Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean everything in that article should be pretty obvious. But THN generally sucks, and their predictions definitely suck.

6819_FWJets.jpg

God, nothing is worse than the Canadian media inflating Winnipeg.

That team sucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll throw this out here too, GMJR has an interview with Madden this afternoon where GMJR apparently talked about future moves the team plans on making. He specifically mentioned their big plans for Pettersson and the "trickle down impact" on the defense. He didn't say what time that interview plays, so it may not be for another hour or two.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You mean a roster that's filled entirely with internal options? I also have no clue how he missed Legare - I'm a bigger fan of him then Poulin.
Yeah, I mean it's like half of the roster disappeared and was replaced with RFA's or ELCs.

I'm still trying to figure out why they have the Pens keeping Chucky and Kahun, but not guys like Blueger or McCann.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Madden is a super genius. He’s probably got the answer to any salary cap issue.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I'll throw this out here too, GMJR has an interview with Madden this afternoon where GMJR apparently talked about future moves the team plans on making. He specifically mentioned their big plans for Pettersson and the "trickle down impact" on the defense. He didn't say what time that interview plays, so it may not be for another hour or two.

5:00... he also mentioned what the situation would need to look like in order for Riikola to beat out JMFJ... He said that if the front office and coaching staff view Petterson as a top 4 guy then Riikola's mobility would be a better fit with Gudbranson but he added that Riikola has to have a good camp first and foremost.... He also mentioned that GMJR tried trading JMFJ so seeing him put on he back burner wouldn't be all that shocking

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like the forward depth, but balance is the problem. The Pens have so many serviceable forwards that good players will have to sit, but they can't roll out six competent defensemen. I like Tanev, but we needed a defender.

That's a fair point but even if you had forgone a forward to add a dman, you then run into problems because you've then got 9 dmen; out of the two up for cutting, one's a cheap guy with potential you'd rather not, the other is nigh impossible to move without serious pain. To me, that's the real source of the mess; having the blue line clogged up already, not the money invested in the forwards.

And I don't think it's the worst call in the world to see if that issue can be unclogged in a new season before going ahead and making the replacement.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
5:00... he also mentioned what the situation would need to look like in order for Riikola to beat out JMFJ... He said that if the front office and coaching staff view Petterson as a top 4 guy then Riikola's mobility would be a better fit with Gudbranson but he added that Riikola has to have a good camp first and foremost.... He also mentioned that GMJR tried trading JMFJ so seeing him put on he back burner wouldn't be all that shocking

He also just wrote an article about the D and says Riikola or someone would clearly have to beat out JJ at camp...otherwise he expects him to be in the top 6 and likely play with Guds...

Mark Madden: Penguins have tough decisions to make with defensemen | TribLIVE.com

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Baseless speculation time: I think they're trying out Tanev in the top-6 to see whether they can afford to move Rust or not.

I think when you have Simon, McCann, Hornqvist, and possibly ZAR...i think you alreadybhave a safe answer.

I think Tanev with Geno is more "what type of player fits with Geno?"

Reactions: Riptide

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Madden is a super genius. He’s probably got the answer to any salary cap issue.

I don't know what's worse; the fact that he claims to have an IQ of 167, or the fact that he thinks this makes him better than a homeless person. Wow.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It hurts this team to scratch or play JJ. Lol what a mess.

Please Riikola, come to camp ready to win a spot.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This chart says nothing...you have to compare how many shots he gets at those locations and look for a save % to have any meaning, even a small one...

Dont forget to correlate the timing of the goals given up.

And distance of shot.

And Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

In stats like this, I wish they would negate all goals he had no chance to save. Stuff like back door tap ins, put backs, etc. And then break it down by how many he should have saved and where they were located.

Then go even more in depth.. how many goals that went in were off rebounds that should have been directed elsewhere.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hutton apparently has an offer from LAK, as well as a few other teams...if LA loses out, perhaps they’d be interested in JJ...they’re looking for a veteran LD for their third pair and have the cap space...maybe? ...I’m still hoping....dreaming

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad