Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Shake off the Rust, Malkin our way to the season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Aside from Craig Smith, I can’t think of a wing I’d want in UFA.
Dadonov, Hoffman (depending on the price), Granlund (RW), Duclair, Smith, Toffoli, Fast, Namestnikov.

There are still a couple of unsigned guys better than most of the trash we will have in our bottom six (excluding McCann and maybe Blueger).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Remember when we couldn’t afford Haula so we signed Jankowski? Good times.
Good ole Jank the Wank and Ceci the Feces.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sure but with our current centers, we are totally screwed when Malkin goes out for his annual 15-20 games. Haula would have given you that protection to play 2C and if he can play wing, even better. And of course we still have McCann and Blueger so why not all 3?

I’m not over the moon mad or anything, but JR keeps doing his thing in free agency by jumping on mediocre talent to get “his guy” and then better players are available for deals later on.

Well, cap space allocation and roster spots--yeah, they kinda are.

Not that I'm bent outta shape about it. Obviously Jankowski pales in comparison to Haula in a head to head, but Jankowski should be a fine enough 4C and it allows us to give TB the long look he deserves at 3C to judge whether that roster spot is filled moving forward or if TB is nothing more than a very good 4C and we have to keep searching for that 3rd pivot.

Jankowski/Rodrigues aren't the reason Haula's not here. They're min wage and internal real dollar cap aside, could be vanished in a heart beat if needed. Rutherford going for them early has nothing to do with not getting Haula.

Sceviour/Riikola/Ceci are kinda reasons, in that if they're min wage players instead you can fit Haula in for the exact same dollars, although we don't know if the Florida deal could be done without Sceviour (I presume so? But don't know) and Riikola/Ceci aren't exactly enough to bring in Haula, and you've got to assume Haula costs a little more due to the tax rates, and etc.etc. so maybe they're reasons and maybe they're not.

The real reasons we don't have Haula - or Soderberg, or Wennberg, or whoever - are guys like Kapanen and McCann. Mid-market guys taking up a decent chunk of change (although you got to consider both are on reasonably small number of dollars today). Take them out of the equation and all of a sudden it's easy to get a couple of guys like Haula etc.etc. There's an argument that maybe we should have done that, but that's what we've got to talk. Not Jankowski, because once you've spent the money on guys like Kapanen and McCann, that's pretty much all you can do.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's still absurd to me that we went out and got Ceci. Bitch about whoever we did or didn't sign all you want, but the Ceci thing is f***ing mind-boggling. :laugh:

JR just can't help himself from being an absolute schmuck.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dadonov, Hoffman (depending on the price), Granlund (RW), Duclair, Smith, Toffoli, Fast, Namestnikov.

There are still a couple of unsigned guys better than most of the trash we will have in our bottom six (excluding McCann and maybe Blueger).
Granlunds price put him out of reach for us but I'm sure you'll find a reason to winge about on that one anyway, same for Dadonov.

Duclair is a f***ing tit.

Toffoli isn't a fit at all and you still don't get it.
Fast I wished for but it'd be more of the Tanev type. Smith? Again, 3m is out of the price range.

Namestnikov? Possibly. But he's likely playing top 6 in Detroit and you only sign there if that's your goal at this point.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

So basically swap out Kapanen and put one of those guys in the top six as @Peat alludes to.

I dunno. Seems like a marginal difference at best and I think a lot of the fan base would’ve buried those decisions as well especially considering every player besides Smith and Toffoli is a left shot.

Smith upsets me. I could give a shit about Toffoli who I think has gotten massively overrated around here and I think you should trust @Honour Over Glory and I because we watch him a ton being on the west.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jankowski/Rodrigues aren't the reason Haula's not here. They're min wage and internal real dollar cap aside, could be vanished in a heart beat if needed. Rutherford going for them early has nothing to do with not getting Haula.

Sceviour/Riikola/Ceci are kinda reasons, in that if they're min wage players instead you can fit Haula in for the exact same dollars, although we don't know if the Florida deal could be done without Sceviour (I presume so? But don't know) and Riikola/Ceci aren't exactly enough to bring in Haula, and you've got to assume Haula costs a little more due to the tax rates, and etc.etc. so maybe they're reasons and maybe they're not.

The real reasons we don't have Haula - or Soderberg, or Wennberg, or whoever - are guys like Kapanen and McCann. Mid-market guys taking up a decent chunk of change (although you got to consider both are on reasonably small number of dollars today). Take them out of the equation and all of a sudden it's easy to get a couple of guys like Haula etc.etc. There's an argument that maybe we should have done that, but that's what we've got to talk. Not Jankowski, because once you've spent the money on guys like Kapanen and McCann, that's pretty much all you can do.

Yeah, it really all circles back to McCann.

If he isn’t playing C, I have no idea why we keep him around. He isn’t an effective winger and he costs too much for what he brings which is bottom six offense.

Tanev - Bleuger - Smith
ZAR - Jankowski - Sceviour

Looks a lot more fleshed out then what we have right now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I totally disagree with this sentiment. The money and the cap was there, I just view it as poor allocation of those funds. Ceci and Jankowski were not needed here. Honestly I think you're putting too fine a point on the matter. We could have had better quality at a similar price.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I liked Fast and Namestikov quite a bit. I like Hino, I liked Kahun (both of which went for under a million). Haula, Soderberg etc. I wasn't overly enamored with Sheary, but for 735k.? The thing that I find fascinating is in just how quick we signed ERod and Janko, Kinda surprising they'd sign here and so quickly after free agency started. I mean why would they even want to come here. Pittsburgh-Worst place on earth!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, what was supposed to be a cheap deal for Riikola turned out to be pretty expensive for a guy who probably doesn't play more than 20 games this season. Between that and committing hard to McCann sorta eliminated any real chance at the Haulas, the Granlunds, the Smiths, the Fasts.

Well, those two guys and the absurd addition of Ceci. :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
cap space.

Jankowski takes a roster spot at league minimum. Someone would be taking that spot no matter what so cap space isn’t the issue with him because of that.

In fact it’s probably better for cap space that he was signed if he is going to be on the roster.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->