Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Shake off the Rust, Malkin our way to the season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Too lazy to quote.

Giving TB away in an expansion draft is bad asset management.
Last year he showed he could be a pos 3. New season let's see him repeat it.

Also as a fan of Tanevs game his contract essentially makes him almost unpickable.
Why would we protect that?

Its a simple answer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Too lazy to quote.

Giving TB away in an expansion draft is bad asset management.
Last year he showed he could be a pos 3. New season let's see him repeat it.

Also as a fan of Tanevs game his contract essentially makes him almost unpickable.
Why would we protect that?

Its a simple answer.
If it came to protecting Tanev or Blueger, it’s a no brainer for me - You protect Blue.

So this team is probably going to protect Tanev.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If DeSmith can be traded we’d likely save money on a new G
So, downgrade on our back up goalie? Well, if we did get someone cheaper that yes, would be pinching pennies.

I wouldn't try to move him, I'm not sure what interest he'd garner but no available goalie looks all that enticing to me. If we really needed to save money however signing Ceci makes no sense at all. We already had seven NHL caliber defenders under contract.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
summary: we won’t be all that good and will miss the POs, and our future doesn’t look very good because we don’t have a young core of up and coming players...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So, downgrade on our back up goalie? Well, if we did get someone cheaper that yes, would be pinching pennies.

I wouldn't try to move him, I'm not sure what interest he'd garner but no available goalie looks all that enticing to me. If we really needed to save money however signing Ceci makes no sense at all. We already had seven NHL caliber defenders under contract.

Cheaper doesn’t mean downgrade.

JR isn’t moving Ceci

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cheaper doesn’t mean downgrade.

JR isn’t moving Ceci
I know he's not moving Ceci. Never suggested he would. We shouldn't have signed him, period. And the guys listed as far as goalies go aren't any I'd want as a back up. I'm happy with our current tandem to start the season (if there is a season).

Reactions: Jobeycool

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
summary: we won’t be all that good and will miss the POs, and our future doesn’t look very good because we don’t have a young core of up and coming players...

Lol that guy lists Matheson and Kapanen as a part of the "Penguins core 6" while not including Letang and one of Crosby or Malkin.

Yeah, he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean I'm really not surprised a bunch of "experts" are down on the Penguins, seeing how:

1. They've sucked in the playoffs for the last few years, and that's the only time a majority of these "experts" see the Penguins.
2. The Penguins supporting cast has been underrated for years
3. People have been screaming about the "demise of the Penguins" for years

It's really not hard to guess why some are down on the Penguins when some believe the Penguins are only Crosby, Malkin and Letang with no youth. And hell, I may be being too generous to those "experts" to include Letang there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Our future certainly doesn't look good. As far as this upcoming season (if there is one) we needed to do more in the bottom six . Unless someone really jumps up and plays over their pay grade this is a very unremarkable group of players.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol that guy lists Matheson and Kapanen as a part of the "Penguins core 6" while not including Letang and one of Crosby or Malkin.

Yeah, he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

No, he’s doing that purposefully...his “core 6” is defined as players age 26 or younger...it’s like an upcoming core

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, he’s doing that purposefully...his “core 6” is defined as players age 26 or younger...it’s like an upcoming core
Even so, Once Sid and Geno fall a part, or stop playing, we're toast! We don't even have a good center prospect. Which is why from here on in we need to start holding onto our draft picks. And maybe in a couple seasons start to sell off guys like Jake to get a big return in picks and/or prospects.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As of right now I take Teddy. But if McCann is a 35 pt guy and Teddy is a 20 pt guy next year I probably choose McCann or trade him before exposing him.
It's a short season. McCann is better as a winger right now than he is as a C. In a shorter season I'm going with a natural C that has played like one in wbs and the big club over McCann.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
McCann is a natural C and has been one in the NHL for five years despite where your boy Mike Sullivan decides to play him.

il_570xN.858542169_nh92.jpg

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I know he's not moving Ceci. Never suggested he would. We shouldn't have signed him, period. And the guys listed as far as goalies go aren't any I'd want as a back up. I'm happy with our current tandem to start the season (if there is a season).
I think we need to draft nothing but youth again and start using are youth.No more trading away draft picks.Also agree Ceci wasted deal ... should have never signed Him.

Reactions: Ryder71

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McCann is a natural C and has been one in the NHL for five years despite where your boy Mike Sullivan decides to play him.
Mate you don't need to tell me about McCann, remember, I was a fan of his as a prospect and even when he played for this local Cansuckies team. He was someone I mentioned to get for the bottom 6 before JR got him and Tjurdstad. But his time as a Penguin has been LW/C and his shutdown game isn't up to par enough for me to rely on that 3rd line to be solid at both ends. I think people forget, while ZAR and Tanev were solid 2-way wingers, Blueger is also why that line was great, it starts with a strong pivot. I like McCann as a 3c option maybe, but not more than how good Blueger is at his 2-way game and his offense with 26pts prorated to a full season with hard defensive zone coverage with less restrictions as a 3C, I think he would thrive. I would rather get that sense NOW and protect him knowing we have a 3c in him, than not.

I like both as C's for sure. But for the 3c and 3rd line, I have always liked the idea of - McCann, Blueger, Tanev far more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Mate you don't need to tell me about McCann, remember, I was a fan of his as a prospect and even when he played for this local Cansuckies team. He was someone I mentioned to get for the bottom 6 before JR got him and Tjurdstad. But his time as a Penguin has been LW/C and his shutdown game isn't up to par enough for me to rely on that 3rd line to be solid at both ends. I think people forget, while ZAR and Tanev were solid 2-way wingers, Blueger is also why that line was great, it starts with a strong pivot. I like McCann as a 3c option maybe, but not more than how good Blueger is at his 2-way game and his offense with 26pts prorated to a full season with hard defensive zone coverage with less restrictions as a 3C, I think he would thrive. I would rather get that sense NOW and protect him knowing we have a 3c in him, than not.

I like both as C's for sure. But for the 3c and 3rd line, I have always liked the idea of - McCann, Blueger, Tanev far more.

McCann drives defense better than Bleuger analytically and Bleuger’s game defensively was tied to ZAR.

I think the reality is McCann has been cast as a wing since acquired for god knows what reason because he’s generally been awful there. Would seem to be something you can actually criticize Sullivan for with hard evidence considering McCann was playing great at C then when he was moved to W with Sid / Malkin his game fell completely apart.

Jared McCann 2019-20 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

After 1/12 he was put on wing. Look at what happened to his game from there compared to the ten games prior. They put him back at C on 2/18 and he immediately starts producing again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Donkey balls mate.

If JR doesn't move any more prospects for stupid ass moves unless it's for blokes under the age of 25, I like the chances of some of the lads we have. But the issue for me is the utilization of these prospects, I have absolutely zero faith in Sullivan with using them and I pray Vellucci and Reirden have a loud enough voice where they force the youth into better situations. I think Reirden being a recent HC might help, but who knows how Vellucci is, I have no real understanding of his coaching style, if he's someone that is outspoken, etc.

But the prospects, if we actually develop and use them, we have a decent enough pool.

Poulin
Legare
Maniscalco
Oliver-Joseph
Zohorna
Lee
O'Connor
Drozg
Reilly
Almari
Bjorkqvist - I still have hope for him, he's been healthy so far, has 10pts in 18 games in Liiga, has that hard nosed hard work type of game to him.
Gruden
Then there's the recent picks...
Blomqvist
Clang
Svejkovsky is a super long shot
Caulfield is in colleg
Puustinen has been rocking it in Europe
Airola's name is something some wankers here still giggle hearing.

The issue is people want them all to be home run reach full potential types. I think if a lot of these blokes can fill roles in some form or another, I am happy with it.

But you need to see them in opportunities. The fact that JR still signed Riikola is nice, but knowing how that f***ing piece of shit :eek::eek::eek::eek: Sullivan has used him, makes it frustrating to see options we could have that are cheaper, not even given a shot. If Riikola had played over Johnson last season and developed, we could have seen how good he really was, this off season, maybe JR does that Horny deal for Matheson, but he then moves Pettersson for a top 9 winger and Riikola is kept as the 3rd pairing LD and they sign a vet RHD.

It's why I feel a ton of the issues aren't just JR, if your coach keeps using prospects like a f***ing moron and prefers vets, what else do you do?

Like I guarantee if Sully was more inclined to use Angello and Lafferty in the line-up, we probably don't even sign Jankowski or bring back Rodrigues or keep Sceviour in that deal. JR is still a part of the problem, but Sullivan will always be a bigger one.

Reactions: Khelandros
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad