Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Justin Williams would be an AMAZING add.

268x0w.jpg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
we need to stop looking to these old retreads...how did Igilna work for us? Kovy is done...if I thought we could get him for the minimum and him play 6 min on L4 and only on the PP, then fine...but you know Geno will be asking for him on his line...and then if he sucks, which more likely than not will be the case, there’s going to be tension there...worst way to ruin a tight knit club...

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You're going to be waiving a better player than Kovalchuk if you sign him. Are you okay with Kovalchuk on Malkin's line? Because that's probably what you're going to get.

Do I get to see footage of Sullivan finding out Kovalchuk got signed and then about someone being waived? Get a Sully-Kovy cam. It might be worth it. I think he’d suck and Sullivan would hate him.

I think Lafferty could go down and they wouldn’t have to waive anyone until they’re healthy. So never.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
we need to stop looking to these old retreads...how did Igilna work for us? Kovy is done...if I thought we could get for him the minimum and him play 6 min on L4 and only on the PP, then fine...but you know Geno will be asking for him on his line...and then if he sucks, which more likely than not will be the case, there’s going to be tension there...worst way to ruin a tight knit club...

Matt Cullen #neverforget

* I don’t want Kovy though

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I assume Galchenyuk would be moved out to make room.

That being said if Williams it available I’m all over that first.

That doesn't make room, because Galchenyuk is already not going to be playing when they're healthy. Signing Kovalchuk likely pushes Lafferty into the AHL and Simon out of a full time roster spot. Considering how **** Kovalchuk is at this point, that's not a positive trade-off.

Reactions: Riptide

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I bet Malkin would be happy about that. Trade Kessel, who's a defensively suspect player who was slightly past his prime, and give him Kovalchuk, who's a defensively suspect player who's a shell of his former self.
I'm gonna admit I haven't seen much of him this year. So he's been bad or is it a product of the team he's on?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Easy pass on Kovalchuk, he should go back to the KHL. Not sure about Williams, he's not played hockey in a while but since we will never be healthy it can't hurt? 1 year 1M.

DAD!!!! version 2.0.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm gonna admit I haven't seen much of him this year. So he's been bad or is it a product of the team he's on?

He's heinously bad in terms of shot suppression and shot generation, that is the correct word to describe him:

I don't know that he's necessarily "slow", but he's for sure bad defensively, gives terrible analytical results and plays super soft. He's basically the antithesis of Penguins hockey.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Guessing Carolina would sign Williams even if they didn't want to if they could stop the Penguins from getting him.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
He’s bad...
This...but from the Pens perspective...

Boston should not try to go after Ilya Kovalchuk.

Pens need to stay clear of the 30+ players...
He's heinously bad in terms of shot suppression and shot generation, that is the correct word to describe him:

I don't know that he's necessarily "slow", but he's for sure bad defensively, gives terrible analytical results and plays super soft. He's basically the antithesis of Penguins hockey.

Well then maybe it's Williams we should go after... or just stay put.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's the thing with Kovalchuk. In theory, his shot is exactly what the top powerplay unit needs. It's an absolute rocket, it's a 1-timer that would be the best of any Penguin from the left half-wall during the Crosby era, even better than Iginla's. He's not a bad skater, but I can't tell if he's just average speed on a slow team or if he's actually a good skater. I'd be willing to bet it's the former, though. The issue is that's where the positives end. If you get Kovalchuk, you're getting as pure of a triggerman as you can possibly get in the NHL. He will offer you nothing beyond his shot.

If you put him on the top powerplay unit, double shift some forwards and don't give him any 5v5 time, I could see it working. But do you really want to tax the rest of your forwards just so you can have a powerplay triggerman with a hell of a shot in the lineup? You are playing 4 on 5 when he's on the ice, but with the added factor that he'll release a 100 MPH 1-timer if you get it to him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Here's the thing with Kovalchuk. In theory, his shot is exactly what the top powerplay unit needs. It's an absolute rocket, it's a 1-timer that would be the best of any Penguin from the left half-wall during the Crosby era, even better than Iginla's. He's not a bad skater, but I can't tell if he's just average speed on a slow team or if he's actually a good skater. I'd be willing to bet it's the former, though. The issue is that's where the positives end. If you get Kovalchuk, you're getting as pure of a triggerman as you can possibly get in the NHL. He will offer you nothing beyond his shot.

If you put him on the top powerplay unit, double shift some forwards and don't give him any 5v5 time, I could see it working. But do you really want to tax the rest of your forwards just so you can have a powerplay triggerman with a hell of a shot in the lineup? You are playing 4 on 5 when he's on the ice, but with the added factor that he'll release a 100 MPH 1-timer if you get it to him.

I think Kovalchuk has been fine in the Kings games I’ve seen. Also, dude is all heart tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad