Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Please go full Redden on JJ's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Interesting player on waivers today:

Connauton going to the AHL opens up a spot for Johnson in the NHL. They'd have Barberio as their extra D in that case.

What about Winnipeg w/o Buff? They have 1 regular NHLer, right? What if we loaded up Ruh/JJ or (sadly) Riiko/JJ so they could have NHLers lol.

I mean sure, i'll take Ehlers. :sarcasm: OBVIOUSLY.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Not posting as a source but thought it was funny and could be a possible destination

B67128C2-3FF2-479F-84ED-CAD96D29D12D.jpeg

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think JJ is gone today. Rutherford has already told him that he has several deals with him as part of it. It is very likely Rutherford ends up taking one of the deals. He doesn’t sound high on those deals but looks like he will bite the bullet. I still don’t think the price will be near what people on these boards are acting like.

It was nice that JJ had a good game and skated faster than I have seen him in a while on a day when 4 teams had scouts in attendance.:nod:

I am keeping the hope alive. I would not give up much when you can be under the cap by sending our 5th RD option down in Rhuwedel. Why give up much when you can be cap compliant that easy? Next year JJ’s buy out is not near as bad.

Reactions: td_ice and Andy99

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Penguins are probably going to have to take a defenseman back for Johnson, and Barberio could be that guy. That solves that problem.

Him or Connauton. Both have similar cap hits and salaries. And honestly if JJ was going the other way I wouldn't care. Hell I'd take both. Would cost us 2.95m, but would only count against the cap for 725k (with both buried).

Barberio: 1.45 AAV, 1.45m
Connauton: 1.375 AAV, 1.5m.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wouldn't rule out DET or WPG.
DET's PK was and still is bad so i can see them actually wanting a guy who did fairly well at it last season in JJ.
They also have 2 overpaid 4th liners right now in Helm and Abdelkader.

And WPG just seems like they may want another veteran D-man. Currently running Beaulieu-Niku as their 2nd pairing and Pionk's on their 1st.

Reactions: ColePens

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll throw in ANA as well:

ab4a1a41fedb678f7829dbacd5e15d1c.png

with lots of cap room.
(ANA/DET were the 2 teams wanting to sign him as well last summer.)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
DET's PK was and still is bad so i can see them actually wanting a guy who did fairly well at it last season in JJ.

And WPG just seems like they may want another veteran D-man. Currently running Beaulieu-Niku as their 2nd pairing and Pionk's on their 1st.
I'd do JJ for Helm at 3M. ;)

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'll throw in ANA as well:

ab4a1a41fedb678f7829dbacd5e15d1c.png

with lots of cap room.

Why exactly do they need to add a LD Guhle is their Montour replacement and Larsson is why they thought they could move Petts.

Not to mention Anaheim has an internal cap. Highly doubt they are taking on that contract unless they are moving out something like Eaves who is likely covered by insurance anyway.

Reactions: KIRK and Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

And WPG just seems like they may want another veteran D-man. Currently running Beaulieu-Niku as their 2nd pairing.

I agree that with one exception, Winnipeg would be a strong candidate for him. However how would they get under the cap if Byf returned? They have 7.7m in cap space with a full roster. Byf's cap hit is 7.6m. To take on JJ, even with some retention, they would still need to send ~2.5/3m back (or elsewhere). And looking at their players and their respective contracts... I don't see too many candidates.

Also re Winnipeg. Who would have thought that in one off season they could have lost all 3 of their RD, Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why exactly do they need to add a LD Guhle is their Montour replacement and Larsson is why they thought they could move Petts.

Not to mention Anaheim has an internal cap.
Highly doubt they are taking on that contract unless they are moving out something like Eaves who is likely covered by insurance anyway.

Guhle, Larsson and Mahure is why they thought they could move MP.

That and that they're paying Perry 9.25m over the next 2 seasons and 13.25m total over the next 4 years. So while yes they have cap space... odds are they're not going to want to spend all that much of it unless they have to - at least for the next season or so until the bulk of Perry's payments are off the books.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
We don't have the room for him but I think some team lacking a proper 4th line would be happy with A.J. Greer.

I don’t know if he has the ability/IQ to slide up into the top 9 for spot duty like ZAR, but I feel like he’d be a better 4th liner if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Riptide

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Not to mention Anaheim has an internal cap. Highly doubt they are taking on that contract unless they are moving out something like Eaves who is likely covered by insurance anyway.

Mainly cuz of...

I can see a team who was bad at the PK last season perhaps wanting to take on JJ.

Worst PK%'s last season:

CHI, EDM, LA, DET, OTT, WPG, CGY, ANA(left out the Metro teams)

LA, DET, OTT, ANA < are the ones with enough cap room...
(i also remember DET and ANA were in on him when he signed...)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guhle, Larsson and Mahure is why they thought they could move MP.

That and that they're paying Perry 9.25m over the next 2 seasons and 13.25m total over the next 4 years. So while yes they have cap space... odds are they're not going to want to spend all that much of it unless they have to - at least for the next season or so until the bulk of Perry's payments are off the books.

They didn’t have Guhle when they traded Petts, but yeah spot on.

Reactions: Riptide

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'll again give JR credit for recognizing his mistakes and trying to rectify them (if the rumours are indeed true). But giving JJ that contract in the first place was such a ridiculous blunder that it's impossible to understand, unlike acquiring Reaves where you could at least see what he was thinking.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I agree that with one exception, Winnipeg would be a strong candidate for him. However how would they get under the cap if Byf returned? They have 7.7m in cap space with a full roster. Byf's cap hit is 7.6m. To take on JJ, even with some retention, they would still need to send ~2.5/3m back (or elsewhere). And looking at their players and their respective contracts... I don't see too many candidates.

Also re Winnipeg. Who would have thought that in one off season they could have lost all 3 of their RD, Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers?

You've got to figure two things with Winnipeg and their terrible situation. They know what Byfuglien is thinking and/or they can't structure their team around what he might, maybe, possibly do at some point.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
They still have Graves and Barberio for the 6/7D spots.
So if something like Johnson+ for Barberio...
Cap space = $1.468 (23 man roster)

Dumoulin Letang
Pettersson Schultz
Riikola Gudbranson
Barberio Ruhwedel

(Marino first call-up)

Avs:
Cap space: $5.645 (23 man roster)

Girard Johnson
Zadorov Makar
Graves Cole
Johnson

(Connauton first call-up)

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think people should brace themselves for us taking on a bad player or contract in return for JJ.

Still totally happy that he will be gone though.

Can you think of any bad contracts out there that are sufficiently lower than JJ's that moving him allows us to get cap compliant though? I mean, I'm braced for anything, but the maths here seems against that idea.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad