Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hell of a deal for MP. Has anyone done the math to see if the Penguins can afford a 23 man roster now? Because I feel like it's super close with MP taking his QO.

Trotman goes down for sure.
Then the brass can have a pick of who they want to send down out of Riiko, Ruh and JJ.

Ruh down gives them $368,375 in space.
Riiko down gives them $518,375 in space.
JJ down gives them $743,375 in space.

ETA: Also DeSmith vs Jarry would factor in it too. Above are CDS up, Jarry waived.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Then the brass can have a pick of who they want to send down out of Riiko, Ruh and JJ.

ETA: Also DeSmith vs Jarry would factor in it too. Above are CDS up, Jarry waived.

Sometimes I dream about waiving JJ and a team claiming him.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Trotman being sent down is a given. I think Riikola gets sent down almost ASAP to hopefully "sneak him through" waivers while other teams are figuring out their bluelines.

Edit: swapping DeSmith for Jarry and you don't have to send down a D

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Trotman being sent down is a given. I think Riikola gets sent down almost ASAP to hopefully "sneak him through" waivers while other teams are figuring out their bluelines.

It were me, i'm 100% waiving JJ simply cuz a)no one is gonna pluck him off waivers and b) maximizes the cap space.

But yea, they'll probably waive Riiko.
Still a small glimmer of hope it's JJ tho...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not sure why people are so excited about Petts deal. Kicking that down another year could really f us even more next year.

Yeah. But it's probably the best case scenario out of the realistic options.

Can't take Tanev back. Can't take JJ back and they won't trade him or waive him. Don't want to give away Rust/Bjugstad for pennies.

So I guess at least they got MP at about 200ish thousand less than I figured. Small victories. Like I said... this offseason has been a weird mixed bag. Seems like even the good stuff comes with a catch.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The back end of this will obviously be a far more arduous scenario to navigate. But in the short term, it's a huge benefit (under the circumstances).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know but it's a solid to help the Pens get cap compliant this year. Not every player wants to sign a 1 year deal. I figured a bridge deal in the 2-2.5MM range was in his best interest.

Not sure what he'd get on a 2 yr deal given what he just signed for 1 yr, but if I had to guess, I'd say that 2 years costs less than 1.5m at the extreme end of things.

Theres a special rule if you have arbitration cases open. We did when I looked into it. We dont now, forgot that was the requirement.

1 player go to arbitration. It opened a 2nd buyout date. However that player needed to make more than 3.4m or something like that (it might have been even higher). JJ wouldn't have qualified.
Giving Pettersson a short term deal takes his next contract from about a 5 year, $3 million deal to a 5 year, $4.25 million deal. Pettersson is 100% going to benefit financially by taking the 1 year deal, because he's really damn good and he's going to prove it again this year. There is no handshake agreement, rather just the common knowledge that both sides want a long-term deal after this year.

Maybe. It'll really depend on how he does this season. But I do agree that whatever he was willing to sign today almost certainly goes up if he does even half ass decent this season. But I don't think it would be as extreme as what you're suggesting above. You're talking about going from a 5 yr 15m deal to a 5 yr 21.25m deal. For that to happen, he'll have to do noticeably better than what he did last season.

It would be nice to know what Rutherford was going to sign him to if he had the cap space.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's surprisingly cheap. I'm assuming he'll get his raise next year when JR has more wiggle room to operate (assuming he doesn't blow cap space on one of next year's UFA class of bottom six/bottom pairing players).

If Rutherford can find the ability to do that in next year's cap-trostrophe, he almost deserves a medal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well I suppose this way they can at least assess the group of forwards with some games under their belt, preseason or otherwise. Give some guys they see as trade possibilities time in some varied roles, etc. Then make an informed decision. But like... what if Tanev or Kahun are the obvious odd men out when they get through this assessment process? What if Rust and Bjugstad (the names floated consistently) absolutely light it up? Where do they go from there?

Then that only increases their trade value. The thing is there's still really only 3-4 options to move. JJ, Rust, Bjugs and Gudbranson. Maybe Schultz if JR doesn't think he can afford to re-sign him or can move him for someone with term left. Seeing how guys do is fine... but when most of your players are either untouchable, not likely to get moved or just don't make enough to matter... it doesn't really change all that much from what we're looking at today.

We're not TB with 4 forwards making 4-5.5m, or Buffalo with 5 between 2-3.7m or Vancouver with 6 forwards between 3-4.4m where we can see what our options are and what the value around the league is. We have between 2-5 guys and 3 of them (Bjugs, Guds, Schultz) really depends on how they perform and what sort of options there are for them as I'd imagine we'd want/need something pretty specific for them.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Sending JJ down should save them league minimum + 375k or something like that, right? So I would think sending down JJ would save them 1.075m, which should give us about 740k, enough to bring up a guy like Adam Johnson or even Trotman. And I'd have to think Riiko would get claimed. JJ, I can't imagine, though maybe LA, they seem to have plenty of space.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
With cap going up next year, expansion coming and the ability to use draft picks to trade expensive contracts, Guds and JJ can be gone next year to open up needed space. There are just too many variables to know if it will hurt us next year. What's Murray new deal. Does Chucky even think about re signing. What do the other RFA's get. Who's moved in-season?

So much can stinking happen in a year, I think it's likely a forward still gets dealt anyway... remember 2018 when 8 games in we aquired Sheahan and then somehow made cap space to get what should have been a great 3C (Brassard, who disappointed)?

I'm in favor of keeping the cap hit as low as possible with players, so I like this and how the off season ended up. Hopefully they can move/scratch JJ eventually

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hell of a deal for MP. Has anyone done the math to see if the Penguins can afford a 23 man roster now? Because I feel like it's super close with MP taking his QO.

They still only end up with ~500k of cap space left once they send Trotman and Riikola down.

Not sure why people are so excited about Petts deal. Kicking that down another year could really f us even more next year.

It might. Or he struggles a bit this year (not uncommon with young kids in their 2nd year) and he's affordable to extend.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Jared McCann - Sidney Crosby - Jake Guentzel
Alex Galchenyuk - Evgeni Malkin- Bryan Rust
Dominik Simon - Nick Bjugstad - Patric Hornqvist
Brandon Tanev - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Kahun
ZAR

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Marcus Petterson - Justin Schultz
Juusso Riikola - Erik Gudbranson

Murray
DeSmith

Biggest story-lines for this season:

- McCann's growth with a full season on Sid's wing
- Can Geno/Galchenyuk rejuvenate each other (also a huge year for Bryan Rust to live up to his contract)
- Nick Bjugstad with a full offseason+training camp with the team
- Patric Hornqvist bounce-back season?
- Matt Murray can he be consistent and stay healthy?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sending JJ down should save them league minimum + 375k or something like that, right? So I would think sending down JJ would save them 1.075m, which should give us about 740k, enough to bring up a guy like Adam Johnson or even Trotman. And I'd have to think Riiko would get claimed. JJ, I can't imagine, though maybe LA, they seem to have plenty of space.

All the better if he gets claimed...come on LA...you know you want him back...

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
538k 22 man roster is enough to get through the season right? You just need to make sure you put a player on ltir before any call ups and you save the daily cap space right?

Like, if Rust needs two days cause his shoulder is hurting, and ZAR goes in for him, then Simon hurts his ankle. Before we call up A Johnson, we should put Simon or Rust on LTIR, right?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think this keeps us going for a while, but either someone gets a long term injury and goes to LTIR or GMJR will make a move by Christmas to open up some space.

This allows enough time for all the RFAs to get signed and teams that might take JJ have a better cap picture.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You get to bury up to 1.075m of cap in the minors by sending someone down. Ruh and Riikola make less than that, so you wouldn't get the full cap savings.

Know who does get you the whole 1.075m? JMFJ

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You get to bury up to 1.075m of cap in the minors by sending someone down. Ruh and Riikola make less than that, so you wouldn't get the full cap savings.

Know who does get you the whole 1.075m? JMFJ

I've been hoping and, to a lesser extent, expecting this for a while. JMFJ still gets paid to get out of debt and the Pens get more cap space. And this board becomes less insufferable.

Win win win.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
538k 22 man roster is enough to get through the season right? You just need to make sure you put a player on ltir before any call ups and you save the daily cap space right?

Like, if Rust needs two days cause his shoulder is hurting, and ZAR goes in for him, then Simon hurts his ankle. Before we call up A Johnson, we should put Simon or Rust on LTIR, right?

The cap is calculated on a daily basis. 538k in yearly cap space is roughly 3k a day. A player making 800k a year counts towards the daily cap for 4,370 a day. So basically for every 3 days we run a 22 man roster, we can then run a 23 man roster for 2 days. It's not perfect, but it probably gives us enough wiggle room to work with until JR decides to make a move.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Why not be happy. He could have easily gotten 1.2 and made the cap even tighter. That 300k could be huge. Out of the realistic options this was the best.

Also he is still a RFA at the end. So even if there are contract issue we still have his rights, but I see him signing a long extension Jan 1. around Dumo numbers.

Also people forget last year was his rookie year. Lets see how he fairs this year, he might have a sophomore slump which will bring his number down more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad