better than Schultz and both are FAs at the end of the season. If Schultz was signed to a good deal then maybe they would listen.

Reactions: Riptide

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I feel like Schultz isn't nearly as dynamic as he used to be. The shot isn't as good, the skating isn't as good, and whatever physicality he did have, is gone. Maybe it was the leg injury that set him back. Maybe it wasn't.

To me he's a guy who will get 1 more short NHL contract, and then maybe a "tryout" contract after that. I have a hard time seeing him in the league in 4 or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad