Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Trade Me If You Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would like to acquire Roslovic as a future Rust replacement for the top-6, but I wouldn't play Roslovic over Rust in the top-6 unless Rust keeps playing really poorly.

But I guess at the same time, McCann-Jankowski-Rust is a legit 3rd line and Roslovic does bring some playmaking to the 2nd line with Malkin and Zucker.

There's worse ideas, yeah. Or slide Rust up to Sid's line and put Kapanen on the third. Whatever works in terms of form and fit. But if Roslovic really has the talent for the role, I think there's an argument for using him based on chemistry things.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's worse ideas, yeah. Or slide Rust up to Sid's line and put Kapanen on the third. Whatever works in terms of form and fit. But if Roslovic really has the talent for the role, I think there's an argument for using him based on chemistry things.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'd definitely push Rust to the 3rd line over Kapanen.

I also think it's worth pointing out that in this case, Kapanen and Roslovic would be their "future" in their top-6, while Rust is fair game to be traded after the season. Not sure that you should heavily be influencing roster decisions based on that, but it may be worth considering as well.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do love me some Rust but I feel like I can never quite get a handle on what to think of the guy.

I suspect that he's good but not great and has been at least somewhat the beneficiary of playing with some terrific talent the majority of his time here.

Gonna be interesting to see how his season goes. As of now their RW scoring depth looks poopy.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think giving him a look in the top 6 means his name is etched in stone forever. As long as you give him a good faith look there, he can't complain if he gets demoted to L3 if it doesn't work. If he does, dump him. If it works out, great, having Kap or Rust on L3 would be awesome and really bolster the secondary scoring.

The bigger hurdle IMO is what it takes to get him out of Winnipeg.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would like to propose a theory that Rust is victim of a paradox where the more he tries to play like a skillful and creative player, the more he looks like he should be just a third line grinder, and the more he just goes for chaos and straight to the net like a third line grinder, the more opportunities open up where he actually plays like a genuinely skillful and creative player.

As such, sometimes he gets confused about his identity, and I think this is one of these times.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would like to propose a theory that Rust is victim of a paradox where the more he tries to play like a skillful and creative player, the more he looks like he should be just a third line grinder, and the more he just goes for chaos and straight to the net like a third line grinder, the more opportunities open up where he actually plays like a genuinely skillful and creative player.

As such, sometimes he gets confused about his identity, and I think this is one of these times.

I agree. I can’t remember him getting a shot the last few games.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
zucker - crosby - kap
guentzel - malkin - tanev
mccann - jank - rust
erod - blueger - sceviour

Wait patiently until the trade deadline to get a play making D. Trade Letang next year and pick up Hamilton.
Guentzel-Malkin-Tanev has potential to be one of my favorite lines ever.

Zucker has looked decent, but he’s just not gelling with how Geno plays.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I know it won't happen, but I think we need to try:

Zucker Crosby Kap
Guentzel Geno Rust
McCann Jank Tanev
That lineup is extremely obvious to everyone, especially the Guentzel / Zucker swap. Sid likes Jake though, and Sully had a front row seat to watch the Sid/Jake show lead us to victory in the 2017 cup, followed by almost single handedly willing us past the eventual cup winning 2018 Caps. They were absurdly productive in that series but the rest of the team sucked. I can understand his desire to give that pair every possible change to discover the magic again. He can't wait forever though. Guentzel - Malkin - Rust was dynamite last year when Sid went down, and we know Zucker is good with Sid, so eventually, we hope, Sully will come around and put the lineup you have above together.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Basically,I agree...all this means is he needs to stop thinking and work on instinct...

Reactions: Peat

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I would like to acquire Roslovic as a future Rust replacement for the top-6, but I wouldn't play Roslovic over Rust in the top-6 unless Rust keeps playing really poorly.

But I guess at the same time, McCann-Jankowski-Rust is a legit 3rd line and Roslovic does bring some playmaking to the 2nd line with Malkin and Zucker.
Where would be Tanev then??

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I know it won't happen, but I think we need to try:

Zucker Crosby Kap
Guentzel Geno Rust
McCann Jank Tanev

I think almost all of us want this. I posted the same combo just a few days ago. Sullivan is really starting to irritate me. Keeping Rodriguez on that top line last night was unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad