Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm less concerned with current production than I am with whether or not the guy coming back would be a good fit with our team and style. Obviously, numbers are nice, but if a guy would be a great fit on a line with Geno-Rust or on a pairing with Marino, I don't really care what his current numbers are.

So do you want a scoring winger now or just someone who fits? We do have 8 players ranging from 22 goals to 45 goals on a 82 game basis so far this season. Scoring isn’t really a problem.

In terms of D I think we are good too. Better than Schultz/Pettersson as a #4 shouldn’t be a need.

If you can get better sure but usually to get good players you have to give up good players. We have a GM who’s pretty aggressive on exploring options but if deals aren’t there they aren’t there.

Every player will have some issues too just because they are a different player doesn’t mean you automatically get better. Sometimes you get worse. Sometimes you get better.

I still think we will be contending hard if healthy as is or just minor stuff.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So do you want a scoring winger now or just someone who fits? We do have 8 players ranging from 22 goals to 45 goals on a 82 game basis so far this season. Scoring isn’t really a problem.

In terms of D I think we are good too. Better than Schultz/Pettersson as a #4 shouldn’t be a need.

If you can get better sure but usually to get good players you have to give up good players. We have a GM who’s pretty aggressive on exploring options but if deals aren’t there they aren’t there.

Every player will have some issues too just because they are a different player doesn’t mean you automatically get better. Sometimes you get worse. Sometimes you get better.

I still think we will be contending hard if healthy as is or just minor stuff.
I want a guy that fits but has the potential to succeed in the role he'll be played in. I'm not looking for a Carl Hagelin to masquerade as Jake on Geno's line. But I do think a guy with "lower" production like Kreider would find another level here, so his current production on the Rangers isn't a factor for me.

Schultz has been a ghost offensively and bad defensively while Petts has had way too many games where he's been flat-out awful. Neither of those guys are 2nd pairing defensemen to me right now if we're serious about contending.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I want a guy that fits but has the potential to succeed in the role he'll be played in. I'm not looking for a Carl Hagelin to masquerade as Jake on Geno's line. But I do think a guy with "lower" production like Kreider would find another level here, so his current production on the Rangers isn't a factor for me.

Schultz has been a ghost offensively and bad defensively while Petts has had way too many games where he's been flat-out awful. Neither of those guys are 2nd pairing defensemen to me right now if we're serious about contending.

Id say Kreider would be a bad fit for Malkin-Rust. He’s not very smart at all.

Pettersson will be fine. Probably not as bad as you think especially when you compare to any realistic #4D that we could get.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Chucky for Saad
Bjugstad for a Frolik type

Saad-Sid-Kahun
Guentzel-Geno-Rust
Frolik-Mccann-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Saad, Gustafsson or DeHaan are all fine for me...
And yea anyone but Bogo for BUF D.
Frolik is very meh for me.
This team needs a top 6 winger to bump everything down one.
They have plenty of bottom 6'ers in PIT/Wilkes.

Saad is pretty up there for me.
If Zucker's one of the ideal gets, he's not far behind him. My opinion of course.
He'd never be in Sully's dog house, believe he's a great fit style wise and guarenteed 25-30 goal scorer playing beside Sid and/or G.
Plus he PK's and rarely gets injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: ownal

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Could Chucky for Saad work? I could see Chucky's UFA status being a positive to Chicago...?

Saad-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

would be an interesting top 6 for us.

Reactions: Trade

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Could Chucky for Saad work? I could see Chucky's UFA status being a positive to Chicago...?

Saad-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

would be an interesting top 6 for us.
1C50CAF3-15C5-40C5-A8F7-516BB0A90EF3.gif

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Chucky for Saad
Bjugstad for a Frolik type

Saad-Sid-Kahun
Guentzel-Geno-Rust
Frolik-Mccann-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Why is Chicago selling low on Saad? For cap space and maybe futures? I'm not sure what their motivation would be there to move him in such a scenario.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Saad, Gustafsson or DeHaan are all fine for me...
And yea anyone but Bogo for BUF D.
Frolik is very meh for me.
This team needs a top 6 winger to bump everything down one.
They have plenty of bottom 6'ers in PIT/Wilkes.

Saad is pretty up there for me.
If Zucker's one of the ideal gets, he's not far behind him. My opinion of course.
He'd never be in Sully's dog house, believe he's a great fit style wise and guarenteed 25-30 goal scorer playing beside Sid and/or G.
Plus he PK's and rarely gets injured.

I'm not a huge fan of Saad's deal, but I think he could at least come close to living up to it here, though I'd rather avoid it. I've always been a big DeHaan fan, and Gustafsson is also a really good defenseman. Like you said, Zucker would be ideal for me, but it appears like that will never happen. People bring up Frolik, but I'm just not sold on that. I could see him meshing well with Geno. He has just been so underwhelming over the course of his career. A ton of talent and the production doesn't match.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just have a gut feeling that JR is going to go off after the new year with trades. The fact this team has won in spite of absolutely everything is incredible. Geno's rolling. His depth guys are all producing. Two solid goaltenders. Probably the most solid blueline we have had in a while. It all lines up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why is Chicago selling low on Saad? For cap space and maybe futures? I'm not sure what their motivation would be there to move him in such a scenario.

If they move Saad they are shifting to a retool. They will want someone like Addison back in return so they can revamp that blueline.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My thing about re-acquiring Sheary is he's never been more than okay in the playoffs overall and I'm not sure he'd play here when everyone was fit. He'd be useful regular season but I trust the team there enough that I'd rather have a pick for Chucky - retain if needs be - and rather ride the guys that started in WBS. And also have the space and pick to shop more effectively if a chance comes up later.

Here's my logic for why it might make sense for them.

Saad's contract is up at the end of next year - Chicago will not be competitive in that time - so if they have doubts about re-signing him, then a trade at some point will be the best.

He's more valuable now than he will be this summer due to teams paying for one play-offs rather than two. He also has a partial NTC clause that kicks in this summer that will also affect his value.

Therefore, trading Saad sooner than later makes sense unless they think they're going to resign him and he'll play a part in their next wave/think they can contend next season. NHL teams get unduly optimistic all the time, so maybe they do, but they shouldn't.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Galchenyuk for Saad would actually be a pretty bad deal for the Penguins due to the cap implications, and if Saad wasn't from Pittsburgh, I don't think anyone would be suggesting it.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Galchenyuk for Saad would actually be a pretty bad deal for the Penguins due to the cap implications, and if Saad wasn't from Pittsburgh, I don't think anyone would be suggesting it.

My interest is that Saad is in the top 30 forwards for relative xGF% this year and he's always been strong in that category. His 5v5 production has taken a dip since his best days but not so much that I think it couldn't be re-found on a better team.

My desire for any incoming wing is a strong two-way force who drives quality scoring chances, and with the skill to produce consistently in a top 6 role and with the pace/IQ to play Sully's system. And when I compare that to the list of potentially available forwards, Saad's name is on a very short list that fits both.

Yes, the cap implications at the end of the season would be ugly, but his potential ceiling here would be worth it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My interest is that Saad is in the top 30 forwards for relative xGF% this year and he's always been strong in that category. His 5v5 production has taken a dip since his best days but not so much that I think it couldn't be re-found on a better team.

My desire for any incoming wing is a strong two-way force who drives quality scoring chances, and with the skill to produce consistently in a top 6 role and with the pace/IQ to play Sully's system. And when I compare that to the list of potentially available forwards, Saad's name is on a very short list that fits both.

Yes, the cap implications at the end of the season would be ugly, but his potential ceiling here would be worth it.

The issue is that I don't see 45 ES points and good analytics to be worth $6 million, when you can probably get 30-35 ES points and good analytics out of Simon on the top line for $750k. If the Penguins acquire Saad, he essentially has to be a 60 point player for that to be worth it. The Penguins are so deep on the wings that they can't say $6 million for 45 ES points and good analytics is a good use of money. I think you're putting too high of an emphasis on analytics to say that he'd be worth acquiring at $6 million.

I also don't really view a 2-way winger to be a need for the Penguins. They need a goal scorer to play with Malkin or Crosby, not another 2-way guy. They already have probably McCann and Rust as 2-way top-6 forwards when healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except, you know, Kahun can actually stay upright for most of a shift.

Uh okay? How does that have to do with what I said? Sheary falling over a lot (which is super overstated by Penguins fans, but whatever) and being bad defensively is why he's worse than Kahun, but that's totally irrelevant in the discussion for how they fit the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad