Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Shake off the Rust, Malkin our way to the season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I still want a veteran backup not named Casey DeSmith.

4qb1ur.jpg

Reactions: Khelandros

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Schneider signed with the Isles no?

yeah, however, like Martin, they have an agreement in principle and have been waiting to officially sign him until the Isles clear up space and sign Barzal...they’ll likely have enough once Boychuk is placed on LTIR...

I would have no problem, and think it would be smart idea, if the Pens signed Craig Anderson on the cheap for one year...he’s old but his stats were decent last year and he’d be a good insurance policy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
yeah, however, like Martin, they have an agreement in principle and have been waiting to officially sign him until the Isles clear up space and sign Barzal...they’ll likely have enough once Boychuk is placed on LTIR...

I would have no problem, and think it would be smart idea, if the Pens signed Craig Anderson on the cheap for one year...he’s old but his stats were decent last year and he’d be a good insurance policy

Yeah, I have no problem with Anderson or Howard on league minimum.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just saw yet another Rossi / Yohe “expansion draft” where we are exposing Bleuger. I still don’t get why.

Sometimes I feel like the local media hacks don't have much use for depth players that aren't ham-n-egger blue collar types. Even if that's been out of vogue in the NHL for a while. But I mean these guys don't pay attention to or likely even much care for the sport so how would they know.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I would take Mike Condon here. Still bums me out he didn't get a game. That said, I am actually quite okay with Jarry/Desmith for the time being.

Just saw yet another Rossi / Yohe “expansion draft” where we are exposing Bleuger. I still don’t get why.

7/3/1

Sid, Geno, Jake, Zucker, Rust, Kappy... Then McCann vs Bleuger. I take Bleuger.
Letang, Dumo, Petts
Jarry

As with the last ED, I imagine this year really helps determine last spots. If McCann explodes and Bleuger doesn't, easy. If it's status quo, easy - Bleuger.

I think we have a replacement for McCann. Bleuger, not so much.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would take Mike Condon here. Still bums me out he didn't get a game. That said, I am actually quite okay with Jarry/Desmith for the time being.

7/3/1

Sid, Geno, Jake, Zucker, Rust, Kappy... Then McCann vs Bleuger. I take Bleuger.
Letang, Dumo, Petts
Jarry

As with the last ED, I imagine this year really helps determine last spots. If McCann explodes and Bleuger doesn't, easy. If it's status quo, easy - Bleuger.

I think we have a replacement for McCann. Bleuger, not so much.

They keep saying we are protecting Tanev over McCann and Teddy which would be straight stupid from my end.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm happy with our goaltending Tandem. And if we're supposedly pinching pennies we can't afford one anyhow. Gotta save that money!

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'm happy with our goaltending Tandem. And if we're supposedly pinching pennies we can't afford one anyhow. Gotta save that money!

If DeSmith can be traded we’d likely save money on a new G

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't hate DeSmith or anything but it's a tad bonkers to me that we're realistically talking about trading him to save money... Chad DeSmith. Who nobody likely knows outside of Pittsburgh likely even in hockey circles. JR is truly a master negotiator.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They keep saying we are protecting Tanev over McCann and Teddy which would be straight stupid from my end.

I'll believe that when I see it. Tanev is good and certainly plays a role here for us but he is replaceable both internally and in FA. A center like McCann or Teddy, not so much. If they didn't take 2 goals with their 2nd and 3rd and we had a promising young center in the system, that may be different.

Tanev or Matheson would be attractive I would think but as I said, it depends on who does what this year. Who knows, Matheson may be revitalized and we may have to protect him over Petts...

I don't hate DeSmith or anything but it's a tad bonkers to me that we're realistically talking about trading him to save money... Chad DeSmith. Who nobody likely knows outside of Pittsburgh likely even in hockey circles. JR is truly a master negotiator.

...it's Casey.

That said, he spent the entire year in WBS last year because JR knew he'd get claimed. He also got a lot of attention on the trade front. Plenty of GMs know who Casey DeSmith is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Haha... oh god I could play that one off like I'm joking he's kind of a nobody but yeah no I'm just a yutz.

Either way he's a 1+ million dollar backup. That ain't bad but it ain't great, either.

If plenty of GMs know who he is they can have him. He's a goaltender... toss another one of the billion into the breach.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'll believe that when I see it. Tanev is good and certainly plays a role here for us but he is replaceable both internally and in FA. A center like McCann or Teddy, not so much. If they didn't take 2 goals with their 2nd and 3rd and we had a promising young center in the system, that may be different.

Tanev or Matheson would be attractive I would think but as I said, it depends on who does what this year. Who knows, Matheson may be revitalized and we may have to protect him over Petts...

...it's Casey.

That said, he spent the entire year in WBS last year because JR knew he'd get claimed. He also got a lot of attention on the trade front. Plenty of GMs know who Casey DeSmith is.

DeSmith has plenty of time to find his passport this season.

MTy4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad