Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That kind of sets the market for Schultz, no? If spurgeon got 7.5 then Schultz probably gets 6.5-7. Or I guess the 6m Myers got also works as a comparable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That kind of sets the market for Schultz, no? If spurgeon got 7.5 then Schultz probably gets 6.5-7. Or I guess the 6m Myers got also works as a comparable.

No chance. Spurgeon is effectively the Wild’s # 1 D. Schultz has been 4th on our team the past two years.

I mean, if Schultz wants the money I’m sure a team will pay him 6.5-7. If he wants to stay in Pitt, doubt he goes above 6 unless he has a 50 pt season this year.

I honestly see him doing a Hornqvist like deal if he signs. Trade protection, term and a moderate 500kish bump.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Letang didn’t sign a while ago, he signed 5 seasons ago. That is why.

Just wait until Piets gets 9mil + term. Then this will make more sense.

Spurgeon's deal already makes sense next to 8m for OEL and Trouba, Doughty and Karlsson getting 11m each, Myers getting 6m etc.etc. Those are the deals to compare it to, not Letang's gloriously cheap legacy deal.

I also don't think it really changes the comparables on what's likely for Schultz. If anything, it makes it a bit lower.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just don't get how he will be able to move JJ when he is out played severely and pushed down the depth chart. How is he going to move Sid's BFF when he won't even be worth playing on the Pens.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Every RFA so far has gotten fair to above fair value. Ownership like wants to lessen term caps and extend RFA qualification. I see no reason why the players would go down that road and they likely are not getting anything better than the 50/50 deal that is present.
Only a subset of players are affected by RFA first of all, and individual salaries don't mean that much since the players' total share is fixed, so whether higher or lower is just redistributing where the money goes among players.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I don't think it sets the market for Schultz given the disparity talent wise between the two. However it should be a pretty good indication as to where things are going for quality offensive PMD, and RD in particular.

Reactions: Andy99

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sigh. This lockout is gonna suck.

And the eventual lockout has absolutely nothing to do with some of the recent contracts signed.

Given the RFA deals, I see no reason the players are going to ask for a lock out.

The players won't. But this CBA will be up in a few years either way (even if neither uses an escape clause to get out early). And when it is up, there will be a lockout as the owners push for even more favorable terms. Either a lowering of the 50/50 split, or more exemptions of HRR or whatnot, or stricter rules on contract structure (aka bonuses), or something else. The only way we avoid a lockout is when the owners have more to lose then they have to gain by locking out the players - and we're not at that point yet.

Every RFA so far has gotten fair to above fair value. Ownership like wants to lessen term caps and extend RFA qualification. I see no reason why the players would go down that road and they likely are not getting anything better than the 50/50 deal that is present.

It won't be the players looking to get more than 50/50, but the players fighting the owners to keep 50/50 (or other rights/benefits that they currently have). Every lockout we've had in the last 20 years has been the owners looking to take something from the players.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And the eventual lockout has absolutely nothing to do with some of the recent contracts signed.

The players won't. But this CBA will be up in a few years either way (even if neither uses an escape clause to get out early). And when it is up, there will be a lockout as the owners push for even more favorable terms. Either a lowering of the 50/50 split, or more exemptions of HRR or whatnot, or stricter rules on contract structure (aka bonuses), or something else. The only way we avoid a lockout is when the owners have more to lose then they have to gain by locking out the players - and we're not at that point yet.

It won't be the players looking to get more than 50/50, but the players fighting the owners to keep 50/50 (or other rights/benefits that they currently have). Every lockout we've had in the last 20 years has been the owners looking to take something from the players.

I assumed he was referring to the contract negotiations coming up which I assume will be held off until the contract is up as you are implying.

My point was that I see no reason why the players would ask for the revaluation of the contract if the ownership didn’t. For the reasons you outlined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
schultz can go either way here. He was not as good as 2017 even before the ankle injury. But hopefully that is 100% behind him and he adds that shot on the PP from the left hash.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I have no interest in resigning Schultz for more than 4.5 million. He hasn't been worth his current contract since he signed it and he certainly won't be worth a raise on it once he's 30.

Schultz has been poor enough the past two seasons that I legitimately think we experiment around with Honka type projects making less than 3 million and replace him ably without too many issues.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Letang? We paid him a similar equivalent in 15-16.
And I thought he was overpaid back then. Right now it's probably fair value.

By the time Letangs contract is up we are pretty much done. Not sure what a 34 year old Letang will get on his next contract though, but wont be 10M long term or anything.
I was more asking if he'd pay the current Letang 10m.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
These less skilled guys making huge chunks of salary cap coupled with the 50/50 games owners can play with their salaries in escrow seems like it will be an issue to me.

I am not convinced it won't matter unless salary cap jumps to over 100mil over next 3-5 years. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad