Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Pets is signed, so now back to JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Murray. Galchenyuk. Schultz.

These are players that are going to either need to be re-signed or replaced. Losing any of them without replacing them for the sake of a 1st rounder that isn't even going to be an on-ice factor for years, if ever, would be a terrible mistake.

You can re-sign Murray for $7 million AAV and Galchenyuk for $6 million AAV easily. You're making an issue out of nothing, and again, it's $2 million in cap space. That's the difference between being able to keep one of Rust or Bjugstad and having to trade both.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah Rusty struggled at the beginning of the season, and I'm sure even Bryan would tell you he was worthless, but the dude turned it all around and was incredible. He's worth his money.

It's funny. Rusty proved in the playoffs and in the regular season he's worth 3.5. Tanev has not. And (minority) people want to move Rusty because he's not a new toy.

Well, it’s actually because analytics show Simon and McCann were better fits there. But, I agree.

People wanting to just give away Rust seem to forget he was fourth in ES goals from our forwards last year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You can re-sign Murray for $7 million AAV and Galchenyuk for $6 million AAV easily. You're making an issue out of nothing, and again, it's $2 million in cap space. That's the difference between being able to keep one of Rust or Bjugstad and having to trade both.

That's an extremely optimistic projection considering the natural cap inflation and what Vasilevsky and Bobrovsky made this year. Friggin Varlamov - 6 years older and far worse than Murray - got a 4 year, 20 mil contract this summer.

And that doesn't even address Schultz or Pettersson.

We need all the space we can get. Prioritizing a 1st rounder that might make an impact in 2023 over 2 mil in cap space a season for the next 4 years is misguided.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With an $83.5 million cap, this team has $3 million to fill XXXX:

-Rust and Bjugstad for futures
-RFAs: McCann ($3 million), Pettersson ($3 million), Kahun ($3 million), Murray ($7 million), Simon ($1 million), Riikola ($1 million), Johnson ($700k) and Lafferty ($700k)
-UFAs: Galchenyuk ($6 million)

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Johnson
Lafferty-Other WBS young player

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-XXXXX
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

I'm not trading a 1st rounder to that $3 million turns into $5 million.

That's an extremely optimistic projection considering the natural cap inflation and what Vasilevsky and Bobrovsky made this year. Friggin Varlamov - 6 years older and far worse than Murray - got a 4 year, 20 mil contract last season.

And that doesn't even address Schultz or Pettersson.

No, $7 million for Murray is an absolute max prediction. He's not getting more than that, a $6.5-$7 million extension for Murray is right around where he's going to fall.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

-RFAs: McCann ($3 million), Pettersson ($3 million), Kahun ($3 million), Murray ($7 million), Simon ($1 million), Riikola ($1 million, Johnson ($700k) and Lafferty ($700k)

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-XXXXX
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

No, $7 million for Murray is an absolute max prediction. He's not getting more than that, a $6.5-$7 million extension for Murray is right around where he's going to fall.

That roster is horrible tbh. Like 14-15 bad. Also, where did JJ go?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Coughdrop has totally shut down the prospect of JJ playing next season, he's getting more than 1m (also I could believe a half million added onto most of Empo's valuations, they're on the optimistic side imo) and if he hasn't, JJ's not getting waived and he's taking a place and this is about a lot more than 2m of value.

edit: Also, if Pettersson's played well enough to make Schultz redundant, he's certainly getting more than 3m.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol okay whatever you say.

Calling that roster horrible is just asininely stupid, and pretending that Johnson's $2 million cap hit is what is making that roster horrible is even more stupid.

Calling a roster with Petterson and Gudbranson as your second pairing and Brandon Tanev on the 2nd line is asinine?

I guess if we judge in 20 games sample sizes or Michelle Crackeolo (spelling check lol)’s tweets about a day of training camp it makes sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Calling a roster with Petterson and Gudbranson as your second pairing and Brandon Tanev on the 2nd line is asisine?

Wait, do the Penguins not have Brandon Tanev on their 2nd line right now? Is their roster right now horrible too?

If you seriously think keeping or losing Schultz is the difference between this roster being bad or not....well I recommend you don't watch the Penguins next year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

-RFAs: McCann ($3 million), Pettersson ($3 million), Kahun ($3 million), Murray ($7 million), Simon ($1 million), Riikola ($1 million), Johnson ($700k) and Lafferty ($700k)

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Tanev
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-XXXXX
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

Sweet Jesus. Gudbranson on the 2nd pair through Sid and Geno's window all to avoid parting with a 1st rounder.

source.gif

I'll bet you that Murray makes at least 8 mil per on his next deal. Suggesting otherwise just ignores all comparables. It's crazytown.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wait, do the Penguins not have Brandon Tanev on their 2nd line right now? Is their roster right now horrible too?

If you seriously think keeping or losing Schultz is the difference between this roster being bad or not....well I recommend you don't watch the Penguins next year.

The Penguins have not played a single exhibition game.

I know you’re known for knee jerk reactions. But anointing Tanev to the 2nd line next year because of a couple tweets and scrimmages is certainly something.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Coughdrop has totally shut down the prospect of JJ playing next season, he's getting more than 1m (also I could believe a half million added onto most of Empo's valuations, they're on the optimistic side imo) and if he hasn't, JJ's not getting waived and he's taking a place and this is about a lot more than 2m of value.

edit: Also, if Pettersson's played well enough to make Schultz redundant, he's certainly getting more than 3m.

Who can you add half a million on to? If guys like Kahun, McCann and such are going to be getting more than that, you look to trade them too. That's regardless of how you handle Johnson. If Kahun's lining up to make $4+ million, you trade him because he had a great season and he'd bring back a great return.

The Penguins have not played a single exhibition game.

Okay? Well Brandon Tanev is still playing with Evgeni Malkin right now, so your comment is wrong.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Calling a roster with Petterson and Gudbranson as your second pairing and Brandon Tanev on the 2nd line is asisine?

Well yes.. defense is an issue. That's for sure. But the offense is back to young, speed, skilled. Tanev on L2 is just to make the 4 lines work. That is something that we've had quite a bit of success doing. I mean ZAR/Simon are legit NHLers and they are fighting for #13. I don't think that's fair to call out.

Not every lineup can be Tampa. And look at what that is doing for Tampa. 0 Cups in the era. Best pre-season lineup though!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sweet Jesus. Gudbranson on the 2nd pair through Sid and Geno's window all to avoid parting with a 1st rounder.

source.gif

I'll bet you that Murray makes at least 8 mil per on his next deal. Suggesting otherwise just ignores all comparables. It's crazytown.

I think @Empoleon8771 has a point with Murray unless he really impresses this year. He’s much closer to what Gibson got then Bob.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well yes.. defense is an issue. That's for sure. But the offense is back to young, speed, skilled. Tanev on L2 is just to make the 4 lines work. That is something that we've had quite a bit of success doing. I mean ZAR/Simon are legit NHLers and they are fighting for #13. I don't think that's fair to call out.

Not every lineup can be Tampa. And look at what that is doing for Tampa. 0 Cups in the era. Best pre-season lineup though!

I’m not talking about our roster this year. That is a totally different argument.

I’m talking about the abortion of a roster Empo posted.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't package big assets last season BUT i would this season to just get rid of the guy.
Pens are another step forward to the end of this window and i'd rather have the cap space(to keep the good players we'll need to next summer) than the pick(s) even tho JR and cap space usually doesn't turn out too well lately...
But JR may not be the GM the next time FA'y happens so...who knows.

A lottery protected 1ST to get rid of him right now? Later alligator.

Plus on the flip side, i could recoup some assets on a Rust or Horny deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

And you think that the $2 million in cap space is going to change that? Oh wow, you have $5 million to spend on a defenseman instead of $3 million. That's so much better.

Okay, based on what? Name a single goalie who hasn't won a Vezina who is making "at least $8 million per year". Spoiler alert, there isn't one.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Eh. We don’t absolutely need the space right now so bad to where it’s worth dumping a 1st. Just get him off the ice.

I’d prefer to bury JJ to start and hopefully it’s cheaper to move him with 3 yrs left on his deal next summer. Worst case we end up having to spend a 1st then but it’ll be a 2021 at that point, which is preferable.

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Who can you add half a million on to? If guys like Kahun, McCann and such are going to be getting more than that, you look to trade them too. That's regardless of how you handle Johnson. If Kahun's lining up to make $4+ million, you trade him because he had a great season and he'd bring back a great return.

Okay? Well Brandon Tanev is still playing with Evgeni Malkin right now, so your comment is wrong.

On the 3rd day of training camp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eh. We don’t absolutely need the space right now so bad to where it’s worth dumping a 1st. Just get him off the ice.

I’d prefer to bury him and hopefully it’s cheaper to move him with 3 yrs left on his deal next summer. Worst case we end up having to spend a 1st then but it’ll be a 2021 at that point, which is preferable.

Yes, this is another thing to consider. You can always buy out Johnson if that $2 million is such a big deal, and that changes the $2 million for 3 years penalty to 5 years of $1 million penalty and 1 year of $2 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad