Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Please go full Redden on JJ's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Edmonton liked one of: Jarry, ZAR, Simon, Johnson...I would totally do that.

JJ+ZAR/Jarry for JP...a'ok by me.

Yeah, in all seriousness, I'd be quite happy if they could get Puljujarvi on the cheap. I'd lean away from using Simon if they don't have to, though. If it were JJ + not the 1st/not Rust for not Russell + Puljujarvi I'd take it and run.

Russell is just a debate of more cap for less time. I'd easily take whichever of Manning or Benning is the bad one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We will blame you most of all.

I'm fine with that :laugh:

I've been adamant for a while that Johnson is viewed differently by GMs than by fans. GMs have viewed him to be way better than fans for years. If GMs had the same view as fans, Johnson wouldn't have been an Olympian, wouldn't have gotten 2 big long-term deals and wouldn't have been a #1D for over half a decade.

I don't know what exactly it will cost to move him, but I think it should cost less than what fans expect. The reason I'm not sure what the trade will look like is because I don't know what the Penguins want to get back for him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm fine with that :laugh:

I've been adamant for a while that Johnson is viewed differently by GMs than by fans. GMs have viewed him to be way better than fans for years. If GMs had the same view as fans, Johnson wouldn't have been an Olympian, wouldn't have gotten 2 big long-term deals and wouldn't have been a #1D for over half a decade.

I don't know what exactly it will cost to move him, but I think it should cost less than what fans expect. The reason I'm not sure what the trade will look like is because I don't know what the Penguins want to get back for him.

It's my nature to expect the worst.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What's really crazy is even with that garbage roster Edmonton can't afford his cap hit without us eating or taking a salary back.

So what are we taking back? Russell? Koskinen? Neal?

I Actually could see this deal happening because there number 3 LD is worse than JJ. Maybe JJ for Manning. We save $1 million cap hit and his contract is in last year. As much flack as JJ gets around this board he is clearly better than Manning by any standard. Would love to get rid of JJ with losing nothing.

Reactions: Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We will see. I honestly have no idea what the trade will look like.

If I had to make a guess by pulling it out of my ass, I'd say this would be the deal: Simon, JJ and a conditional 2021 2nd for a $2 million depth forward. The conditional pick would be based on how Simon does, if he's great I think that pick goes away. You'll replace Simon with that expensive depth player and get out of the JJ contract.

Just using Detroit as an example, I could see that package for Glendening being a reasonable idea. Glendening is a guy you can stash as a 4th line PKer/extra forward, but he makes $1.8 million this year and next year. If you make Blueger your 3C, Glendening is a guy that can push Lafferty for the 4C spot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
You all know when the trade is much much worse than this speculation I am blaming all of you.

Bah. We'll get a 1st for JJ and use it to draft the next generational talent.

It's interesting, tbh. I think any GM not early in a rebuild or at least swapping an equally bad contract is making a mistake by acquiring him. But we all know all it takes is one GM making a stupid decision and you get a Scuderi for Daley. You've got a GM in crisis with the Jets and a GM who hasn't been good for years who was allegedly interested in JJ as a free agent. I'd consider not paying a terrible price a win but there's a sliver of potential for someone making a massive mistake.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I really thought a deal with JJ would get done much sooner. It appeared Kessel put an end to that possibility (earlier this summer). But I always maintained or believed this would get done one way or another. We're not quite there yet but hopefully very very soon.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Russell for JJ is something I’ve been pushing. Would be a Scuderi for Daley type deal in terms of fit.

With the cap situation of both teams, I don't think a Russell for JJ swap could work. Rather, I could see us having to eat Brandon Manning contact plus add a forward Simon/ZAR/Kahun. Depending on the forward we have to give, I'd try to get Caleb Jones (who they sent back to the AHL again) added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad