Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Shake off the Rust, Malkin our way to the season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't hate DeSmith or anything but it's a tad bonkers to me that we're realistically talking about trading him to save money... Chad DeSmith. Who nobody likely knows outside of Pittsburgh likely even in hockey circles. JR is truly a master negotiator.

I think every dollar will count this season. I don't believe the AHL has an escrow agreement either so sending players down mean they'll be 20% more costly for dollars (Escrow is 20% this season). So GM's might not have as much motivation to send guys down. I guess that'll limit any DeSmith trade because teams would genuinely need a back up and not fighting it out with another guy who's on a one way contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe mixing up Chad Johnson and Casey Desmith?

No I'm just uncaffeinated today. That's the only excuse I can think of. Sometimes I'm just kinda dumb, I guess. But unflaggingly honest at least ha.

If I'm going to blank on a player's name it's definitely going to be the goaltender.

Really it's just me taking notes from my favorite player -- Evgeni Malkin.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
No I'm just uncaffeinated today. That's the only excuse I can think of. Sometimes I'm just kinda dumb, I guess. But unflaggingly honest at least ha.

If I'm going to blank on a player's name it's definitely going to be the goaltender.

Really it's just me taking notes from my favorite player -- Evgeni Malkin.

You need some Coffey then

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Thank you, @Tom Hanks !

giphy.gif

No problem. I like coming up with stupid thread titles so it's not completely selfless :laugh:

Was a little disappointed with this one but my pug is keeping me tired. He needs an eye drop every 4 hours (including overnight)

Reactions: ColePens

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Atleast one other fanbase knows who DeSmith is. For like a month last season Leafs fans couldn’t stop telling us they were getting DeSmith for a 5th.

Actually thinking more about it they might have actually been saying that about Jarry:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Just saw yet another Rossi / Yohe “expansion draft” where we are exposing Bleuger. I still don’t get why.
Seeing someone suggesting to not protect the great Blueger must have been difficult for you.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, and like who gives a f*** if we lose Tanev a 4th line winger over our young C?
Because JR views Blueger as a fourth liner as well. Blueger will turn 27 next summer; not exactly a young player anymore.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yea I don’t see any team trading for DeSmith $1.25 mil cap hit for a chooch that didn’t even play in the NHL last season. No respectable team would want to have DeSmith as their back up going into the season.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Actually, DeSmith will probably be kept because of expansion draft purposes. If they can sign Anderson or Howard to a one year league minimum deal while once again burying DeSmith, that's the route I would go.

Heck, maybe they would carry 3 goalies. We don't know how the rosters work yet for this upcoming season, do we?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What about a non respectable team? ;)

:hawks
A team would trade for DeSmith if their back up gets hurt, but I don’t see any team even taking Jimmy’s calls when he starts the convo off by saying Casey DeSmith.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Actually, DeSmith will probably be kept because of expansion draft purposes. If they can sign Anderson or Howard to a one year league minimum deal while once again burying DeSmith, that's the route I would go.

Heck, maybe they would carry 3 goalies. We don't know how the rosters work yet for this upcoming season, do we?

Yeah you have to expose one goalie but that said, with how many FA goalies are out there and of all the other back ups available (and maybe even some starters...MAF?), I think CDS is pretty safe on the ED front.

Dollars wise, I don't see JR burying CDS and signing another $700k away.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah you have to expose one goalie but that said, with how many FA goalies are out there and of all the other back ups available (and maybe even some starters...MAF?), I think CDS is pretty safe on the ED front.

Not what I was getting at as I don't care if Seattle takes CDS. The Pens would need to expose an RFA goalie or a goalie that's under contract. As of right now, only Jarry and CDS meet the requirements for the Pens. If the Pens don't have CDS or another goalie that's RFA or under contract, then do they have to expose Jarry?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still want a veteran backup not named Casey DeSmith.
Yeah we all do, I would be curious about Howard but his numbers were ECHL level of bad. Craig Anderson to me looks like the kind of bloke this team “needs to rally around” which they always seem to need every year it seems. But he’s also a bloke that likely has 1 shot left and adding him as the back up to support Jarry and be a goalie that has been a #1 for a long time in this league and was close to elite at some points as well is the right kind of experience to back him up.

I was hoping for Ryan Miller but it’s well known he wants to stay on the West Coast because of family reasons, it’s why he has continued to sign in the West over going back to the East. The other options are not good at all, Cory Schneider is someone I would maybe do a camp invite for to see where his health is at and his movement, maybe get him an AHL contract as a desperate option at worst, but yeah Howard, Anderson, and Schneider (counting out Miller), I would go Andy.

Casey can go f*** off.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s weird to be so obsessed with a player of Blueger’s caliber.
It’s not obsessive at all, the issue is no one here is saying Blueger is some top 6 threat, literally saying what he actually has been playing like - that he’s a legit 3C.

It’s weird to ignore the facts and eye test that he is, just because he’s not a name you feel is big enough.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not what I was getting at as I don't care if Seattle takes CDS. The Pens would need to expose an RFA goalie or a goalie that's under contract. As of right now, only Jarry and CDS meet the requirements for the Pens. If the Pens don't have CDS or another goalie that's RFA or under contract, then do they have to expose Jarry?
I think it’d have to be Jarry...

As the rules state:
  • under contract in 2021-22, OR
  • who’s contract is expiring & is an RFA in 2020-21
So if that’s the case, I would still bury DeSmith to the AHL where 1m of his contract is buried, then you sign a veteran like Anderson for 700-800k and you’re fine. You use that POS CDS for the Expansion protection of Jarry.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So if that’s the case, I would still bury DeSmith to the AHL where 1m of his contract is buried, then you sign a veteran like Anderson for 700-800k and you’re fine. You use that POS CDS for the Expansion protection of Jarry.

Yep, pretty much what I said:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad