Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Please go full Redden on JJ's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Really curious to see how much JR has to give up.

Also assuming JJ is as good as gone, I nominate Bjugstad for whipping boy.

Bjugs looked really solid last year. I don't think he was a big issue. But then he became softer and softer and softer and softer. And this preseason he was AWFUL. So I think you are on to something.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Saw on Twitter:

To DET: Johnson, Jarry, & 2020 4th
To PIT: Daley with 50% retained

I think I would do that. Would rather a pick comes back with Daley but...if it was that or nothing, i would easily accept. Not sure what Daley has left in the tank but if we could pair him Pettersson or even Gudbranson, that could be an interesting pairing.

Iirc, they sent Soderberg out for cap space, and accepted getting Connauton in order to get it. I wasn't aware of him having a good rep.

All I really remembered was the Connauton for Soderberg trade, I didn't recall the circumstances surrounding it. I think he's always been viewed at the typical 3rd pairing guy. A 29yo UFA dman at 1.375mil? I can't imagine a more ideal return TBH.

The fantasy in me has Bjugstad, JJ, and something else going out for Zadorov :)

I do feel that Gudbranson & Schultz are going to be competing this year for who will be the 2nd RD going forward.

If they Gudbranson continues to play at a 2nd pairing level for us, they could easily let Schultz walk after this season and run with Letang, Gudbranson, Marino down the right side next year.

Or if he doesn't, or if Schultz plays better and has reasonable demands on his next contact, they'll move Gudbranson & go Letang, Schultz, Marino next year.

No, I don't think that is what will happen. Ideally, you have a first pair and two second pairs. At most, I can see them pairing Petts-Guds as one and then pairing Schultz with Riikola or Marino or something in hopes that you get a similar 2nd pairing level amount of play out of them. That said, I don't think they are looking at Guds as any sort of replacement for Schultz nor is their any competition on the depth chart so to speak. Schultz's skating ability is just flat out more valuable to us.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Saw on Twitter:

To DET: Johnson, Jarry, & 2020 4th
To PIT: Daley with 50% retained

I think I would do that. Would rather a pick comes back with Daley but...if it was that or nothing, i would easily accept. Not sure what Daley has left in the tank but if we could pair him Pettersson or even Gudbranson, that could be an interesting pairing.

No, I don't think that is what will happen. Ideally, you have a first pair and two second pairs. At most, I can see them pairing Petts-Guds as one and then pairing Schultz with Riikola or Marino or something in hopes that you get a similar 2nd pairing level amount of play out of them. That said, I don't think they are looking at Guds as any sort of replacement for Schultz nor is their any competition on the depth chart so to speak. Schultz's skating ability is just flat out more valuable to us.

For that trade suggestion, I do that every day and 7 times on Sunday. Oh, look what day of the week it is! But I don't see how that deal is beneficial to Detroit.

And if the team wants to bring back Galchenyuk, and I believe they do and will, they're going to have to cut cost elsewhere.

Especially with the number of other contacts up after this year.

If Marino progresses, having him replace Gudbranson saves the team $4M+ and letting Schultz go saves up to $7M+.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What's really crazy is even with that garbage roster Edmonton can't afford his cap hit without us eating or taking a salary back.

So what are we taking back? Russell? Koskinen? Neal?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What's really crazy is even with that garbage roster Edmonton can't afford his cap hit without us eating or taking a salary back.

So what are we taking back? Russell? Koskinen? Neal?
Neal will never come back here again, didn't Mario himself call him out?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would almost feel bad if he went to Edmonton. I mean, I would cheer that he's gone from the Penguins...but I would also feel bad for the Edmonton fans. They've been through a lot. It would like that episode of the Brady Bunch where Greg wants to sell the old beater car he bought to his unsuspecting friend. He wants to recoup his money...but in the end he feels bad because his friend his a decent guy who just doesn't know any better.

Edmonton would be a hard sell too. We'd most likely have to take a contract back and then bury someone. If that's the case, why not just bury Johnson and save the assets?

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That doesn't do anything for the Penguins though. The point of moving JJ is to clear cap and make Riikola am everyday player.

Something that I did find interesting in the article about how he's maybe getting traded is that the Pens believe Riikola has surpassed JJ in the depth chart and they don't want to pay 3m+ to someone to sit in the press box.

And if that's their sincere belief then yeah, taking back Russell doesn't work. If however that's a bit of spin, then maybe Russell would be great.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe Gonch can help Russell? probably not, he's like 32 or something. Probably just trade him for someone like Daley who's on an expiring contract anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad