Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Quicksand steals my shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ehlers would be amazing. Drouin would also be nice.

I’m dreaming.
Ehlers would be fantastic. His name was brought up quite a bit this summer and I'd love to see him here.

Doubt Ehlers or Drouin are available for what we'd be willing to trade though. Maybe if Schultz was from Quebec, we could lure Drouin out of Montreal. :laugh:

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People who are saying "just dump Galchenyuk for a pick" are ignoring that he's making essentially $5 million a year when a lot of teams that would want him are cash strapped. There are 11 teams with enough prorated cap space to take on Galchenyuk right now, and of those 11 teams, I think only 3 or 4 of them (Nashville, Anaheim, LAK and Colorado) might be interested in him. The teams that you'd logically guess would be very interested in him (Edmonton, Boston, Calgary and Buffalo stick out as options) have like no cap space.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That may be true, he definitely had his spurts, but he's really only put together one good season. He's on pace for a 3rd straight 30ish point season, and with a 3M hit. If he were on his ELC sure, at 3M pass.

Well, one thing you want to factor in with Sheary is he's not a first unit power play guy and almost all his production comes 5 on 5. An 18 goal season doesn't sound like much for a "top 6 player," but when 16 or 17 of those goals are 5 on 5, he's doing just fine. In 2017-18, which we're not counting as a good year, Sheary had as many even strength goals as Draisaitl and more than guys like Trochek or Pavelski.

He's not Jake (obviously), but he can produce in the ice time he's given.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, sure, given the option between the two I'd probably take Sheary. But it just seems... weird. We're swapping two third liners while we still need a legit scoring line winger, we need to replace Schultz with a LD for Marino on the 2nd pairing, and we should be looking for a better fit than Bjugs as the 3C.

I'd much, much rather just dump AG for a pick and bank all the cap versus swapping him for another flawed third line winger while only saving a couple million.

We don’t need anything We are good enough to win a cup as is. We also shouldn’t have cap problems coming up to the deadline either and Chuckey will be difficult to move just for a pick

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We don’t need anything We are good enough to win a cup as is. We also shouldn’t have cap problems coming up to the deadline either and Chuckey will be difficult to move just for a pick
Hard disagree. We need a scoring line winger, at the very least, and I don't like our blueline at all beyond Dumo-Letang and Marino.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ehlers would be amazing. Drouin would also be nice.

I’m dreaming.

Ehlers is probably Winnipeg’s best forward this year, in a year where their top six looks really good. He won’t be available for anything short of Marino++. Droning is weird. I’m not sure he would fit with Sid or Geno.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
In fairness, Crosby probably fixes that.

I'm not sure Crosby is the elixir to horrible zone entry. That's on coaching. PP2 does a far better job at entering the zone...I fail to see why PP1 can't seem to do it.

Edit: actually JK I do see why. PP1 does the "backpass of death" which leads to 4 players being stationary at the other blue line while 1 guy tries to carry the puck through. PP2 isn't swagged out enough to do that nonsense so they actually attack in a wave with speed. You're welcome Mr. Sullivan that'll be $100,000.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Have you seen how rusty and kahun been scoring
Yes. I've watched Rust for years and know he's extremely streaky, and I've seen Sullivan refuse to reward Kahun for his impressive play despite a revolving door of injuries. :laugh:

This team is better than it was a year ago, but it has work to do before we're a legit contender again, imo. Not many moves, but significant ones nonetheless.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'm sure its been mentioned before, but would anyone do the straight up, one-for-one switch of AG with Granlund? I know he's looked similarly languid and is on pace for 36 points on the year. Another one who looks out of place, just rolling the dice as a pure "change of scenery" move that wouldnt cost us anything in futures.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm less concerned with current production than I am with whether or not the guy coming back would be a good fit with our team and style. Obviously, numbers are nice, but if a guy would be a great fit on a line with Geno-Rust or on a pairing with Marino, I don't really care what his current numbers are.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm less concerned with current production than I am with whether or not the guy coming back would be a good fit with our team and style. Obviously, numbers are nice, but if a guy would be a great fit on a line with Geno-Rust or on a pairing with Marino, I don't really care what his current numbers are.

Sheary would literally be an amazing fit with this team, though. He plays the same style as Kahun and Kahun looks awesome here.

Again, what's the issue with a McCann-Crosby-Sheary line?

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes. I've watched Rust for years and know he's extremely streaky, and I've seen Sullivan refuse to reward Kahun for his impressive play despite a revolving door of injuries. :laugh:

This team is better than it was a year ago, but it has work to do before we're a legit contender again, imo. Not many moves, but significant ones nonetheless.

I don't think Kahun is a natural fit with Malkin. Kahun belongs next to Sid and you'll see that in Sid's 1st game back in 2-3 weeks.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sheary would literally be an amazing fit with this team, though. He plays the same style as Kahun and Kahun looks awesome here.

Having to speculate on "Sheery" versus "Sherry" for one

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Kahun is a natural fit with Malkin. Kahun belongs next to Sid and you'll see that in Sid's 1st game back in 2-3 weeks.
Kahun's play was well improved before Sid even went down. He's also getting an average of 13 minutes of ice time a night.

Agreed on the Sid thing though. I think Jake-Sid-Kahun is just a much better Jake-Sid-Simon, and for as bewildering as that line's success was (Simon's a remora), it was very successful (it was Sid and Jake).

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I wouldn’t say amazing. Kahun is definitely better defensively and isn’t pushed off the puck like Sheary. But he’s a decent option to move around the lineup.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kahun's play was well improved before Sid even went down. He's also getting an average of 13 minutes of ice time a night.

Agreed on the Sid thing though. I think Jake-Sid-Kahun is just a much better Jake-Sid-Simon, and for as bewildering as that line's success was (Simon's a remora), it was very successful (it was Sid and Jake).

Kahun isn't seeing PP1 time...maybe he should be since he's smart/skilled. He also doesn't PK.

I'm not fussed about his ice time. Once we have Crosby/Malkin healthy we'll have a top-6 again instead of a one-line team with 3 others. At that point he'll be getting 16-18.

I looked up what "remora" means - a kind of fish that sticks to stuff? If that was real and not a typo, A+ metaphor. I'm sure a certain SEAL will probably compare you to one soon enough when you disagree with one of his opinions.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Kahun isn't seeing PP1 time...maybe he should be since he's smart/skilled. He also doesn't PK.

I'm not fussed about his ice time. Once we have Crosby/Malkin healthy we'll have a top-6 again instead of a one-line team with 3 others. At that point he'll be getting 16-18.

I looked up what "remora" means - a kind of fish that sticks to stuff? If that was real and not a typo, A+ metaphor. I'm sure a certain SEAL will probably compare you to one soon enough when you disagree with one of his opinions.
Yeah, it wasn't a typo. :laugh:

SEAL? I ignored that dude months ago. :laugh: He discusses things with all the eloquence and courtesy of a teenager that just got told they can't go to the mall with their friends. Clown.

Some people around here just genuinely don't deserve to have their posts read by others. :laugh: I'd be surprised if the handful or so that I have ignored aren't ignored by like 90% of the forum, with the other 10% just reading their posts to laugh at them.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, it wasn't a typo. :laugh:

SEAL? I ignored that dude months ago. :laugh: He discusses things with all the eloquence and courtesy of a teenager that just got told they can't go to the mall with their friends. Clown.

Some people around here just genuinely don't deserve to have their posts read by others. :laugh: I'd be surprised if the handful or so that I have ignored aren't ignored by like 90% of the forum, with the other 10% just reading their posts to laugh at them.

I don't think most people use the ignore feature. Then again, the ones that do might be ignoring me themselves =).

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I wouldn’t say amazing. Kahun is definitely better defensively and isn’t pushed off the puck like Sheary. But he’s a decent option to move around the lineup.

I liked Sheary but watching him fall over inanimate objects is seared into my memory at this point.

I want another righty, too. If we're bringing back ex-Pens Kapanen is still the best forward target, by far.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think Kahun is better for those reasons, but I don't think that makes Sheary a worse fit here. Outside of being bad defensively, I think Sheary fits the team almost perfectly. The team right now is a fast, relentless and responsible team, Sheary hits 2 of those 3.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad